• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Major Faux Pas - how would you fix this?

Hookman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
Franklin, TN.
Here is a perfect example of why the phrase, measure twice and cut once, is so important.

As you can see in the pictures this cut went into the barrel material but luckily not through to the bore.

I'm thinking the best way to fix this, without replacing the barrel, is to fill the cut with silver solder then cut the splines back in just like the original.

DSC_4145.jpg

DSC_4144.jpg

Re: Major Faux Pas - how would you fix this?

Leave it alone. It will not hurt anything (maybe). Silver solder won't help it any. Shoot it and see what effect it has. Probably nothing. JMHO

thanks, I think I'll just leave it alone. I hate the way it looks but I believe it wont hurt anything. It's only a cosmetic thing and the flash hider will cover it up.

I think you'd have a hard time getting the solder to bond without a shitload of flux. Other than that, I don't have much advice to offer

It's actually a HK91 which had the barrel shroud installed. A new flash hider will cover that up nicely.

I would leave it alone but if you REALLY wanted to fix it I would use a piece of cold rolled steel shaped like a small key-way and TIG weld it in place. You would then have to turn the OD and then put it in a mill to re-cut the splines.

(Just put a flash hider on it)

Do NOT TIG it! The heat that gets pumped into the material will totally screw the bore there, and it's at an extremely critical portion of the bore.

Low temp brazing or MAYBE silver soldering by a very good handler can get you the material back in there. I would use FNP's advice and just put the flash hider back on and leave it alone. If it must be fixed, DO NOT TIG WELD IT.

A Tig is a bad idea. It'll tug and pull on that part like gators fightin over a wildebeest.

The silver solder will work with low temp. The "good stuff" requires the material be drawn to a low/dull red. It's a sure bet it'll goof the bore.

IF it were me and I had to have it:

I'd turn the existing splined feature off the barrel, then make a whole new collar and attach. You could sweat it on with some low temp and then machine your splines or cut them ahead of time.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions but I am going to put the flash hider and leave it alone. I know I can spend time working to make it look nice, but for strictly a cosmetic issue, its not worth it to me. I don't believe it will adversely affect how it shoots either. A quick trip to the range will confirm that.