• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Bipods?

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
Are these any good? Magpul typically makes some decent stuff but with the bipod being polymer how much pressure can you use when loading the bipod? Seems like relatively budget option if the durability isn’t crap. What is your all’s experience?

I had one. It was fine for what it was, it would have been great on a dedicated AR or plinking gun. I personally would buy another Harris before the Magpul.

I didn't like it on my heavy RPR. I also didn't like that I needed tools to remove it.

Edit to add. I see they now have a QD sling stud bipod. That was not a thing when I had mine.

I have one that is mlok compatible. It came with a rifle I bought. I wouldn’t buy one for myself. They feel like an airsoft accessory. For similar price a harris is much better. For less a caldwell bipod is better.

I prefer them over the Harris. They don't feel really robust- but I didn't think they felt cheap either. It didn't work great when it had the pan feature, but you can turn it around and lock that out. They are about as good as you will get in the $100 price range but the bipods do get lots nicer as you go up from there.

I prefer them over the Harris. They don't feel really robust- but I didn't think they felt cheap either. It didn't work great when it had the pan feature, but you can turn it around and lock that out. They are about as good as you will get in the $100 price range but the bipods do get lots nicer as you go up from there.
I didnt know that the pan can be locked out. I need to figure that out if it allows the bipod to still tilt.

I didnt know that the pan can be locked out. I need to figure that out if it allows the bipod to still tilt.

If you lock the pan it will still allow the tilt function to work. Did that on my Magpul like it much better now. Still no where near my atlas lol

Right at home on my lr308. Definitely have to pre load this one. But it’s simple and fast to operate. It’s ok for the money and want to try something other than a Harris. Just my .02

I had one. It was fine for what it was, it would have been great on a dedicated AR or plinking gun. I personally would buy another Harris before the Magpul.

I didn't like it on my heavy RPR. I also didn't like that I needed tools to remove it.

Edit to add. I see they now have a QD sling stud bipod. That was not a thing when I had mine.
I have one of the QD sling swivel versions. I like the legs better than the Harris. I like the Harris attachment to the swivel stud better than the Magpul. The Magpul is harder to get on and off. The tension screw does not have a lot of room around it so once you get it good and tight it’s hard to get back off. If you leave your bipod on your rifle it would work fine but if you’re one that likes to take it on and off it’s a pain in the ass.

They are floppy and seem like junk. I have seen a few people really struggle with them because they are so flimsy. If you take the Magpul name off the side everyone would assume that it was some Chinesium air soft crap. Put those funds towards an Atlas

For the price It works as intended. Quick to deploy and feature rich. Preload gets rid of the little wobble. The bipod snobs will tell you otherwise as they deploy their bipod pinky up.

For the price they are good. For room to grow go with an Atlas.

It's a neat looking unit. Its lightweight and seems awesome on paper but I'm always frustrated when I use it. Tilt adjustment is too much or too little. Leg adjustments are awkward and weak. Then it seems floppy when you get behind it.

When i swapped from the magpul to a harris on my 338 rpr it was actually less stable. I think the magpul is a little wider. I was pretty impressed with how not junk it was. But yeah, i wanted the arca function and didnt like the tools needed to remove it.

When i swapped from the magpul to a harris on my 338 rpr it was actually less stable. I think the magpul is a little wider. I was pretty impressed with how not junk it was. But yeah, i wanted the arca function and didnt like the tools needed to remove it.
Yeah honestly I don't even like my Harris on my RPR. My Atlas Cal stomps both for stability on that gun.

Reactions: Texasflyer
Yeah honestly I don't even like my Harris on my RPR. My Atlas Cal stomps both for stability on that gun.
If im shooting off a bench then i dont like my harris, but in grass or dirt with the hawk hill feet... i do like it. I also like how quick the harris deploys and adjusts. Sometimes i tilt it and use one leg as a forward grip when im glassing.

One came on an AR I bought. I was happily surprised that it seems pretty decent, especially on a lighter platform like an AR. Haven't used it enough to give it a good review, but does not seem to be junk. I also would not be tempted to swap it out for my tbac or atlas units on my bigger, heavier rigs.

