• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul AICS Magazines?

praharin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2005
Clarion, PA
Anyone out there got a contact that could make this happen?

T'would be sweet-ass-titties to be able to get $30 polymer 10 round AICS PMags!

Re: Magpul AICS Magazines?

Bought some of the $33 a pop AICS 223 mags and they are running nicely. I saw a poly mag test once. They ran over one with a 3/4 ton Dodge. Then they loaded it up and cycled rounds thru the action.
Don't see why a poly mag for AICS would not work.

I prefer steel as it will be thinner resulting in more room for COAL.

I had heard rumor at one time they were going to do this and TRG mags. I have no idea if it had any truth to it though.

Would be pretty sweet!

They have them, I have used the prototypes, but that was at least a couple of years ago.

If you watch one of my older POF videos you can see the Magpul AICS magazine.

I guess the question, then, is "When?"

laugh.gif

I don't see this ever happening. There are probably three orders of magnitude fewer AIs and AICS builds around than ARs. Why would anyone with any business sense choose to invest in developing an inexpensive product for such a niche market?

Lowlight said he had prototypes several years ago. Granted lead times are significant in the firearms industry but if Magpul was going to release the product it would have been done by now.

I wouldn't hold my breathe.

When?

When the demand for AICS mags is great enough to displace machine time away from 223/308 mags......

I asked last year and it was still pretty low on their list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When?

When the demand for AICS mags is great enough to displace machine time away from 223/308 mags......

I asked last year and it was still pretty low on their list.</div></div>

Exactly my thoughts.

How many ARs are there out there vs precision rifles? AR guys worry about high cap mag bans and such and every AR owner seems to have at least 10-20 mags (I said at least). The precision rifle owner might have 5.

I would guess they aren't coming for some time unless there's something that changes their market like a ban of some sort. Even then there's always mil and leo stuff to make.

I would have to ask why... There is really no need for Magpul AICS magazines.

I thought magpul developed a the 5.56 / .308 mags in order to have a more reliable/better magazine available.

As it stands now... with AICS and Alpha mags being as reliable as they are what purpose would a Magpul AICS mag fill?

I do like most of the items magpul makes available but I do not see any need the AICS would fill...

It would fill the need or desire for reasonable cost. Instead of paying the ridiculous price of $100 for AICS mags, or $200 for Sako mags a cheaper but still reliable/durable option would exist. When magpul .223 mags came out they were cheaper than most reliable AR mags, and when magpul really pushed for the .308 mags during the ban happy days, guys were selling DPMS .308 mags for $75-100 and for nearly a year they were impossible to get.

That said I doubt we'll ever see them from magpul. No doubt they can't even keep up with their current .223 and .308 mag orders so putting out new products for a comparatively tiny tiny market isn't going to happen at least from Magpul unless people quit buying magazines and every other AR accessory they sell and with the media using every opportunity they can to incite the gun ban fear and gun owners predictable knee jerk reaction to buying everything black or more than 10 rounds that's unlikely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason_B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to ask why... There is really no need for Magpul AICS magazines.

I thought magpul developed a the 5.56 / .308 mags in order to have a more reliable/better magazine available.

As it stands now... with AICS and Alpha mags being as reliable as they are what purpose would a Magpul AICS mag fill?

I do like most of the items magpul makes available but I do see any need the AICS would fill... </div></div>

^^ THIS!! ^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would fill the need or desire for reasonable cost. Instead of paying the ridiculous price of $100 for AICS mags, or $200 for Sako mags a cheaper but still reliable/durable option would exist. </div></div>

Todd, I don't know where you are buying your AICS (or compatible) mags, but you are getting screwed to the MAX if you are paying anywhere NEAR that much for individual AICS mags!

Some interesting posts here. I did the original mag that Frank was using in the vid. Oddly enough, the internal OAL is not a problem because the metal mag has the spacer plate in the front, as far as I remember.

I think we have seen that the AICS mag is the standard now, and I suspect that nearly all future mag fed rifles and/or aftermarket stocks will use it.

Sometimes products get put on the back burner or shelved for whatever reason, sometimes they are brought back.
Justin

I checked a couple places and $85-90 is what a 5rd 300 wm aics mag seems to run. 308's are cheaper. So $100 was a little high.

