• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Magpul 223/5.56 aics mags

steve101610

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
Magpuls new 223/5.56 aics pattern mags are finally available so I ordered 2 and they showed up the other day. These are by far the best aics pattern 223 mags I have tried. They feed like butter. The only down dude is the OAL. You are limited to 2.39”. Im going to try and file the front of the mag down to see if I can get a longer OAL.

How did this turn out for ya? Need to order a couple Of something soon. Thanks!

You are limited to 2.39”. Im going to try and file the front of the mag down to see if I can get a longer OAL.

Hard pass. Magpul dropped the ball doing that. Should have made them to the 2.550" ares like MDT mags so you can load the heavier bullets longer.

How did this turn out for ya? Need to order a couple Of something soon. Thanks!
Haven’t messed with them yet. The rifle I’m using them with has a short throat so I dont need the extra length

Hard pass. Magpul dropped the ball doing that. Should have made them to the 2.550" ares like MDT mags so you can load the heavier bullets longer.
I agree 100%. I’m guessing they did this to work with rifles like savage that have a shorter bolt throw in 223. There is plenty of real estate on the back of the mag to allow for longer loads.

Change the bolt baffle on the salvage. It costs 4.00 at Midway.

It would be interesting to know the marketing/technical decision that led to a magazine restriction like that. The Sierra 80 grain bullet has been here for a while. We've been shooting long loaded 223's since before Magpul was started.