• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAJOR LAND SNIPER’S CUP 2023

WVa Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2013
1679355330278.jpeg

1679355257351.png

I wish i had a gun and components to shoot this. 6.5cm is probably undergunned. Prc would be tits seeing as thats what won last year

You may drop a couple on the elr targets with the 6.5 but how many targets at that distance could there possibly be? Idk 🤷‍♂️

Last year we had 10 +- beyond 1200. The bulk of the targets are 6-1200 yards with some 1-300 small targets for precision work. Top 10 was a mix of 6 and 6.5 with a Dasher coming out on top. But that was a calm weekend. 6.5/47 or Creedmoor absolutely will compete. The PRC would have an advantage if the wind gets ornery. I would definitely shoot my 6.5/47 in this match unless the wind gets north of 20 mph. Them I would run my 300NM. We had several shooters will little to no experience in this type of a match. They absolutely loved it. The free training On Friday is also world class. Major Land, Emil Praslick, Kestrel staff and the world famous Frank Galli. 😜

Last year we had 10 +- beyond 1200. The bulk of the targets are 6-1200 yards with some 1-300 small targets for precision work. Top 10 was a mix of 6 and 6.5 with a Dasher coming out on top. But that was a calm weekend. 6.5/47 or Creedmoor absolutely will compete. The PRC would have an advantage if the wind gets ornery. I would definitely shoot my 6.5/47 in this match unless the wind gets north of 20 mph. Them I would run my 300NM. We had several shooters will little to no experience in this type of a match. They absolutely loved it. The free training On Friday is also world class. Major Land, Emil Praslick, Kestrel staff and the world famous Frank Galli. 😜
I was one of the newbies, shocked myself by finishing middle of the road at 55? My brother took 60th. We had never shot a match like this before. Was so much fun. I unfortunately can’t make this years cup. I want to shoot this match every year when I can.

@Lowlight , Already signed up for match. Is this something that we also need to sign up for or just show up at 9?

I grew up just a few miles from there, still have a lot of buddies in the area. Is registration still open or is it limited?

GO TO MAJORLANDSNIPERCUP.COM TO LOG IN AND REGISTER FOR THE MATCH. SQUADDING WILL OPEN SEPT 5. ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL RECIEVE AN EMAIL WITH A LINK FOR SQUADDING ON PRACTISCORE. YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE REGISTERED AND PAID ON OUR SITE TO RECIEVE THE SQUADING EMAIL. ACTIVE DUTY AND INDUSTRY TEAMS THAT ARE LISTED WITH ME WILL ALSO RECEIVE THE SQUADDING INVITE.

Black Bear Shooting Club would like to invite you to participate in the inaugural Major Land ...jpeg

interesting. Im signed up this looks to good to miss with Frank giving us DOPE pre match, Emil telling us some things to consider with wind, NIGHT SHOOTING! High angles, movers, and its all in the mountains out to 2kyd...✈️

Question, what are you guys thinking for spotters in your ruck? 15-18x binos, straight spotter 15-45x, or will 10x sig rangefinders be all thats necessary? Asking because im flying so limited space/weight.

interesting. Im signed up this looks to good to miss with Frank giving us DOPE pre match, Emil telling us some things to consider with wind, NIGHT SHOOTING! High angles, movers, and its all in the mountains out to 2kyd...✈️

Question, what are you guys thinking for spotters in your ruck? 15-18x binos, straight spotter 15-45x, or will 10x sig rangefinders be all we need (targets pretty easy to find)?
Last year I brought my vortex 27-60x and fury ABs, didn’t touch the spotter once and was stuck with the extra weight. Binos will do you just fine.

Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
Below is a look at the longest bays. Targets are very easy to identify. Bino or rangefinder setup like the Kilo 10,000 or Vortex Fury is more than adequately. There will be plenty of glass at the wind clinic to look while Emil is talking.
IMG_8620.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg

Below is a look at the longest bays. Targets are very easy to identify. Bino or rangefinder setup like the Kilo 10,000 or Vortex Fury is more than adequately. There will be plenty of glass at the wind clinic to look while Emil is talking. View attachment 8216800View attachment 8216804
Building on this, here’s a pic from the tower. Targets were in the clearing @1000yd. We DOPEd here on Friday after 100yd check, also did the night shoot from here. 1000yd thermal is something else.

