• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum Primer in 308 Cause Issue?

Amric

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Flint, Mi.
I used to shoot 300WM and still have thousands of magnum primers. I now only shoot 308. So far with the 308, I have only shot factory, but almost have everything needed to start handloading. Could I use the magnum primers, or do I need to get rid of them?

I do not want to sacrafice reliability or accuracy just to save money, but don't want to waste them if they will work just as well.

Re: Magnum Primer in 308 Cause Issue?

As long as you start working up a load with those primers and stay with them you're good to go. They will have a hotter flash so when you run out you'll probably have to bump the powder just a little to get the same velocity.

As Vic says...in my rifles, about 1.5 grains reduction will give the same velocity and pressure signs. Your results may differ. Just remember to reduce about 10% and work up. You can stick a bolt. JMHO

I load only mg primers in all my rifles. Back off a little and work your way back up..if you want to sell em though, holler at me.