• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mags for DPMS "Panther" ?

Old Corps 8541

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2022
Milton FL
Are the Mags. for the DPMS "Panther" special made for the DPMS AR-10 series like RRA, and Armalite or are they more generic ?

I feel like this should start off with "in the beginning" but suffice it to say when different manufacturers were starting to produce large frame AR's there was no standard magazine pattern like with the AR-15/M16 series. If they could make it work with whatever magazine they had available all the better and that's why RRA initially used FAL mags, Armalite used modified M1a mags, etc... However, both RRA and Armalite now produce rifles that accept DPMS pattern mags along with most other manufacturers making a large frame AR like LMT, Knights, JP Enterprises, etc...so it's sort of the de facto standard now. Magpul, Lancer, MFT, just to name a few make LR-308 compatible magazines.

What you are looking for are SR-25 pattern (or DPMS pattern) magazines.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
I feel like this should start off with "in the beginning" but suffice it to say when different manufacturers were starting to produce large frame AR's there was no standard magazine pattern like with the AR-15/M16 series. If they could make it work with whatever magazine they had available all the better and that's why RRA initially used FAL mags, Armalite used modified M1a mags, etc... However, both RRA and Armalite now produce rifles that accept DPMS pattern mags along with most other manufacturers making a large frame AR like LMT, Knights, JP Enterprises, etc...so it's sort of the de facto standard now. Magpul, Lancer, MFT, just to name a few make LR-308 compatible magazines.

Not that it matters, it's largely semantics, but Armalite pattern mags actually predate the SR25 and LR308. All of the 308 AR rifles that used various surplus magazines were just 94 AWB era guns. There was a standard at the beginning, it was the Armalite magazine now known as SR25 pattern magazine. Reid Knight just happened to buy all of the surplus Armalite mags and the AWB put a 10 year hold on the civilian market development.

Not that it matters, it's largely semantics, but Armalite pattern mags actually predate the SR25 and LR308. All of the 308 AR rifles that used various surplus magazines were just 94 AWB era guns. There was a standard at the beginning, it was the Armalite magazine now known as SR25 pattern magazine. Reid Knight just happened to buy all of the surplus Armalite mags and the AWB put a 10 year hold on the civilian market development.
Im a retard, just buy any mag. I'm sure it will work. In fact, just throw some glock mags in. They fit everything.

Last edited:
No, no, no, no. This is either confusing or flat out wrong

SR-25 pattern is not Armalite pattern. Regardless of 'in the beginning' trivia, Armalite NOW is different from SR-25. DPMS/SR-25 are one configuration.
Amalite has its own configuration.

MOST AR308 accept the DPMS/SR-25 pattern. DPMS (obviously ) takes those.

Armalite AR308 (aka AR-10) DO NOT ACCEPT DPMS/Sr-25 mags except for very specific models.

Always verify which type mag you large AR takes. DPMS though has always produced models only accepting DPMS pattern, which is the most widely used, but by no means standard

This is what it looks like when you use a lot of words to tell everyone you're retarded.

No, no, no, no. This is either confusing or flat out wrong

SR-25 pattern is not Armalite pattern. Regardless of 'in the beginning' trivia, Armalite NOW is different from SR-25. DPMS/SR-25 are one configuration.
Amalite has its own configuration.

MOST AR308 accept the DPMS/SR-25 pattern. DPMS (obviously ) takes those.

Armalite AR308 (aka AR-10) DO NOT ACCEPT DPMS/Sr-25 mags except for very specific models.

Always verify which type mag you large AR takes. DPMS though has always produced models only accepting DPMS pattern, which is the most widely used, but by no means standard
The hell are you babbling about? Most Armalite AR-10s take SR25/DPMS pattern mags. Armalite still makes AR10B parts for the M14 magazine based rifles.

If your not using an old Rock River with FAL mags or an AR10B, your rifle is going to take SR25 mags.

Thank you all for the info, the "Panther" I was asking about sold while I was "pondering" needing another large AR.
Now to wait for cooler weather and find some LR {600 yd} loads that my 26" RRA Lar-8 loves.

The hell are you babbling about? Most Armalite AR-10s take SR25/DPMS pattern mags. Armalite still makes AR10B parts for the M14 magazine based rifles.

If your not using an old Rock River with FAL mags or an AR10B, your rifle is going to take SR25 mags.
Fucktards everywhere. 2+2 = 5 except for large values of 2 where it equals 7 because liszards

Last edited:
Unlike some, who think reality came into being in the last 6 months, for 25 years or so the primary form of Armalite Large Frame ARs were the M1A pattern mags. They did not introduce a SR-25 model until 2012, and I lost track of when then completely switched to SR-25 but for several years there was only a single model (So maybe the last 8 years of the 30+ I've known them to sell AR-10s they have b een all SR-25)

Thus the majority of AR-10s are M1A pattern.
NEW Armalite and the AR-10A take SR-25. Not everyone buys new.

THEN someone will be along to say that today's Armalite isn't the original Armalite (which it isn't) and that the original Waffle Mags are the SR-25 (which it is) and totally confuse the issue. I simply wanted to write for posterity that there are "Armalite Pattern" mags and "SR-25" mags (and FAL mags, but fuck you). The majority of Amalite rifles take Armalite Pattern. (25/35 is greater than 0.5!) But rather than clarify my comment that NEW Armallite is SR-25 you and the other fuckface decided to just swing your balls around.

TLDR: 308 ARs are a mess. Nothing is standard and everyone has an asshole/opinion. YMMV. Math is hard and history is long
No. The majority would take SR25 pattern magazines. AR10Bs only started being made in 95 when Armalite was bought out and refreshed. The point was you did a lot of yammering for no reason. Unless you have an old RRA or AR10B your rifle is 99% likely to take SR25/DPMS/AR10A whatever the fuck you want to call it mags.

This back and forth has nothing to do with OP's question anyway. DPMS Panther 308/762 takes a DPMS/SR25 magazine.

Eagle Arms bought the rights to the name Armalite. Armalite pattern mags are not the M14 converted mags sold by Eagle arms.

An fyi for anyone who cares. Early Armalite AR10 waffle mags are also not SR25 compatible. They can be with a little modification but, it will be at the risk of killing any collector/resale value.