• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpro powder?

XP1K

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2017
Texas
Never used accurate powders before, has anyone here used magpro in a 300 winmag with 208-215gr bullets ?
I'm currently using imr4831 but I'm down to 2lbs and haven't had any luck finding any in a while. Imr4831 and magpro are right next to each other in hornadys burn rate chart,134 and 135.
Although magpro is a spherical powder. I found 8lb jugs of magpro in stock at the moment.

Reactions: 338dude
I use it and love it ... have for quite a while. Works great in my 300-WM and 300-PRC competition rifles. In my 300-WM I use the Berger 200.20x Hybrids with 78.4 grains of MagPro, and get single-digit SD's and accuracy sufficient to regularly hit a 1-mile target. It's a terrific magnum powder. MagPro is one of the best kept secrets of the whole reloading supply shortage.

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude and XP1K
I use it and love it ... have for quite a while. Works great in my 300-WM and 300-PRC competition rifles. In my 300-WM I use the Berger 200.20x Hybrids with 78.4 grains of MagPro, and get single-digit SD's and accuracy sufficient to regularly hit a 1-mile target. It's a terrific magnum powder. MagPro is one of the best kept secrets of the whole reloading supply shortage.
Good to hear thanks for the input.

That's why I didn't say where I found it. I knew the vultures here would descend on it.

• Haha
Never used accurate powders before, has anyone here used magpro in a 300 winmag with 208-215gr bullets ?
I'm currently using imr4831 but I'm down to 2lbs and haven't had any luck finding any in a while. Imr4831 and magpro are right next to each other in hornadys burn rate chart,134 and 135.
Although magpro is a spherical powder. I found 8lb jugs of magpro in stock at the moment.
Just a head up as you'll find your results with MagPro different from the IMR-4831, though MagPro's burn rate is close to IMR-4831, MagPro burns significantly hotter (see charts below), which also effects your internal ballistics. You'll be using much more MagPro to get your MV than you did with IMR-4831.

I've been using MagPro lately for my 6.5 PRC since I haven't been able to get the Retumbo I like. It does OK for me.

Burn Temp.jpg
Burn Rate.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and XP1K
Just a head up as you'll find your results with MagPro different from the IMR-4831, though MagPro's burn rate is close to IMR-4831, MagPro burns significantly hotter (see charts below), which also effects your internal ballistics. You'll be using much more MagPro to get your MV than you did with IMR-4831.

I've been using MagPro lately for my 6.5 PRC since I haven't been able to get the Retumbo I like. It does OK for me.

View attachment 7810364 View attachment 7810365
Interesting, thanks.

Man I know this is from a while back but I'm just getting around trying this powder and I'm curious as to what you're seeing for velocity at a 78.4gr charge. Book minimum says 74.0 but I have a feeling that's going to be slow. Thinking about starting at 78.0gr. Book max is 82.2gr.

I'm shooting a 26" lilja 1:9 at 43' above sea level. With a 208 amax 2900fps was comfortable. I'll be loading 215gr berger hybrids this time.

300-WM with 78.4 of MagPro averages 2948 ft/sec (Berger 200.20x). Rifle is a Masterpiece Arms Comp Chassis with a 24" barrel ... shooting suppressed with a SC Chimera-300. Super accurate - Very consistent.

Just shot my winmag this morning. 212eldx with 75gr of magpro. 85 degrees and 100% humidity here on the Texas gulf coast this morning. Three shots to verify zero and one on a milk jug at 200 just to watch it explode. After for shots the barrel was warm but still comfortable to the touch.

In contrast, I've been messing with 215's and N570. Two shots and it's hot. Four shots and it was uncomfortable to the touch.

I was in south Texas last weekend shooting out to a thousand with the 212eldx and magpro load. 10 shot string and the gun was hot but it wasn't horrible. I like the magpro. I did have to back off 1gr for this Texas heat though. In cooler weather I shot 76gr under the 212.

I'm going to try to find 8lbs of h1k here in the near future just for the temp stability.

for all the 300 wm I load for imr-4350 works great with 168 & 210 bergers. as we have seen in my neck of the woods if gun wont shoot bergers it is out the door and no looking back!

I tried Magpro on my brother's 7mm RM because I had a new 8lb keg, which I bought at normal prices during the height of the COVID shortage.

ES and SD weren't good at all until I got right up on book max, then they tightened up to ES in the high teens and single-digit SD.

Accuracy was acceptable.

I have not tried it in temp extremes, but I'm assuming that it would be more sensitive than a lot of other powders.