• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul PRS vs Battleline S.A.P.R review/comparison

Trochlea

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Den, CO
This is my first attmpt at a formal review. The following is the review/comparison of a Magpul PRS vs. a Battleline S.A.P.R. as installed on an aero m5 .308 dpms pattern lower. I can provide additional photographs and answer any additional questions. If you have any suggestions for improved reviews in the future, please let me know.

For picture of comparison - https://imgur.com/a/SUqi0#0

Weight – SAPR
CTR – 0.55 lb, SAPR 0.75 lb
PRS 1.68 lb
Weight savings of about half a pound

Price - PRS
Normal price (sale price)
SAPR - ~$200($99), CTR - $75 total price ~$275 (175)
PRS $250 ($175)
Magpul is slightly cheaper although with sales both came to be equal. Note the SAPR does come for SOPMODs and is also able to attach to all Magpul collapsible stocks, so prices will vary. Listed prices only as tested.

LOP - SAPR
Length of pull is quick and easy with the SAPR. It is more dramatic with respect to the availability of shorter length of pulls. The magpul does however offer finer control over the length of pull. I have not found the finer adjustments to be of great additional benefit, but I also haven’t needed to make on the fly length of pull adjustments. The speed and range of the adjustments of the collapsible stock was nice when transitioning between shooters however both make solid repeatable adjustments, relatively quickly without the need of additional tools.

Cheek height - PRS
The SAPR has two quick settings, cheek riser up and down. To further adjust on the fly requires a decent amount of torque with an allen wrench. Both offer more than enough height to attain a good natural point of aim with anything shy of a full telescope. Bump goes to the prs for quicker easier adjustment, although if I were running a gun with back up iron sights, the quick adjust with the folding cheek piece would win over. I have never needed that on the fly adjustment but can see its utility in a 3 gun setup or any setup that will make regular use of backup irons.

Fit to shoulder - SAPR
This category goes to the SAPR hands down because of the adjustability of the butt plate. It rotates generously in both directions in plane and allows for a more personalized fit of the gun without forcing the entire rifle to be canted. It also slides up and down with a maximum height roughly equal to the maximum height of the cheek piece. One some larger scopes or for some body types, this is extremely beneficial to raise the entire butt plate as their shoulder hits to the top or over the shoulder. This adjustability is not always needed, but incredibly helpful when it is.

Add ons - Tie (depending on your accessories)
QD sling mounts available on both depending on which the stock model used with the SAPR. Have multiple options for sling mounting, the CTR had native support for a QD sling while the PRS requires an additional accessory. Both can take the addition of a monopod although most collapsible magpul stocks require an additional accessory to mount a bipod. A potential benefit goes to the SAPR as limbsaver makes recoil pads for the collapsible. Unlikely that most will use that one but it is an option.
Malfunction clearing – PRS If you purchase the correct cheek piece, the PRS will never interfere with a charging handle. At its closest 2-3 positions, the SAPR cheek piece will interfere with the charging handle. It is easy to deal with by either dropping the stock back or pulling the cheekpiece out of the way. It is one additional thing to worry about in clearing the malfunction. Not a huge deal but the nod goes to the magpul.

Comfort - PRS
They are pretty neck and neck but this one goes to magpul specifically because I don’t like the glossy metal cheek piece on the SAPR. It will be getting a piece of moleskin before the next range trip.

Positions - PRS (prone), SAPR (all others)
In the prone, position the PRS is king. There was still a slight wobble with the CTR stock even with the tension piece pushed in. There was also more space for the rear bag as raising the cheek piece also raises the back half of the SAPR assembly and CTR doesn’t come with much space normally. On alternate positions where a shorter LOP would be nice, obviously the SAPR excels. This advantage is again theoretical and I come from a bolt gun background where I am not used to changing LOP. A theoretical advantage didn’t play out much for me (yet), but does add to the package.

Overall impressions

PRS – this is the standard. It is very similar in feel to a traditional bolt gun type set up. For prone and long range tactical shooting where weight is often sacrificed for stability, the PRS just works. In the 80’s the phrase was “No one ever got fired for buying IBM”. It may not be perfect but this is a sturdy proven stock that will do almost everything you wished that your bolt gun would.

SAPR – I was a little uncertain when this all came together. The little bit of wiggle from the CTR was minor but made me worry. Even with that, this platform is very sturdy when behind the rifle. The lockup is stable and given a 3 gun or a more run and gun situation, this stock is a great addition when a higher optic is mounted. While buying this outright the price looks very similar but if you already have the stock in place, this an extremely convenient add on. While I personally like the PRS better, most others who have sat behind the rifle have fallen in love with the SAPR. The availability to add this on any collapsible Magpul (other versions available for SOPMOD stocks) stock allows this to be more customized to exactly what you want. So while this may have a few rough edges (slight wobble from the stock it’s mounted on, shiny metal cheekpiece, tool required for cheek riser height), the stock is significantly more flexible and customizable. I have no qualms whatsoever giving this my highest recommendation, even so much that I have no qualms giving this set up to my dad, and recommending it to others I shoot with.

Issues not covered in this review.

Durability – I do not have enough time to make a fully educated assessment of the durability. Both however seem very very durable. The Battleline is made out of all metal and installs solidly. The PRS is polymer but has a solid reputation of durability behind it. The only spot that I was slightly concerned about the construction of the two was the SAPR, it holds the cheek piece up with tension from a socket cap allen wrench type screw. To set the cheek riser height takes a bit of tension. It shows no signs of giving, but if not tensioned appropriately, the cheek riser could move, fall during a match. Hasn’t happened but it is a possibility. Again that is conjecture and not from an actual failure.

Looks - Finish on both is fine though I’m not terribly picky.

Carbine vs rifle length buffer system – Although the differences between the use of rifle vs carbine extensions/buffer/springs, those differences are beyond the scope of this review although it may be pertinent to some. Remember that the PRS will use a rifle length extension, S.A.P.R. will use the carbine length on either commercial or military size stock.

Last edited: