• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum large rifle primers

lutzy

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
south florida
I bought a box of magnum large rifle primers and thought they were for good for .308 and was told no. What caliber are these for? bass pro wont take them back :(

Attachments

• 9042598B-A88A-43A5-86AF-99735969853E.jpeg
    9042598B-A88A-43A5-86AF-99735969853E.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 46
You can use them in a 308 just fine. If your current load with a standard lr primer is at the max then drop it down and redevelop to be safe. But to say they cant be used is wrong.
spife is 110% correct.

These primers are totally fine for 308. Whoever told you that they were not are completely wrong.

Given you should not use your exact same load DATA as before, at least not without working up to it. You will need to work up a safe load using your existing components. In the end you might find that these work better than what you used previously.

I’ve seen SD improve by using mag primers. Just drop down a grain and work back up, I’ve never had a problem with pressure by switching but it’s just good practice.
If things get worse, try a little more neck tension, if you can adjust neck tension.
There’s a rumor that primer ignition can start the bullet out of the neck before the powder ignites. I could see that with light tension.