• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Make a Zombie head (to shoot) out of Ballistic Gel

Linkpimp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
So-Cal / OC Area
Hey guys.. This is anther (How I did it thread) like my Zombie Camo one

IMG_5818.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">I Hope you like it.. </span>

It is rather LONG and has tons of pics.. so PLEASE (for the children, LOL) pour yourself a cold one, light them if you got them and enjoy your time here.

Anyway on to the Thread..

Please note!! This is my first attempt at anything like this so I might fail miserably or I might succeed, either way we’ll find out together.. (Wish me luck!).. As In all of my projects I strongly suggest drinking heavily.. for what it worth.. this is what it looks like.. Hahahaa

IMG_5386-2.jpg

The beginning:
It all stated one sunny day when my son and I were watching TV Deadliest warrior. (Enough said)

After an exhausting search on the web reviewing different molds, cast and just about everything else I could find I made up my shopping list and headed out with my kids to have some fun (dad’s style) and here is what we ended up with.

5 lbs of molding plaster
3 hard resin skulls
1 pig hart
1 pig brain
1 bag of plastic eyeballs
2 cartons of Knox unflavored gelatine (64) total packages
1 Round plastic tube measuring 8” x 8” x 24” ($9.00 at Michaels)
1 cardboard box 12” x 9”x 18”
2 rolls of resin tape
3 rolls of painters tape
1 can of Pam
1 small bottle of cinnamon leaf oil (anti foaming agent)
1 Bottle of Vodka
1 gallon of OJ

IMG_5289-2.jpg

After watching several video of “myth busters and ultimate warrior” I decided to make 3 different types of ballistic molds to shoot up with my .50 Beowulf

1. 2 round 8” cylinders
2. 3 human heads
3. 1 upper body torso

To help achieve my goal (Tools wise) I’ll be using the following

1 extra large (46 gallon) cooler 16” x 18” x 36” (for cooling / setting and storing the ballistic jell
Several bowls from the kitchen (don’t tell the wife!)
A drill with a whisk attached (for mixing) the jell
A hobby scale of measuring out my plaster and Jell
A candy thermometer to ensure I don’t heat up the jell past 106 degrees
Some knife’s & scissors
Vinyl gloves

IMG_5293-2.jpg

P.S.
I still need to pickup the following items to complete the project:
• 10 bags of ice
• A bottle of fake blood
• TBD (things I cant think of right now)

Starting the process:

I’m starting out with the head and a large screwdriver (70 % Vodka and 30% OJ)
My task / requirement here is a make a plaster mold from the skulls that I can use to make the shape and size of the head of course I’ll need to hollow out the skull add the brain and then insert the piece into the mold once the jell has been mixed up and is ready to pour..

Step one.. Making the plaster mold for the head:
I take one of the skulls and I need to add approximately 2” around it so I can achieve a mold that will allow approximately 2” of jell for this task I’m going to be adding the resin tape to the exterior the skull adding approximately 2” to the totally mass. I need to make sure that I still keep the basic shape of the head so I’ll be pressing the tape to the skulls and trying to keep the same basic shape throughout this process.

IMG_5295-1.jpg

IMG_5298-1.jpg

IMG_5300-1.jpg

Re: How I made a Zombie head to shoot out of Ballistic

OK.. One roll and one screwdriver down, lets start on the second roll and the second screw driver..

IMG_5301-2.jpg

Halfway done with the second roll and the 2nd screwdriver (note) getting harder to type..

IMG_5302-1.jpg

OK… Now the second roll is completed. It’s coming long nicely so far (I think) IDK. LOL..

IMG_5303-1.jpg

Cool… I’ve now successfully downed two screwdrivers and have wrapped the skull with two rolls of resin tape, now I need to wrap the skull with painter tape so I have a smooth service to place in the plaster mold and start on my 3rd drink..

IMG_5304-1.jpg

OK… I’ve completed the basic size of the skull ie (3 rolls and 3 drinks) done / down and I'm now ready for the molding phase..

IMG_5307.jpg

Progress is moving along slower than anticipated / hoped.. Ooo well dad by day and builder by night is the life I lead.. LOL..

I started out today (with a slight hangover) LOL so after a good breakfast I went with the boy and did a little shopping.

3 rolls of plaster bandages
2 bottles of Vaseline

So now that the wife and kids are a sleep, I can pickup where I left off.

I noticed that I need to add more (gerth) to the head and I also needed to add a neck! (I don’t know what I was thinking last night!)