Attachments

• A663C454-2795-4A93-9FDF-3FB4D27C0B29.png
    A663C454-2795-4A93-9FDF-3FB4D27C0B29.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
Targets are easy see. It’s definitely not testing your observation skills but focused on your shooting skills. When we give you direction of fire it just simplifies you locating the targets. We have a lot of steel out there and will be covering the inactive steel.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: TheOtherAndrew
And don’t forget the BBQ dinner. Two Drummers Smokehouse absolutely put everyone in a coma with the dinner! Shooters lined up after the match for a to-go bag of bbq 🍗 🍖.
255175049_10160109893553311_3385471085916746276_n.jpeg
IMG_0144.jpeg

Reactions: GlawkInMahRari
Im back with more questions!

For teams with no teammate will the RO's be allowed to make correction calls for 2nd shot (since no team spotter)?

I thought I heard somewhere 5min stage times with 5 targets/ stage and 1st rd hit =100% its and 2nd rd ht = 50%?
and for that it includes everything to make (deploy/acquire and shoot each target) all the hits? will that be cut in half for single shooters?

or perhaps put the singles into teams of 2?
---------
then an style question for everybody - do you generally like to make solutions for all targets first then shoot all consecutively or do full solution for 1 target, attempt the shots then full solution for next target and so on?

Im back with more questions!

For teams with no teammate will the RO's be allowed to make correction calls for 2nd shot (since no team spotter)?

I thought I heard somewhere 5min stage times with 5 targets/ stage and 1st rd hit =100% its and 2nd rd ht = 50%?
and for that it includes everything to make (deploy/acquire and shoot each target) all the hits? will that be cut in half for single shooters?

or perhaps put the singles into teams of 2?
---------
then an style question for everybody - do you generally like to make solutions for all targets first then shoot all consecutively or do full solution for 1 target, attempt the shots then full solution for next target and so on?
Last year it was 6min for teams and 4min for singles. They did let spotter call for singles. Only really needed the spotter help for the longest stages.

What time do things get started on Friday? I can’t find any info on the website. Probably user error I’m sure.

I just received this photo from the MCBQ team the Quantico Shooting Club helped sponsor. Congrats to Gunny Nick Bazzone and Gunny Jon Charles! They took top Military Team and 2nd overall for the Major Land Sniper's Cup!

Hopefully others can post more updates.

ML_Cup_JPG-2984243.jpg

Last edited:
I think with the weather delay that caused Saturday to run way behind and some miscommunication that the match director did a great job of picking up the pieces, finding a solution and making Sunday happen as well as it did that calling it a shit show is not right. No match is perfect but imo he did the best with what he was given. 2.5-3 hour weather delay can cause mass chaos with any match schedule.

I heard the match was a shit show which is to bad.
I wouldn’t call it a shit show at all. As was previously stated, the weather delay was a major factor, and miscommunication didn’t help that. From the perspective of most of the RSOs, the match director did a fantastic job of taking a less than ideal situation and making it work. Anyone can get praise for putting on a good match in perfect conditions. Ryan was dealt a crappy hand and made the best of it.

I wouldn’t call it a shit show at all. As was previously stated, the weather delay was a major factor, and miscommunication didn’t help that. From the perspective of most of the RSOs, the match director did a fantastic job of taking a less than ideal situation and making it work. Anyone can get praise for putting on a good match in perfect conditions. Ryan was dealt a crappy hand and made the best of it.
Perfectly put!

Reactions: Jet_Wrench
I had a blast, granted i didn’t compete, but was there everyday. The weather delay was major, it was close to 3 hours because the backside of the mountain was fogged in all morning on top of the early rain. The miscommunication had to do with the dinner plans, they originally wanted a hard stop for food as competitors needed to transverse down to Dancin Hills. Ryan wanted to continue shooting to catch up, so it 1/2 were told to stop and 1/2 we told keep going. Ryan did an awesome job catching up on Sunday as they had perfect weather. Sunday was all smiles.

