• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnus SR Hearing same?

EddieE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Anyone have shot a Magnus SR on a 223? Can you go without hearing protection? On TBAC site they have 126 db on 6.5 CM. Just curious if anyone has shot it on a 223 and how loud it is.

Considering a purchase, but having a hard time parting with $2k...when there are others with very similar sound ratings for almost half price.

Last edited:
We’ve never metered another .30 cal can as quiet as the Magnus.

Magnus on 223

I understand that. Not sure my ears can pick up the difference...or if that difference is significant enough to warrant the upcharge. Is the difference resulting in being able to go without ear protection with your can, while the competitor cans I would need to use protection with? That is the root of the question here.

I have shot both my Magnus SR and 338 SR on my 223 Ackley bolt guns.

Absolute magic.

Do you have experience with other suppressors?

Yes. Possibly too many. Lots of experience spread over many different brands.

I am also the NFA manager at an indoor range that sells lots of cans. I might not own it, but I sometimes get to hear it.

Anyone have shot a Magnus SR on a 223? Can you go without hearing protection? On TBAC site they have 126 db on 6.5 CM. Just curious if anyone has shot it on a 223 and how loud it is.

Considering a purchase, but having a hard time parting with $2k...when there are others with very similar sound ratings for almost half price.

Host? Barrel length?

Hearing damage is dose dependent and accumulative.

How many rounds do you want to shoot without ears?

Are you shooting it in the free field off a tripod (4ish feet off the ground or are you prone under a metal shade cover and around other reflective surfaces?

You can take a very quiet set up and increase your hearing damage risk significantly based on your environment. Overhead shade cover, walls, etc.

It's irresponsible for anyone to say something is "hearing safe". Basically the answer is it depends.

24" bolt gun with the Magnus off a tripod without reflective surfaces. You could probably run a couple-few boxes and be "safe" before too much exposure has been experienced.