• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul AICS mags... why?

mrobles3808

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2013
Nebraska
I have hundreds invested into 10 round AICS mags, some with extensions, some with BR kits, etc... All are AI brand and I have spent hours tuning each of them to feed as smoothly as possible. Once tuned, they feed well..... But. Not as well as Magpul AICS mags. I tried one and it was butter. Ran my 6.5 creedmoor kelbly Black Bear flawlessly and my Defiance 6bra flawlessly. Obviously no mag kits for the br, but they feed so well I’m wondering why a guy spends so much working the metal AICS mags.

Now, let me just say, knowing these mags are smooth and I have never had an issue on the range, or running dry fire practice with dummy rounds, I have yet to run the magpuls in competition. I’m hung up on the idea that they are too good to be true and once I get on the clock, the magpul will fail.

Does anyone run the magpul AICS in comps and trust them? I never see them in a match.

I run my Magpul in matches. Like you said there smooth as can be, don't care about sand and dirt. Only downside to them from the ALPHA mags I have is length. I'm shooting a 6x47l also.

Are the metal ones thinner allowing for longer coal / closer to the lands?

Reactions: vigildom7
Yes you can run a bit longer in many of the metal mags. But for me shooting a 6mm it's not an issue. You can go 2.80" on the Magpul iirc and 2.9" on the ALPHA.

My throats are pretty short so really don’t need the extra OAL in the mags. I get where you are coming from though.

I have dropped, squished and generally messed up many metal mags.
I have managed to crush 1 magpull beyond use, they are not gunsafe door proof. Lol
I have replaced the springs at times in old magpulls.

Reactions: DrainTheSwamp2017
I am very happy to here magpul aics mags are gtg.
Was holding out on changing some bottom metal on a couple of guns.
Forgot about it mostly on account of metal mags being a pain for me.

Just a dissenting opinion here, but as an RO, when there are mag issues at the local matches, 9 times out of 10 they're with Magpul AICS mags. Don't get me wrong, they're a great value (especially if just starting out in this sport), but IMHO and IME they just don't have the longevity of the steel AICS patterned mags (AI, AM, MDT etc.). They (the Mapul mags) tend to develop problems over time has the plastic wears out, or they begin to flex when being crammed full. This is not necessarily a ding against them, just pointing out that a cheaper mag is made of cheaper materials. Cheaper materials wear out faster. Whether you want to play that game (replacing them more often than steel mags) is solely up to the individual shooter. We all wear big pants, so need to make the decision that fits our needs, budgets and expectations of reliability.

JMTCW...

I originally bought mine because they were the cheapest option. 3 years and several matches later, I’m still running these mags. They do hang lower and have less OAL than most metal mags but they haven’t fail me yet.

Last edited:
I was embarrassed to admit using the magpuls. tried them because I had trouble tuning the metal mags properly. now I use them exclusively in prs type matches. haven't failed yet.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Yes, smooth as butter, and I often wonder if I even picked up a round when cycling the bolt because they are so smooth.

Down side, you put any pressure on them like against a barricade, or shooting off of hay bales when you're bipod sinks down, and pressure is pushing up against the mag, you will have problems, mostly cannot cycle or close the bolt.

I’ve always been a fan of Magpul products low prices and decent quality (not great quality by no means) but the old saying goes you get what you pay for. I quit running Metal magazines years ago and have ran magpul every since. I’d rather spend the money on a quality bottom metal as I love the APA and Curtis style Bottom metals and the magpul mags run awesome in them as for a little extra OAL nothing a file won’t fix!

Reactions: Simonsza1
All I use is Magpuls. Sample size of 12 over a few thousand rounds and handful of matches. That is with the 10 round 308. I had 2 five round versions and neither of them worked. But the 10 rounders are GTG, and so is the 5 round long action magnum version. Yes, they can bind up if you put a lot of pressure against the mag. A tip to help that is file an angle on the back of the feed lips. This helps the bolt slide over the feedlips.
IMG_9735.JPG
IMG_9736.JPG

I have a couple that I use for training occasionally with BR variants. They feed the little cases probably about 75-85% of the time in my experience. Sometimes they will nose dive/bind or skip over rounds, but I use this to practice malfunctions on the clock. They run .260, Creed, and similar perfectly fine if you can deal with the shorter OAL.

Oddly enough, I’ve also found the MDT poly mags to be superior to a lot of alternatives, especially for feeding BR-based cases. I prefer them to ARC, MDT metal, and the Magpuls. They just run for me no matter what. Once again, if can deal with the short OAL, and are looking for cheap AICS alternatives, I recommend these a lot of times.

All that being said, when it comes down to it, and I need to have 100% trust in my kit... AICS are the gold standard for a reason. Yes they’re more expensive and in some cases do take a little fine tuning, but once you get them set the way your action likes them, you don’t even think about it anymore. One of those set it and forget it type deals. No worries in any type of environment and regardless of forces put on the mag. They just work.

