• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum LRP in "standard" cartridges - reasonable component conservation?

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I never intended to hand load to quite the extent I am now...and, my dwindling component stocks bear that out. I lucked into another box of CCI 250...which means I have about twice as many of those remaining as I do CCI 200 and Fed 210 (combined). I'm making a bold assumption that some of you are also less fortunate shooters running low on "regular" LRP. I was thinking about loading the 250s in either 6.5 CM or .30-06. I know magnum primers are popular in some applications (e.g. CCI 450s for 6 Dasher), but haven't run across much for either of those two. Ultimately, I'm trying to spend less time and fewer components at the loading bench as I go through yet another load work up.

Between the two, I'd lean towards the -06...might help with some of those compressed 4831sc/4955 loads. However, in terms of volume, it would help me out more in the 6.5 CM.

I never intended to hand load to quite the extent I am now...and, my dwindling component stocks bear that out. I lucked into another box of CCI 250...which means I have about twice as many of those remaining as I do CCI 200 and Fed 210 (combined). I'm making a bold assumption that some of you are also less fortunate shooters running low on "regular" LRP. I was thinking about loading the 250s in either 6.5 CM or .30-06. I know magnum primers are popular in some applications (e.g. CCI 450s for 6 Dasher), but haven't run across much for either of those two. Ultimately, I'm trying to spend less time and fewer components at the loading bench as I go through yet another load work up.

Between the two, I'd lean towards the -06...might help with some of those compressed 4831sc/4955 loads. However, in terms of volume, it would help me out more in the 6.5 CM.
Even though the 30-06 is not a Magnum , if you went with a 180 Gr and a slow burning powder like one of the 4831’s . The CCI 250’s might serve you well.

Last edited:
I use cci 250 on a 270 win. Using slow powders and heavy projectiles with it.

The CCI mil primers, #34 and #41 are considered magnum primers and since I have a lot more of them than "normal" primers I have used them in every rifle caliber I load. No issues. Just back off your normal powder charge and work back up.

The CCI mil primers, #34 and #41 are considered magnum primers and since I have a lot more of them than "normal" primers I have used them in every rifle caliber I load. No issues. Just back off your normal powder charge and work back up.
Ditto here on the #34. I use it interchangeably with the Fed 210 on 308 middle of the range 4064 loads.

As other have said - I'm using CCI #250 LRP magnum primers in my 6.5Cm with very good results.

Reactions: DJL2
I have always used CCI-250s in in everything from 22-250 to 300wm. I have never had a problem getting good SDs with Varget, H4350, 8208, 7977, RL15, or 4831SC.

Reactions: DJL2
Fed Mags in Starline Brass 6.5 CM gave me +60 fps compared to S & B LRP.

Can't remember the powder without looking in my data logs.
Great results.