• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Major differences between 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM?

bluto77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I tried searching this, but I couldn't find anything/and or figure out how to get very many results with "300 Win Mag 300 WSM". If there are already threads on this, please point me in that direction.

If not, then I'm curious as to what are the differences in the two besides the obvious SA/LA? What makes one a more favorable option than the other for particular uses of the rifle? Example, for a mountain hunting rifle the 300 WSM would be more favorable as the rifle could be set up lighter (that could be wrong), or the 300 Win Mag is more favorable for long range bench shooting because "x"?

With the external ballistics being so close to each other, I prefer the 300 Win Mag because it feeds better. How much weight difference is there between a long action and a short action? Not much. Not even worth talking about. This is just a personal preference and opinion. They both shoot great. Best of luck.

The WSM gets really close to Winmag performance with bullet weights of 180gr and less. But with heavier bullets the winmag really starts to pull away in performance. I shoot a WSM with 178gr AMAX's, and the accuracy is great. The velocity is over 3000fps, but if I step up to the 208's velocity will to 2750-2800 range. Where the the winmag can push the 208's at about 2950-3000 fps. Recoil will be lighter with a WSM with same weight bullet, due to less powder being burnt.

I love 190-220 gr bullets and this has kept me away from the 300 wsm. I have contemplated a 300 wsm in a LA r700 and loading them long.

Pick the one you want and don't worry about it. There is the action thing if working the bolt another half inch pisses you off. There is the belt, if you give a shit one way or the other. There is a small amount of powder usage difference if you care.

I say go old school. I did with a 7 rem mag and am completely happy.

I always wanted a 300 wm but when it came right down to it I went with a WSM ..... Why? Because I already had a SA stock and scope base at the time so it saved me quite a bit of money to start off.

I had a 300 WSM built that I'm waiting to get any day now. Was telling a buddy about it on Friday and he asked why i went with WSM over Win Mag. I told him because my gunsmith recommended it mainly. It's my first custom, and I trust the 'smith's opinion. Thanks for helping answer my questions.