IMG_5308-1.jpg

Ok now that I’ve achieved the proper size of the head and neck it was time to get the Vaseline out and coat the head and cardboard box (Vaseline) is required so the mold doesn’t stick (so they say and I’ll find out soon enough)

IMG_5317-1.jpg

IMG_5318-1.jpg

IMG_5319-1.jpg

Cool now the head and the box are completed covered in Vaseline it was time to breakout the plaster.. Since I’ve never worked with it before this should be at least a learning experience for me.. I added the proper amount of water first (remember never pour water on powder)! Always start with the fluids and then slowing add the mix) OMG! It’s not enough mix!.. I’ve got the box coated and if I don’t try something then I’ll lose the box and mix. After pouring the mix of plaster into the box (not a chance in hell!) DAM!! Not even enough to cover half the head (as I was hopping too on the worst case senerio).
[color:"Red"]<span style="font-weight: bold">FAIL…………. </span>[/color]

OK now what!?. Well it was now time to start drinking and come up with a [color:"Blue"]<span style="font-weight: bold">plan “B”.. </span>[/color]

IMG_5321-1.jpg

IMG_5322-1.jpg

IMG_5323-1.jpg

OK.. I have my plaster bandages that I was going to use for the upper torso mold so lets try these and see how they work.. I started by cutting them in strips 3’ long (folded in 1’ sections) cleaned out all of the initial plaster out of my bucket filled it with hot water and proceed to use the plaster cloth / bandages. This is kind of cool as it all new to me..

IMG_5324-1.jpg

I added the first strip of plaster cloth (folded one end over about ¾”) for the seam and begin to cover one side of the head.. DAM this stuff dry’s FAST!.. It starts to tack up really quick here (so have everything ready)..

IMG_5326-1.jpg

IMG_5327-1.jpg

Ok I’ve completed one side of the head (Hey this just might WORK!) Cool.. I’ve got probably 5 layers of plaster cloth on now (I have no idea how much is required) but this should might work.. (lets find out together).. LOL..

IMG_5328-1.jpg

IMG_5329-1.jpg

IMG_5330-1.jpg

OK.. Now after letting it sit to dry for an hour its time to start the second side of the head and time for another drink..

Questions:
Do I pull off the first side of the plaster mold or do I apply the second side with an overlapping seam (??) IDK??? My gut tells me to leave on the first side (it’s dry and water shouldn’t affect now) Right?? Hahahahaaa who knows but its getting late, I’m on my second drink and (to be honest) I don’t really care at this point the worst things that happens is I just fail at everything tonight and start fresh tomorrow night.. So lets go with it and see what happens..

Ok.. the second side of the skull is complete and now I just play the waiting game, drink my 2nd totty and plan my next steps (maybe refill my drink again) lol..

IMG_5331-1.jpg

IMG_5332-1.jpg

IMG_5334-1.jpg

IMG_5335-1.jpg

Alright it’s the moment of truth, its time to separate the plaster molds from the head and see if they will work at molds for the gel. Removing the wrapping from the head and seeing how think I actually got it? and prepping the head for the gel.

IMG_5336-1.jpg

IMG_5337-1.jpg

Hay that actually worked! Right on.. (lesson learned) I use this process on the upper torso it should work great!.. Also the vas worked as it should have and I had no issues at all removing the two halves.

Cool.. lets remove the wrapping form the skull without hurting the skull that’s the key here, wish me luck cause I’m starting to get nice buzz on at this point.. hahahaaaa..

Well that was a *****.. but overall it looks like a achieved about 1 1/4” all around the skull for the gel.. I don’t know if that good but that’s what I’ve got and I’m going with it.. I’ll research tomorrow how much space / cushion the actually human head has between the skull and the skin just for kicks and giggles..

IMG_5338-1.jpg

IMG_5339-1.jpg

Now it time to cut open the skull and try to figure out how in the hell I’m to fit in the brain.. haahahahaa

Look Mom… I’m a brain surgeon!..
anim_lol.gif

IMG_5340-1.jpg

IMG_5341-1.jpg

IMG_5342-1.jpg

IMG_5343-1.jpg

P.S.
The brain is freaking me out!..
ack2.gif
noooo.gif
It’s going back in the frige.

So with the wife and kids gone (swimming meet) I had the afternoon to myself and decided to make the best of it. I started off with measuring out 1 lbs of the gelatin mix and 4 .31 quarts of water, once everything was all measured out I decided to mix it and get in a little football at the same time.

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

Ok.. cool that was easy.. while the bowl is in the refrigerator cooling for 3hrs I decided to turn my attention to completing the skull and having it ready so once the gelatin cools I can melt it, add it the mold and move on with life. I started out by drilling holes in the skull made up some bags of blood installed the brain and stitched back the skull with fishing line. Then I rubber cemented the eyes in for that finishing touch..

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

3 hrs go by and it time to continue on with the project. The gelatin looked good with very little sings of any air bubbles and it popped out of the container without any issues at all..

Ok well now that I a huge chuck of gel I cut it up in smaller pieces (for melting)..

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

Once the gelatin was ready for molding, I needed to complete the prep on the mold for the head. Once the head mold was completed, I then put it in an ice chest and filled it with ice. I’ll be keeping it here for the 3 days so it can setup without being in the fringe.

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

Time to make some gel.
The melting process went quick and easy without any issues at all. I used a huge pot filled it ½ full of water and then found a mixing bowl to set inside the pot (thus making my own cockpit. Keeping a close eye on the temp to ensure that it never exceed 106 degrees and stirring occasionally.