Yes you can run a bit longer in many of the metal mags. But for me shooting a 6mm it's not an issue. You can go 2.80" on the Magpul iirc and 2.9" on the ALPHA.
I think Magpul advertises 2.86", and I want to say that when I played around with mine I got something very similar. I've found that length to be, luckily, plenty for all of my loads.

Reactions: Ripdog28
Maybe im doing something wrong because ive never had to tune any of my metal AICS mags, AW either? They've just run fine from the get go. im only using them on 308s though.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidb187
I have a Rem 700 6 Creedmoor-I only bought a couple of 10 rounders to test them out and they seem to be working good - except occasionally one of them gets fidgety on the last round when trying to feed the machine. I believe I had to push up on the mag in order to pick it up

I have 2 10 round magpul aics mags. I had a weird malf at a match using these mags. Chambering one round caused the one below it to edge forward then nosedive into the mag. This upset the round being chambered and screwed up the works. I shoot an RPR and switched to pmags and haven't had an issue since. I think the aics follower design (yes I have a couple of the AI brand steel mags too) is a bad joke compared to the pmag follower. I load to mag length and haven't had any accuracy issues caused by jump, and I get the speed I need so loading long isn't a concern. I was unimpressed with the AI brand mags. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but they don't do anything the pmags don't, at 3-5x the cost. Running the AI mags left me with a solid "meh."

Wow, didn't expect controversy over the AICS Pmag. I use the 10 rounders in a Remington PCR 6.5 mm CM, in a converted Remington 700 Varminter in 308, and in a Savage Tactical in 6.5 mm CM. My notes show about 400 rounds through each of the mags interchangeable between the 6.5 and the 308. Never FTF or malfunction of any kind and the only service is an occasional wipe down of the exterior of the mag with very lightly silicone sprayed microfiber cloth followed by a dry MF cloth.

My experience with AICS steel mags has been abysmal regardless of manufacture. I have given them away or thrown them away. Not worth my time to fight with them. FTF and double feeds. Funny thing is that I expected the steel mags to work flawlessly, just like the Checkmate Steel mags do in my M1A. And because of the perfect function of those CM steel mags in the M1A, I loaded up on AICS steel mags in the beginning. Maybe if Checkmate made those they'd work alright.

Another one here who won't buy any more steel AICS magazines. Now that Alpha Industries is out of business (or so it seems), Magpul is all I buy.

Another one here who won't buy any more steel AICS magazines. Now that Alpha Industries is out of business (or so it seems), Magpul is all I buy.

Good. That dude still owes me 2 mags from 2013-14. I paid for two and he never sent them. Kept claiming he was busy with his regular job and would get them out. Never did.

The Magpul mags work crappy with my Nuke and the short OAL limits the long throat 260 chamber savage so I don’t use them anymore.

Some of those that have issues feeding. Just like the metal mags that need adjusting, sometimes the Magpul mags need some help too!

The Magpul LA AICS mags I used needed about 5 minutes with fine sandpaper off the top to really feel great. I much prefer them over the metal mags I have. Long action in a MPA Chassis (6.5-06AI Rounds).

Last edited:
The two Magpul AICS mags I have don’t seat without a ton of force and don’t feed. Metal AI mags no problem. Maybe I will spend some time with a file and see if I can’t get them where they need to be

Sorry, noob question coming. In which Tikka will they not work? I’m getting ready to put together a 280AI with the MDT HNT26 chassis. It’s going to be on a T3X 270 I just picked up. I’m assuming you’re referring to the CTR?
The magpul mags don't work with tikkas so I won't ever use their aics mags.

Sorry, noob question coming. In which Tikka will they not work? I’m getting ready to put together a 280AI with the MDT HNT26 chassis. It’s going to be on a T3X 270 I just picked up. I’m assuming you’re referring to the CTR?
Any of them. The action is the same for all of the t3x's. It is an issue in the way the bottom of the action itself is cut. Accurate aics mags work along with MDT mags. Why not go with one of those?

My magpul aics work just as flawless as my arc mags. No problems with either.

Yeah, Tikkas (and some custom 700 actions) have a very narrow magazine inlet. Anything 700-pattern that is compatible with a BDL feed system or at least a bevel on the feed port should have zero issues with PMAGs. Most of those others take most metal mags just fine.

There are certainly some better and worse mags in the AICS-pattern market. The real problem is the inconsistency of the entire system, custom builds in particular. It is impossible for any magazine manufacturer to comp for every AICS mag well or bottom metal, stock, action, bolt diameter, and the individual that put it all together by hand...that is a huge span of possible dimensions and tolerances. There is always some trial and error. Front to back mag well dimensions and catch height are huge factors that can render an otherwise fine mag useless, particularly with the lack of front strap support and the mag catch actively trying to nosedive the mag. There is a reason AI put a stamped lug on the front of the AX mags.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
If AI had open sourced the dimensions of the magazine well, magazine catch, magazine, and relationship between action inlet surfaces on the chassis and the magazine catch we would not have all these problems

But they didn't. So we do.

