• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes magnum hunting optic

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
I just purchased a Tikka M695 in 338 win mag to fill my need for a light-weight hunting rifle for up here. I'm trying to keep the whole setup as reasonable as possible (I paid less than $400 for the rifle NIB
grin.gif
) and I was considering either a Bushnell 3200 or a Sightron SI as reasonably priced (I'd like to keep it under $250) hunting glass that could stand up to the abuse of the 338WM. Thoughts? Alternatives?

Re: magnum hunting optic

A light 338 will destroy most inexpensive (and some expensive) variables.
You got a great deal and if you must have a variable the 2.5-8 Leupold is about bulletproof (but not cheap)
I'd go with a high quality fixed 4X as it will be much more rugged and anything you want to hunt with a 338 (at ethical ranges) a 4X will do the job.( Less parts=s less problems).
Excellent article in the new Guns & Ammo on why the bigger the rifle the smaller the scope. The author even has a lightweight 338 he uses to wreck variable scopes!
Finn always said: "If a big game animal is too far away to be shot at 3X, it's too far away". Killed this boy at 250 yards with a 400 Whelen and a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan (7/8" tube).
The "utes" in camp who laughed at the old man with his 1935 rifle got real quiet......

elk2997.jpg

I actually ended up buying a Vortex Viper 2-7X32 from Scott at Libery Optics this morning. We'll see how it goes once I get it in and mounted up...

Put at least 100 full power loads through it before you drop 5 grand on a hunt AND take a spare scope.

I will put quite a few rounds through it before I take it hunting though. I prefer not to be facing an angry Brown with a scope that broke after the first round
wink.gif

This is where NF comes in. (USO & S&B also, if money is no object.)

Money's always an object. I don't buy garbage (by most people's defenition anyway) but I do have to keep things as reasonable as possible.

In the forsale section here is a Leupold VX2 3-9 for $200 that is a very proven scope and will handle the 338 punch handily.If not that one I have bought atlest 3 in this price range in the last two years.

Get a S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42mm scope - it will handle the .338 Mag.

Buy once, cry once!!!

I think you guys missed this...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalhead0483</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually ended up buying a Vortex Viper 2-7X32 from Scott at Libery Optics this morning. We'll see how it goes once I get it in and mounted up... </div></div>

Although you already have the Vortex, for potential future reference... I have a Burris Signature Safari 1.5-5x mounted on a very light 375H&H and it has taken a beating (prob 300 full-house loads) without fail. Great scope for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although you already have the Vortex, for potential future reference... I have a Burris Signature Safari 1.5-5x mounted on a very light 375H&H and it has taken a beating (prob 300 full-house loads) without fail. Great scope for the money. </div></div>

Ouch! How's that treat your shoulder?

I've recieved my Scope from Scott and it looks great, but I'm still waiting on the mounts so I can give it a good run for it's money (well, my money I guess)
smile.gif

Please let us know how the Vortex stands up to your 338wm, very curious.

Thanks,

-Pat

go with the sightron! IMO better glass than leupold @ half the price and its the first scope that my hunting rifle wouldnt destroy! 7mm rem mag ruger m77 mkII with that stupid plastic stock is not friendly on optics or the shoulder.