• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum Barrel Contours

PerformanceWeapons

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2020
Lincolnton, NC
www.shootpws.com
We’ve had issues recently with carbon fiber barrel performance with 300 PRC cartridges. We were using the Rem Varmint/Sendero (RVS, Proof Sendero Light) at 24” for ultra light rifles. We have since decided to go with M40/M24 at 22” for increased stiffness and a longer shank to better support the cartridge and provide more steel and length before the barrel is cut for the carbon fiber wrap. RVS has a 2” shank from most manufacturers and the M40/M24 has a 3” shank. However, the downside to the M40 is the 1.200 shank diameter. I would prefer the more standard and larger 1.250”.

While I don’t want to debate the pro/cons of carbon fiber barrels, I am curious who has experience with larger magnum rifles and how much barrel shank length and diameter matters and/or influences potential accuracy. Looking at contour dimensions, the Light Palma looks like it would be ideal. 1.250” shank dia X 3” long and slightly lighter than an all steel RVS.

Also curious if bedding in front of the recoil lug helps with large magnum cartridges?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Jason
Performance Weapon Systems
Lincolnton, NC