• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul PRS on RRA LAR-8

glocksig40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2009
Noth Dallas 40 Texas
Here are the after photos of the PRS installed on the Rock River LAR-8. As Im sure you have read from Rock River and Magpul's website the replacement of the Rock River stock with the PRS is not compatable because of charging handle clearance. The 2 ways around this issue have been discussed before, 1 way is to cut the end of the cheek piece off with a dremel tool and the other is to put an extension block in and then install the stock as normal. I didnt see many pics of this block install anywhere and wasnt sure how it would look or function. I also didnt want to cut the cheek piece on my stock. Figuring Id rather get use to the longer stock with the extension than look at the cheek piece after it was cut off, I opted for the extension. These couple of pics show what it looks like after the install so anyone wanting to do this will be able to see the end result and hopefully help make up your mind if you want to cut the cheek piece or buy the extension.
I bought the extension from Brownells. It was $49 with shipping.
stock3.jpg
stock2.jpg

Re: Magpul PRS on RRA LAR-8

Looks good man. That stick is coming together nicely. All you need now is to duracoat it all od or something cool.

Seems to be sturdy. I banged it around some and shook the hell out of it. I just put the upper back on it this afternoon. Damn thing is getting heavy. Glad I got the short barrel and not the 24".Gonna be heavier still with the NV and can on it. May need to hire a stripper to carry it for me...

No Paint right now Blklabs. Its going to stay black except for the grey/green i did on the upper. I will take it out to Seven Points when we get together with CKA.

That looks sweet. I am in the market for a 308 semi-auto. I have a suppressor: http://www.sas-llc.us/product1a.php. I am trying to find the right gun for it. I am looking at the
DPMS http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=59
or the Rock River: http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...1e15e1f522c211a

I keep looking at the piston wepons like the POF, etc. However they are about $1k more and heavier. People keep saying that piston is the way to go with suppressors since traditional 308's will blow alot of dirty gas back and the pistons are cleaner and have their suppressor settings.I have also heard that pistons can be more tempermental and not cycle well with certain suppressors.

Any thoughts?

p.s. the DMPS can take the Magpul PMags which i heard are nice, but the RRA can take the FAL mags which are one of the most abundant m308 mags out there. I havent heard much on feeding.

I assume you already had the PRS AR15 style stock? Magpul makes the PRS for either the AR15 or AR10. They also offer a conversion from AR15-AR10 which includes a shorter cheek piece and tube cover to fill the gap.

I just went that route with my LMT 308 seeing as I already had a PRS from a AR15 lying around and the cost direct from Magpul was $24.95. PRS AR10/SR25 Retrofit Kit

DSCF0568.jpg

DSCF0572.jpg

DSCF0574.jpg

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

No my stock is for AR-10 from Magpul. If you read on the Magpul site, under the PRS page, in the AR-10 page, in small print it will tell you that the AR-10 model is not useable with the RR LAR-8 because the RR charging handle length of pull is longer than the other manufacturers. Therefore even with said retrofit kit you still need a spacer or to trim the cheek piece. So, now it's done and I like it.

stacyp

WOW! Is it safe to assume that the RR also uses a longer buffer tube as well? Is the bolt longer than most AR10s?

Thanks for explaining the LAR-8

Buffer tube and all are the same. The charging handle only needs a little clearence over the cheek riser. Maybe 3/16".

Hey stacyp. Thanks for posting pics of the spacer that allows use of PRS stock on RRA LAR-8. I looked on Brownells for the spacer and can't seem to find it. Do you happen to have the link? Thanks

Time to resurrect this thread from the abyss. I have a LAR-8 I want to use the PRS. Is there a need to have the comb raised with a 1.5 riser/scope combo with this stock?

I guess what I am asking is if you do not need to raise the comb of the stock can you use the AR15 version on this rifle? Are most of you needing the comb raised with the common 1.5 scope hieght?

I have the 308 version of the PRS on 3 308's. I do not have to raise the cheek piece on either my DPMS SASS, LMT MWS or my AR10A4.

Thats what I was thinking. So if you do not raise the comb there is no need for any type of spacer?????

Anyone have any current pics of an LAR 8 with a regular PRS/no spacer on it?

I have the ar-10 prs on my lar-8, no mods needed. No problem racking in rounds.

Looks like this a pretty old thread, but this problem is new to me. I have a PRS Gen3 for AR-10 to put on my LAR-8. Fisrt problem was fit as the buffer tube on my LAR-8 was 8.25" long and of course the PRS left about a 1.5" gap beween the spacer and the buffer tube nut. So I bought a 7.25" buffer tube and installed the PRS right up against the buffer tube nut. Looks good, works poorly. The charging handle clears when I rack a round, but the first round stove piped and the rifle will not go back into battery. It appears that there is insufficient space in the shortened tube for the bolt to cycle fully. I have put the original 8.25" buffer tube back on and will try again this weekend to see if it cycles properly. But now the LOP is almost 15"! What am I missing about this problem?

@SCP50, I found this today on JP’s site. Not directly related, but tangentially...

“The JPSCS2-10 is not compatible with the HK MR762, the Sig Sauer 716, or the Rock River Arms LAR-8 because of its longer bolt stroke and subsequently longer extension tube.”

Basically, Rock River hates you and uses even less standard parts than normal. Unfortunately, the OP pics aren’t showing, but I assume the spacer is something like this... discontinued...

I run a Luth AR MBA 1 (Fixed stock) on my LAR 8. Swapped in about 2 minutes and works excellent

That looks good. I was just shooting mine yesterday and thinking about a stock change.