• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAK Switch-barrel?

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
For those of you out there w/ a MAK tubegun (or maybe the Elisio):

Have any of you configured yours as a switch-barrel rifle? I've read some reviews, posts, etc. about this being done, but no details on how.

I'm in the process of piecing one together. I really can't afford 2 barrels right now, but if there's something I can do now to make it easier in the future to use a second barrel, please let me know what it is. I'm building this one (short action) into a 308 (have a shitload of brass to use up), but one day might like a 6.5, 7, or something else.

I plan to use the 360 recoil lug and not glue in the action if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
-Slice

Re: MAK Switch-barrel?

There's not such a thing of switch barrel for MAK.
On the Gary Eliseo, if you get the Savage SA1 stock, you can switch barrels. But this is a property of the Savage action, not of the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's not such a thing of switch barrel for MAK.
On the Gary Eliseo, if you get the Savage SA1 stock, you can switch barrels. But this is a property of the Savage action, not of the stock.

</div></div>

If glued in the MAK can be setup as a switch barrel.

How is, for example, an M700 mounted on a A5 stock, any different from an M700 mounted on a MAK stock, from a switch barrel POV?

Guys,
Can someone explain why a MAK using a Rem 700 action can't be used as a switch barrel setup? Why is it any different then any Mcm out there? I mean there a ton of switch barreled actions out there.

SOTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is, for example, an M700 mounted on a A5 stock, any different from an M700 mounted on a MAK stock, from a switch barrel POV?
</div></div>

They can both be setup as switch barrels. A5-pin the lug, and voila-switch barrel, MAK-glue the action in with barrel floated-voila-switch brrel.

OK, so if that's the definition of switch barrel, than any (or the most I can think of) action is switch barrel.
I guess the definition of switch barrel I have in mind, is that XXXX barrel manufacturer can make a ready-to-screw barrel for a given action, w/out a smith custom turning the tube to fit your headspace.

Hotice,
I thought a switch is little different. I thought the smith cut the chamber to the caliber you wanted on first barrel. Sets the headspace on it. Then sets the next barrel to thread on and headspace.
If i am wrong someone set me straight on this.

SOTA

I'm not a smith, so take this with the given care.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">IMHO the smith can set the distance between the case face and the barrel shoulder, the same as the first barrel, and make you a new barrel based only on that distance.</span>
Rephrasing:

IMHO the smith can fine tune your first barrel headspace, get the distance from the case face to the barrel shoulder, and replicate that on the next barrels.

What you're saying, if I understood it correctly, is the normal chambering/headspacing done by the smith when he installs your new "next" barrel, so it can definitely be done (otherwise you could not change the barrel in a rifle
wink.gif
).

"Switch barrel" means you can switch back and forth between two different barrels. Not too hard to achieve.

I think what HotIce is thinking of is "pre-chambered" barrels ala the AI or DTA or Savage crowd.

Sobrbiker is correct, sorry HotIce. Once the action is glued in the barrel can be removed and reinstalled or switched with another as long as they are set up to run on that action i.e. the headspace is correct. To replace/switch barrels, you unscrew the barrel and just screw a new one on. That is IF the second barrel has been set up to go on that action and the action is permanently glued in.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I'm a little confused -- if a second barrel is already headspaced to match the action, why would the action need to be glued in?

Also, is there anything I need to do w/ my first barrel or the entire setup to prepare for a later second barrel?

Thanks again,
-Slice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sobrbiker is correct, sorry HotIce.</div></div>
There's nothing to be sorry about
wink.gif

Just a different definition of "switch barrel". Like I said, if that's the definition of switch barrel, than basically every action I'm aware of, is switch barrel.

Guys,
I'm sorry must be the no coffee thing this morning. Why would id matter if the action was glued or unglued? In a stock like a Mcm the action isn't glued yet can switch the barrels all day long.

SOTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
I'm sorry must be the no coffee thing this morning. Why would id matter if the action was glued or unglued? In a stock like a Mcm the action isn't glued yet can switch the barrels all day long.</div></div>
That statement confused me too honestly.
Since if "switch barrel" is basically the smith chambering you another barrel (and you swapping between the two), at that point assuming you don't change the recoil lug/disk in your rifle, gluing or not, should be same.
No?

With a remington 700 in usual configuration, its hard to switch barrels even if you have two that are properly chambered and headspaced to that action. The reason is the recoil lug. You need a jig to hold it in the right place when you install the barrel. If you pin the lug to the action, all you need is a barrel vise and action wrench.

The glued in part comes in because when a tubegun (MAK) is built, the action is glued in the sleeve without a recoil lug (not needed-the action's glued in!). Now MAK makes a tubegun chassis that sandwiches the action in utilizing a round "recoil disk" to keep things good without gluing (like swarrick's setup). A little different than the glued version.

With the AI and DSA people have changed in their heads what "switch barrel" means, but for years and years they were just trued action with pinned lugs.

sobrbiker,

Thanks for the clarification.

So if I have the recoil disk with my tube kit (I do), does this make it any easier? Would glueing then still be necessary?

This isn't a huge deal, just something I think I'd like to be able to do down the road sometime...

Thanks again,
-Slice

No need o glue in with the recoil disk, but you'd have to take it all apart to change barrels, and I'm not sure how involved that is.

swarrick may know, since he has one.

I think you should just trade me that MAK setup.......

My Gary Eliseo (6.5mm CM with Pierce action) I'll be getting next week will not be glued.
I've been told that not gluing does not cause any loss of accuracy, and I most definitely did not like the glue idea.

Been looking at the Eliso, they are nice. I have not noticed any loss of accuracy becuse the actionis not glued into my MAK, but I have no refrance either I have never shot one that was glued in.