• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Magpul PRS flush cup installation - Kit Coming !!

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Scratched my head for a while figuring this out. There is no good way to glue a cup into the hollow stock (at least that I would trust a $4000 rifle and scope swinging off of). So I came up with this, the location allows sling use on either side of the stock, and mimics the way I sling my AR carbines with a combat sling.

This is on my AR10 stock, I haven't got to pull my AR15 stock apart yet, but they should be identical in this area.

First, go to Lowes and buy a couple of 1/4" X 20 TPI x 1/2" long button head cap screws and a 2 pack of 1/4" x 20TPI coupling nuts. Sand or file off the zinc plating on the nut and weld the coupling nut to the flush cup as shown......
DSC04544.jpg

Disassemble your stock completely (you can leave the 2 pressed in nylon detent cylinders), mark the location for the 1/2" hole, bolt the 2 bare stock halves back together and drill it out, (note the reinforcing rib and miss it)...
DSC04539.jpg

DSC04540.jpg

Measure the depth of your stock recess, double it and file/grind the length of the coupling nut to fit (mine measured .740") make sure to remove the same amount on both sides.

DSC04546.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

Put the ass'y in place and mark your holes to drill in the side of the stock (make sure the cup is slightly higher than the surface or your swivel will not seat correctly), drill the 1/4" holes, assemble one bolt in one side to hold the ass'y in place, put your stock back together and put the other bolt in the other side.

Looks factory!!

DSC04552.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

DSC04548.jpg

Re: Magpul PRS flush cup installation (pic heavy)

Ingenious solution!

Looks like I have a fun project to do. Well as soon as I can get my hands on a PRS that isn't priced to the moon...

Very nicely done. Soooo, how much will you charge to do mine?

Sorry, I just do my own stuff, but any decent smith should be able to do this in an hour or less (or much less if they would make up a bunch of the cup assemblies at the same time).

HB

Very nice! simple, yet effective!

Whats the chance of getting these parts from you... You should start selling a KIT... I would be first inline to buy one.

I've had several requests for these in kit form and contacted William at LA Precision Rifles to make a few up, he will be posting soon when he has them ready to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marsh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking for a excuse to buy a welding rig. Where do you get the cup? </div></div>

I get them from Brownell's, but several places sell them.

What are the chances that you have an extra one made up that I can drive down and buy from you?

Great job, definitly solves a problem.

sorry, my intardwebs-fu is sucking today

Looks excellent, a much simpler solution that requires no stock mods, which many people are not interested in doing.

Good luck with your new product!

One of the best instruction pieces ever!

And I have yet to get a response from anyone on the forums about these nor from the actual builder of the second one. I even caught him online yesterday on arfcom and pm'd him immediately with no response still. Maybe Im SOL

Guys, I did the top mod and made the post, but I have no knowledge of, or affiliation with ARctangent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARctangent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I did the top mod and made the post, but
I have no knowledge of, or affiliation with ARctangent. </div></div>

These are a patent-pending design.

If you're interested in how these were developed (pages seven and eight are probably the most significant): </div></div>

so are you really coming into someone else's thread about their product/idea and pimping your product? maybe i am misunderstanding what is going on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARctangent</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, I did the top mod and made the post, but
I have no knowledge of, or affiliation with ARctangent. </div></div>

These are a patent-pending design.

If you're interested in how these were developed (pages seven and eight are probably the most significant): </div></div>

so are you really coming into someone else's thread about their product/idea and pimping your product? maybe i am misunderstanding what is going on here. </div></div>

Sounds a lot like the guy who's advertising SS media on the hide as a vendor now and building his business off of what Susaponte and Hummer were doing as a helpful service to 'Hide members while literally making nothing more than covering their expenses...

sounds like the same guy that got the same posts deleted in another thread

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DPKf7y1F-Q"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3DPKf7y1F-Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>