• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum vs. Standard Primers part 2 - QuickLOAD

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I was taking a look at my .30-06 load development (M70, 24" Bartlein) after finally getting to the range with Lab Radar this past weekend. I had 58.8 grains of H4831sc compressed under a 195 grain TMK in a Lapua case with (IIRC) a CCI 200 (could have been a Federal 210... don't have the notes right in front of me). QL is pretty close - it predicts 2680 fps (@ 64.5 ksi, which I'm good with). I saw an average of 2675 or so over 20 shots. However, what I don't see, is a primer input. I was hoping someone here could get me pointed in the right direction as far as doing the predictive math with a CCI 250. I wouldn't sweat it too much, but I'm just about out of H4831sc and I'm likely making the jump to either IMR 4451 or 4495.

My last lot of 4495 was hot - initially, I was bummed out because I saw pressure signs (and felt them) way below book max. Then I went back and looked at the MSv3 data and saw that I was launching a 208 grain ELD-M @ 2670 fps and "Oh... yeah... no wonder I was seeing pressure." I think the 4495 will be marginally better than the 4451, but we'll see. The 4451 is really intended for my 6.5 CM to replace my H4350...though it seems like it comes up a little short, theoretically.

That’s a fascinating read. It makes me want to mock up a rifle with gauges and get after it.

In an ironic turn, I suspect my rifle might prefer the light weights. I’ve got “acceptable” performance from the 195 and 208s, but I suspect the rifle is capable of much better. The factory loaded 150 SST Superformance prints as tightly at 200 yds as anything I’ve hand loaded. I suppose it might be that my technique is bad enough to mask differences in the ammo…

I loaded up 10 rounds of my standard recipe with a CCI 250 and hit the range today. No significant difference (actually averaged a few fps less today... but, that might have been weather and it was only a 10 shot sample).

I had some Freedom Munitions out... saw an ES of 100 fps in the first three shots and decided I didn't need to spend any more time on that (between 2600 and 2700 fps with 168 A-max).

Lastly, just to stay consistent, I out shot my hand loads with factory 150 SST Superformance again... so, that's nice.