• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnums and shooting bags. Who’s using them?

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Hey guys n gals,
I know the game changer from AG is incredibly popular for PRS, etc. I am trying to assess whether it would be effective in higher recoiling rifles (300 PRC / Win Mag / 30 Nosler) in hunting situations. Currently for non prone I use trekking poles with the straps over each handle and it creates a cradle I can shoot sitting with. I can hold about 1.5 MOA with this to around 500 yards. My question is how does a higher recoiling rifle around 11-12 lbs track using a game changer. Currently I can’t spot my shots sitting, but the recoil management from sitting tracks back onto the target after the recoil quick enough.

I guess what I’m asking / looking for is feedback from people who use the game changer or similar bags as a front rest with long action higher recoiling calibers. Does the rifle stay on the bag firing? Is it more just to steady your shot, or can you get back on target quickly with these calibers.

Please list your setup weight / caliber in your responses as well its much appreciated.

Thanks!

One way or another you are carrying an additional 5# and spending another $100+...... That is a personal preference choice only you can make.
8.8#, 300WM

I have used my game changers a few times shooting my 10# tikka 300 wm out to about 500. Usually I'm not watching the round hit the target, but I’m back on target pretty quick. I shot a deer this year at 400 with the full size GC on top of a tripod for front support and a backpack for rear support and watched the deer drop. I also shot an elk at 300 of the top of my tripod with no bag and saw the elk react to the impact and run. Didn’t see actual bullet impact like I could have with my 20lb 6.5 creed comp rifle. As mentioned earlier, recoil control is more of a function of fundamentals and a GC isn’t going to really help or hinder recoil. They are certainly nice to aid stability though. I would say they stay on the bag fine too. Not jumping off

I have used my game changers a few times shooting my 10# tikka 300 wm out to about 500. Usually I'm not watching the round hit the target, but I’m back on target pretty quick. I shot a deer this year at 400 with the full size GC on top of a tripod for front support and a backpack for rear support and watched the deer drop. I also shot an elk at 300 of the top of my tripod with no bag and saw the elk react to the impact and run. Didn’t see actual bullet impact like I could have with my 20lb 6.5 creed comp rifle. As mentioned earlier, recoil control is more of a function of fundamentals and a GC isn’t going to really help or hinder recoil. They are certainly nice to aid stability though. I would say they stay on the bag fine too. Not jumping off
If you have a tripod any reason you prefer GC vs clamp on style rail to tripod head?

If you have a tripod any reason you prefer GC vs clamp on style rail to tripod head?

I don’t have a super nice ball head and I have a lightweight tripod that isn’t super stable. Using a GC draped over the head is a little more stable and allows the recoil to go straight back vs up when attached to the head (my head will rotate and tip the barrel up). Also, having an arca section right in front of the magwell isn’t very comfortable when shooting offhand.

Reactions: Awesymoto
14# 300WM , from seated off of the tripod w/bag on top I can spot my shots. From kneeling or standing, I can't. Off of my trekking poles, probably not from any position. But thats me. YMMV

Reactions: Awesymoto