Either way I bet a $20 magpul AICS mag would sell, and guys would buy them. Not that the AICS mags aren't great mags, they obviously are, but a $20 option that was reliable from magpul would have a lot of appeal to users without unlimited funds (just no where near the market of AR mags). Ask yourself how many AICS mags you have now, and how many you would have if they were $20, if the number is the same then good for you, but I bet a lot of people would buy more if they were $20.

I know right now I will be in the market for several very soon. As I have 3 rifles all being built or converted to AI compatable systems. That means for 6 mags (2 each) that has me paying about $500 for six pieces of stamped, folded sheetmetal. I would gladly buy 6 Magpul mags for $250 and a have cash for a couple hundred rounds to spare.

Do AI themselves have any plans to make a .308 polymer mag? The .223 version seems to be popular and work well.

In the review thread by deadduck357 for the Ruger Scout rifle on ar15.com here http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=332416, he states "Ruger is working on a 5 and 10 round polymer mag that will be a much cheaper price." (this is on page 3)

The Scout takes AICS mags. This could mean either Ruger is going to invest in making these themselves (highly unlikely) or someone else (maybe Magpul) will be making them for Ruger.

You have to take into account the military applications for precision magazines and what that would bring to the table for the Magpul industry. They already have a NSN for the Pmags and can be ordered through the supply system. Sniper rifles now used AICS mags so I think it would be a win situation for MAGPUL. They make other small items that are not necessary for the gun to work but as an enhancement. They could tool up and have about $8 in materials in a magazine sell it by the boatload to AICS mag users for $40 each and make a good profit. Everybody would have to have at least 2 in 5 rd and 2 in 10 rd just to stay in the club.

+1 on 5 and maybe 10 round magazine from Magpul.

If prototypes existed, then at least the modeling and tooling exists or existed at one time. Hopefully they see the light of day again and eventually make it to market as a mature and fully tested product.

But I know how some projects get put on the back burner in development...

at 20$/ea-30$/ea there would definitely be a market! Guess I just contradicted myself. Was thinking the same price point as AI / Alpha

I'll take 10 MagPul AICS PMags for short action and 10 more for long action. You make and sell these for $20 a pop and they will sell like hotcakes!

All the Armalite shooters gripe about $35 Armalite 20 round mags...too expensive. Bottom line, they work and are built tough to last.

All the AICS shooters gripe about $85 AI mags. They work and are built tough to last.

All the TRG shooters gripe about $160 SAKO mags. They work and are built to last.

Even if MagPul built mags for the above rifles, your top level shooters would still use FACTORY mags! Don't look for it to happen any time soon.

I don't know I bet a lot of KAC shooters are running magpul .308 mags instead of paying $125 for KAC factory mags.

How many Saiga 12 owners are paying $100+ for factory 8rd Russian mags? There's a platform that screams for magpul.

Besides top level shooters are a tiny share of what's already a small market, and if they are at that level, they are either sponsored, or have more money than they can spend. For every top level shooter running a TRG paying $160 a mag there's 25 other TRG owners that would happily run $25 TRG magpul mags.

How many guys running DPMS's are paying DPMS $45 a mag instead of running magpul mags now for half the price. Anyone that remembers the MASSIVE backorders and insanity that surrounded the Magpul .308 mags when they first were announced and released knows that a lot of shooters will run magpul over factory mags. Look at how many guys run them in .223 AR's when other reliable metal mags are in the same price range.

I'll i have to say is-- Why? I cant see the purpose, thats a large investment for such a small market, but maybe im wrong. I think the AICS mags are great just the way they are.
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

I'll just say that with the advent of the Ruger Scout and more and more bottom metal that accepts AICS mags on Remmy's, etc.----a lower cost magazine would certainly be a good idea. Just my humble opinion. I really like the idea, and I like Magpul's stuff, and would probably be more forgiving of rough treatment...(i.e. dents in the mag body). If they made them I'd probably buy 20 or more...

Polymer or Metal, I could care less.

100% function first.
Good COL second.
Economy last.

I run AI mags because they work. When my Alpha mags show up I will judge them by the above criteria. If Magpul produces a magazine that can compete at a lower price, I will be happy to consider it.

+1 on LW's function criteria. I have 2 aics mags and am careful with them having to buy my own. I would buy a few more to have as backups/etc but cost does add up. If MAGPUL had a $18-28 option that worked as well,I would buy 10 right now! Jeff