I bought one of the Magpul Sling QD bipods as a stopgap for an ATLAS BT46LW17 because it was pretty lightweight like the atlas (around 11oz) but significantly cheaper and I had just blown all my money on the rifle/scope.

Long story short... I shoot better off my backpack I use to carry around my ammo cans than I do the Magpul. Its just so flimsy and flexible I could never really get comfortable behind it.

I keep one on my .17 HMR. Works fine for shooting at groundhogs under 150 yards. Wouldn't trust on anything centerfire but the Ruger Precision Rimfire is fine. I will flip the legs around backwards so it its in the safe better.

What made it garbage, IYHO, based on sight alone?
My usual are Harris and Atlas. The Magpul has lots more flex in the body than the other 2 (under a heavy rifle.) The deployment buttons on the legs felt destined to fail, legs had more play than I like.

Mine are being used in field conditions and from a bench, sometimes shots are important - and I would not trust them for important shots.

As said before, I didn't test them to failure, but did shoot off them from bench and from prone, and decided they weren't for me.

I own one and keep it under my RPR. My two concerns being it is not the least bit solid. Feels like its going to break at any moment. However after almost two years and a lot of shooting over its legs, its still there. (Still flexes like a piece of cooked spaghetti) However it does not hinder making regular shots out to a half mile. My main worry leading me to withdraw a recommendation is the pan lock. It is really difficult to lock, never seems really stiff and the rifle will just fall over sideways. Panning is good, falling is well (expletive deleted).

Dollar for dollar the the Atlas I use on my other rifle is a better value even at almost three times the price. Save up and get an Atlas.

Last edited:
I own one and keep it under my RPR. My two concerns being it is not the least bit solid. Feels like its going to break at any moment. However after almost two years and a lot of shooting over its legs, its still there. (Still flexes like a piece of cooked spaghetti) However it does not hinder making regular shots out to a half mile. My main worry leading me to withdraw a recommendation is the pan lock. It is really difficult to lock, never seems really stiff and the rifle will just fall over sideways. Panning is good, falling is well (expletive deleted).

Dollar for dollar the the Atlas I use on my other rifle is a better value even at almost three times the price. Save up and get an Atlas.
Fyi, If you un screw it enough to spin it 180 it will lock out the pan.

I had one on a 300PRC for almost a year and have successfully taken it out to a mile.

Not jumping on the bandwagon for or against them yet, but has anyone seen a broken set yet ? heard alot about them being flimsy but not actually seen one break

Fyi, If you un screw it enough to spin it 180 it will lock out the pan.

I had one on a 300PRC for almost a year and have successfully taken it out to a mile.
The only way I believe mine could be spun 180 degrees would be with 4 foot pry bar or with an 18wheeler rated impact wrench.

Not jumping on the bandwagon for or against them yet, but has anyone seen a broken set yet ? heard alot about them being flimsy but not actually seen one break

I broke the pan feature while trying to get my suppressor off one day.

It didn't take too much force either but then again that feature isn't meant to take abuse I suppose. It still works it just doesn't lock up nearly as tight as it used to no matter how much you tighten it.

Honestly, F*ck the magpul bipod (for anything larger than an ar15)
It was the first bipod I ever bought and put on a Bergara HMR and yikes. So much slop, felt like a toy, and massive flex especially with the legs extended. Which is too bad because the potential is there. The company defending the insane flex saying it was intentional to force you to load the bipod is my favorite part.

Magpul has a lot of hits, but some misses. I bought one of their early slings and it turned out to be a pile of dog crap 💩. Now I have one of their AK folding stocks and it sticks while extending then releases, slides to the end and just just pops off ...... lol ! Moral of the story leave it extended or look like an idiot in a fire fight 🤠

Last edited:
1 bought one and fixed it by giving away, then opened my used rifle purchase at ffl and received another. U fixed it by giving away while in the store.

Bought one when it was first released. ARMS17s version of magpul bipod + ADM QQ adaptor for quick detach from picatinny rail. Perfect for my AR