PS when I say dimensions I mean dimensions and tolerances in case that isn't immediately obvious to someone.

Reactions: Baron23
Any of them. The action is the same for all of the t3x's. It is an issue in the way the bottom of the action itself is cut. Accurate aics mags work along with MDT mags. Why not go with one of those?
I have two MDT mags on order with the chassis. However, I was just looking for options that were not metal. Just seems kinda odd to have a block of metal coming out of a carbon/magnesium chassis and the Magpul seemed to rattle less and wouldn't make as much noise per some of the reviews and videos I saw. However, if you are saying they don't work on any Tikka's regardless of the bottom metal used, then I will avoid the purchase. I appreciate the guidance!

I have two MDT mags on order with the chassis. However, I was just looking for options that were not metal. Just seems kinda odd to have a block of metal coming out of a carbon/magnesium chassis and the Magpul seemed to rattle less and wouldn't make as much noise per some of the reviews and videos I saw. However, if you are saying they don't work on any Tikka's regardless of the bottom metal used, then I will avoid the purchase. I appreciate the guidance!
MDT does make polymer aics mags as well that work. It's just the Magpul ones that don't work AFAIK in the Tikkas.

MDT does make polymer aics mags as well that work. It's just the Magpul ones that don't work AFAIK in the Tikkas.
MDT polymer mags only hold 8 rounds in 308 trim. And their 223 magazines don't always feed their last round flawlessly.

Their steel magazines feed as rough as a cob.

First hand experience with their products.

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
MDT polymer mags only hold 8 rounds in 308 trim. And their 223 magazines don't always feed their last round flawlessly.

Their steel magazines feed as rough as a cob.

First hand experience with their products.
That's good to know. Haven't used one myself.

Was just trying to say that they exist and fit in the gun. All I have aics wise is krg branded accurate nags that I haven't used yet because of being left handed and having to modify the new chassis and all that.

I use even cheaper Ruger AICS pattern magazines. The 10 round mags by Ruger are shorter than those of Magpul, and I’ve yet to have a hiccup in the last seven matches I’ve used them.
Thanks for mentioning that; I've been wondering how Ruger AICS mags would work in another rifle. I bought a few extra for my GSR, and may try to run them in my Howa when I get around to fitting the bottom metal.

That's good to know. Haven't used one myself.

Was just trying to say that they exist and fit in the gun.
You were saying that MDT polymer mags fit Tikkas in chassis. But you haven't used one.

Seen someone else use one that way? Just curious here.

Thanks for mentioning that; I've been wondering how Ruger AICS mags would work in another rifle. I bought a few extra for my GSR, and may try to run them in my Howa when I get around to fitting the bottom metal.
AICS is AICS

There's nothing unique about Ruger AICS mags other than the normal variation that exists in a non-open source system for which people guess at dimensions and tolerances.

Reactions: rhsc
AICS is AICS

There's nothing unique about Ruger AICS mags other than the normal variation that exists in a non-open source system for which people guess at dimensions and tolerances.
The thing is, Ruger is Ruger. Over the years, I've owned enough of their handguns and rifles to come to the conclusion that Ruger makes some of finest semi-finished firearms money can buy. They seem to be getting better at it lately, and it's nice to hear that their AICS magazines must be pretty good right out of the box, and actually made pretty close to spec, such as it is.

You were saying that MDT polymer mags fit Tikkas in chassis. But you haven't used one.

I use the MDT plastic mags in my X-Ray along with AICS and KRG branded Accurate mag(without binder plate), I assume they should work in the Bravo as the chassis is the same but don't quote me.

I had my CTR in a KRG X-Ray chassis. It did not work with Magpul mags but worked perfectly with the MDT polymer mags. No modifications were required to the action, the X-Ray, or the MDT magazines. The warnings on the page do only call out the Magpul polymer mags, not all polymer mags. I'd be surprised if the MDT didn't work in the Bravo, but I've been surprised before.

I'm also sure there are others in the Tikka thread that I've read all 192 pages of. I've been reading threads on Tikkas here since I joined here.

I've got my CTR 6.5 cm sitting in a MDT Gen2 Lss xl and I've got 1 mdt polymer that fits and feeds flawless. The metal mags are MDT also and no hiccups with them either.....
IMG_0875a.JPG
IMG_0874a.JPG

I also use the Magpull mags. New guy and only one match in but all good so far.

One nice bonus with them is you can get plus 2 or 3 base pads from MK Machine for 20$ or so. I have 2 plus 2 and one plus 3.

Years of USPSA teaches you to download your mags whenever possible!

10 rounds in a 12 round mag and 12 rounds in a 13 round mag.

I also use the Magpull mags. New guy and only one match in but all good so far.

One nice bonus with them is you can get plus 2 or 3 base pads from MK Machine for 20$ or so. I have 2 plus 2 and one plus 3.

Years of USPSA teaches you to download your mags whenever possible!

10 rounds in a 12 round mag and 12 rounds in a 13 round mag.
Wut why thats dumb as fuck