• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul vs Vltor

Meat Hunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2011
SE TN
I am wanting to change out the A2 stock on my LR 308. The two stocks I have looked at are the Magpul PRS and the Vltor Modstock. Which is better and why? Also if there is another comparable stock would someone clue me in to it?
Thanks

Re: Magpul vs Vltor

That all depends on what your trying to get out of it and how you run your gun. It's also a personal choice. Can you give more details about what you have and what your end goal is for this rifle? As far as who's product is better? There both at a level where you don't even need to worry about it.

I am partial to the Magpul due to the fact the Vltors pull the shit out of my beard.

Other than that, if I had a shaven face, it would be 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That all depends on what your trying to get out of it and how you run your gun. It's also a personal choice. Can you give more details about what you have and what your end goal is for this rifle? As far as who's product is better? There both at a level where you don't even need to worry about it.</div></div>

I am mainly going to punch some paper at 400-500 yds. Might do some hog and deer hunting with it. Right now the factory A2 stock does not feel right and I have to move my head around to get on the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am partial to the Magpul due to the fact the Vltors pull the shit out of my beard.

Other than that, if I had a shaven face, it would be 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.</div></div>

That is good to know since I always wear a beard. I let it grow out pretty long in the winter too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the UBR as well. Rock solid like a fixed stock, but adjustable LOP.</div></div>

+1

While I like Vltor's collapsible stock options (especially the EMOD even though it still pulls the hell out of the facial hair), I much prefer the PRS for a more "fixed" stock option thanks to the ability to "tune" the stock to my individual needs for the best fit of the rifle/optics to me (I need a little more LOP than the Modstock offers and the adjustable buttplate on the PRS, combined with the ability to raise the comb slightly give me a better fit).

The UBR is a nice fit too. If you don't need any addt'l height at the comb, then the UBR is a great option that gives you plenty of adjustment for a variety of situations.

The I have a PRS and a shooter's friend gel recoil pad on my LR-308 with the 24" barrel and is great for prone shooting, but it might make your using this as a hunting weapon a bit heavier and more cumbersome, but the A2 and PRS are easy to swap out. The ability to adjust the LOP and comb is awesome and the PRS works great with a Triad Tactical Wedge rear sandbag or mono-pod.

what's the best way to sling the magpul prs? can you flush cup it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's the best way to sling the magpul prs? can you flush cup it? </div></div>

Yes...you'll need an adapter, but it is the best, most useful upgrade for slinging a PRS equipped rifle there is. See here:

MGSS Magpul PRS Flush Cup Swivel Mounts

With these, all you have to do is unscrew the wide, factory sling loops (at whichever position you prefer) and bolt on the MGSS unit. Simple and effective flush cup mount for all your sling needs.

oh that's badd ass. do you know anyone with exp. with these? can i just use my tab strap just like on my ga precisoin? do these things hold up? any reviews? thanks again that is awesome.

what do i do about the front for a attatchment? where do i find the best rail flush cup adapter? nevermind i found it on the same site. thanks a million. unless you know of a better name brand to go with, or if these are crap quality.

PRS, UBR, and E-MOD(w/A-5) are my 3 all-time favorites on precision rigs---with the SOPMOD not far behind

I have the PRS on my DPMSLR308, I love it. I can get a quick fix for cheek weld from my Scope or EoTech - works great!

It's not really a Magpul vs Vltor issue, it's what works best for you, if you are having an issue with head position the PRS is the way to go. otherwise I prefer the Vltor family.

I own a CTR ACS LMT SOPMOD iMOD eMOD and A5.

I prefer Vltor as i am clean shaven.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spts05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.cascadiaarmamentdesign.com/Quick-Disconnect-Sling-Plate/QDSP-Model-1/ here is another one i found. what are your thoughts on this? </div></div>

I have these on two PRS setups. Work well and very nicely finished. They also limit rotation which prevents tangles and reduces the risk of rifle scuffs