I did a Clinic on Friday, which was well received. I also gave a series of clinics to the Military guys here and there back at Dancin Hills. We also loaned out Laura‘s ATX to the Danish Team as the rifles they were given were less than reliable. Someone put two FrankenGuns together and one just won’t shoot, so Accuracy International to the rescue.

I was able to sit and Chat with Major Land on both days, which was a HOOT. He laughed at my Stories which was a win for me me on every level. At one point he said, You need to write a book and I said, I did ! To which one will be heading his way.
IMG_1156.jpeg

The clinic opened a lot of eyes to the importance of the fundamentals, several competitors came up to me during the event to thank me personally. many said my words resonated with them and helped them stay on the trigger to follow through seeing their misses allowing them to correct. I had a lot of nice compliments
IMG_7786.jpeg

MLSC_Day1w-044.jpeg

I really liked talking to the military teams about the gravity ballistics and how the fundamentals on an instructor level can help speed new students up in a short amount of time. This is evident as the Marine Team was able to take home a second place finish and top MilItaly Honors, so Congrats to Nick and Jon on an outstanding performance with their Terminus Zeus rifles

IMG_2275.jpeg

Pictures are above,
IMG_1148.jpeg

Ok, this delayed flight sucks ass and each picture is taking me 5 minutes to upload so more later on that front

I want to thank everyone who took a second to stop me and say Hello, or shake my hand, it’s sincerely appreciated, each and every one. For those focusing on the negative, it was their second match, hiccups can happen to any event. Weather is, but understand everyone had the competitors best interest in mind.

I will add to this when i get home, I have been on the road 14 days, and having a 3 hour delay after my 4 hour drive has taken it’s toll for the moment. I’m getting old after all.

Thanks to Ryan, Gary, Dan And Cindy, all the competitors, Joel Russo, Ron and the ASA, Tim and SSA, Major Land, his son Edward, all the guys at the Dancin Hills, and each and every Military Team in attendance.

Oh, PS, Lasers ruled the day, I have a photograph of one squad with 10 shooters, only one (Andrew, :p) was not wearing a Laser atop his Diving board…

Vortex was heavily represented as was MARS, but it’s clear, if you are doing a field match without a laser feeding your solver atop your scope you’ll be in the minority and probably playing catch up.

IMG_1146.jpeg

Frank summed it up perfectly. Saturday’s the weather delay and running up on the dinner start causes minor glitch. We where not going to be able to finish the day before darkness set in. Not a big deal, it happens. Anyone that ever set 4-5 hours at ASC because of fog or rain know the deal. You push as hard as you can to get done as much as you can than regroup. We had anticipated a later finish and had slow rolled the food but when we had teams who had finished their stage start the scheduled movement to Dancin Hills it took 10 minutes or so to get up the mountain to link up and get it corrected. You simple could not have teams taking a zero because of that. Doing so would have created an actual issue. Welcome to Mountain shooting in the fall. Ryan did a fabulous job in some very challenging weather and had a stellar field of shooters.The course of fire was outstanding. That mountain was covered with very happy shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    578.8 KB · Views: 34
On another note, it was a real pleasure watching Frank. That guy has a passion for teaching you have to see to believe. He worked late into the night with teams interested in his techniques and strategies. The Danish snipers where extremely impressed. They have never seen the information he was presenting. They will be back next year with more teams to train with him.

Attachments

• MLSC_Day1w-041.jpeg
    MLSC_Day1w-041.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 47
Ryan did a great job with this match. The CoF was fantastic and a step forward from last year. Its unfortunate that miscommunication caused a bit of a mess on Saturday evening but Ryan made the right decisions to get things wrapped up well on Sunday. This is one of my favorite matches of the year and I hope to be back next year. Its unique for the East coast to shoot in conditions like we did and it was super cool, and learned a lot. My team mate and I both ran Impacts and some Fury 5ks, we had good procedure and flow on most stages and it seemed to work quite well. (waiting on the photodump from the official photographer)

386504053_7053974671327102_6745256475758157560_n.jpg

Anyone have the course of fire they can share? Interested in how the target array panned out.