• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul PRS

The Lawn Ranger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Northern Kentucky
I have often wondered if there is a way, short of shimming, to lock down the butt pad assembly
on a PRS stock when it is extended for longer length of pull? I have gone over the dialing mechanisms
and assembly bolts to see if the "battle rattle" can be eliminated.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Perhaps I have not fired the precision AR's enough yet, but have 3 PRS's and none are rattling as yet---have fired one on an AR15 lower with a 50 BMG Tactilite upper
that had a much thicker buttpad installed and it was not loose or rattling either, but that was a 1 time thing for me and I do not know the round count---looked fairly new.
I adjust mine a bit when shooting from prone and switching to bench, but perhaps mine do not have the wear of yours----I am sure some of the premier smiths in the gunsmithing section can help

I dont notice the adjustments or anything on mine rattling, but the damn plate on the hand hookish part on mine always slides loose. I think I am going to super glue it shut since I cant find a reason to slide it forward on purpose.

That plate covers a picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock. If you don't need the rail then I guess you could superglue the cover shut. You could also remove the cover, but it does slide for a purpose. The pic rail is for a rear monopod.

The only noticeable "rattle" in my rifles equipped with a PRS stems from the @#$% buffer weights sliding around, but the adjustable stock components themselves lock up pretty tightly and I have my PRS stocks at almost their full LOP adjustment.

If you are getting that much rattle, try tightening up the allen key screws throughout the buttstock assembly (the ones holding the sling attachment plates in place x4, as well as the cross-bolt found below and forward of the comb adjustment wheel on the left side of the stock). If that doesn't get it done, try a wide rubber band on each of the two steel buttpad rods, or...if you aren't actually adjusting the LOP in and out...try a bead of silicon rubber around the junction of the rods where they insert into the stock body (or where the "rattle" seems to be originating).

I seriously doubt a JP would use a "fake" PRS. This movement comes from extending the butt plate assembly to get a 14.25" LOP.

I have longer arms and need the longer LOP. I might fashion some shims out of the delrin rod I have laying around.

Never noticed a rattle. You sure it's not airsoft or a fake...?

If it's only when the stock is extended, you might consider the extended buttpad, which might eliminate the need to use the adjustments to increase LOP.

Magpul Extended Recoil Pad PRS .50 Thick Rubber Black

Than something might be loose or defective on your PRS. Mine is also rock solid, even when fully extended.

I have my PRS at max also. I too am cursed with being tall and having long arms. I have not noise out of mine. Have you tried moving the butt plate in a few turns to see if the rattle stops? I posted on here a while back about Modular Driven Technologies having a drop in fit soft recoil pad for the PRSand a whole new unit that you are describing. There is one other company, Zell industries I believe, that makes an entire cant and vertical adjusting recoil pad / butt plate. If by some chance that the rattle stops if you change the position of the butt plate and you still need that 14.25 LOP.

Unsure. Sometimes you just need to disassemble/reassemble.

I had the same issue with a Gap 10. I didn't know any better at the time
so I figured it was the norm. I just hope the JP shoots as well without the rattle. LOL.

Unsure. Sometimes you just need to disassemble/reassemble.

I had the same issue with a Gap 10. I didn't know any better at the time
so I figured it was the norm. I just hope the JP shoots as well without the rattle. LOL.

Weird, but I know exactly what you mean. Always a ghost in the machine somewhere that needs dealt with. Again...glad you got it squared away.