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

The head mold packed in ice and the gel cool I added the melted goop into the mold and hoped for the best.

IMG_5368.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

Forward progress continues with my ballistic gel project
10.gif

With one head completed, all wrapped up and put into cold storage.
greensupergrin.gif

IMG_5381-1.jpg

IMG_5382-1.jpg

IMG_5383-1.jpg

IMG_5384-1.jpg

IMG_5385-1.jpg

IMG_5386-1.jpg

IMG_5388-1.jpg

I can’t wait for my wife to open up the frige and see this!
anim_rofl2.gif
(P.S.) this was my son idea!.. THAT’S MY BOY!!!!
highfive.gif

IMG_5392-1.jpg

P.S.
Lessened learned on the head.
1. Wait for the gel to cool before adding it to the plaster mold
2. Add a piece of 1” PVC to the base of the skull to ensure it doesn’t turn inside the mold as it cools
3. I need to figure out a way to get equal amount of gel around the head as it cools (figure this out before starting on the 2nd head)
4. Add teeth to the next mold (TBD?)

I moved on to the 8x24” cylinder gel. Made up another 2lbs pound of gel, coated my plastic cylinder with Pam, melted the gel and poured it into the cylinder..
The problem I had here is
embarass20.gif
I only made up 1lbs at a time and had to pour them at different times into the cylinder mold. So I ended up with (2) 8x9” (ish) tubes..
shakehead.gif

IMG_5375-1.jpg

IMG_5376-1.jpg

IMG_5378-1.jpg

IMG_5379-1.jpg

IMG_5387-1.jpg

IMG_5389-1.jpg

IMG_5390-2.jpg

Lessened learned.. Next time (this weekend) I’ll make up 2 lbs at once, melt all if it at the same time and that should result in me ending up with one solid gel cylinder 8x16”. Or 3lbs of gel to yield me 8x24”

OK team here goes nothing.. Literally
greensupergrin.gif

. I decided to stop by Home Depot, a meat market and the liquor store on the way home this afternoon.
willy_nilly.gif

I picked up the following from home depot:
(24) ½” UL-40 90 degree elbows
(6) ½” Cross fittings
10’ of ¼” plastic tubing
(1) 8’x ½” piece of PVC piping

Some sausage tubing from the meat market
&
Then I picked up a bottle of Vodka (we have OJ at home)

I started out with nice tall glass of Vodka with just a smidgen of OJ (for coloring)
cheers-1.gif

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

I laid out everything and started on the drink and the torso.

Ok this is coming along nicely now, I’m halfway done with both the ribcage and the drink

IMG_5393-1.jpg

IMG_5394-1.jpg

Ok one drink and one ribcage completed

sunnies.gif

IMG_5395-1.jpg

Ok the necks done..

Now it’s time to mount head on it. I’ll start off by working my way thru the 2nd drink and cutting an opening in the skull to accommodate a 1” PCV pipe (Lessened learned from the first head).

IMG_5408.jpg

Ok now that I’ve done that it’s time mount the skull and finish off the 2nd drink.
(LooK a skull on a stick!) hahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaa I’ll finish off the skull with bags of fake blood as soon as I ready it for the gel, but for now this is going to haft to work..

IMG_5409.jpg

Ok team I made some more progress
On to the pictures:

Went shopping and picked up the following supplies:

IMG_5412.jpg

Stripped the ribcage clean so I can use it as a model

IMG_5413.jpg

Wrapped it cotton to add 2-3” around it for the gel

IMG_5414.jpg

Filled the end too

IMG_5415.jpg

Wrapped the entire thing in two layers of tape

IMG_5416.jpg

Sprayed it down with Pam oil, I ran out of Vaseline, cut all the pieces of the plaster tape

IMG_5418.jpg

Wrapped / installed 5 layers on the front side

IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

Well that’s as far as I’ve gone todate.. I’m going to try to finish up the upper torso and head out this weekend for a good of shooting things!.. LOL..

I’ll post of Video of it blowing up in a few days..

Thank you all for your time and I hope you enjoyed this thread..

Link..

I do need to aploigize to the team thou.. I didn’t include what I did for inside the upper torso tou.. Mybad..

Here is where I take clear tubing and fill it all with fake blood, then I add tons of catchisp to the sosage links and make myself up some guts and then to top it all off, in goes the heart..

This way when I shoot it I’ll be able to see blood splatter and the heart crush.. Is that wrong?? Hahahahahahaaa..

IMG_5397-2.jpg

IMG_5398-2.jpg

IMG_5399-2.jpg

IMG_5403-2.jpg

IMG_5404-2.jpg

IMG_5405-2.jpg

Ya, I'd tell you to get a hobby, but looks like you already have one.

I loved those las two items on the shopping list!

The range is going to be messy. Interesting, but messy.

looks like a "3 bottle project" rating.
smile.gif

When are you shooting these things?

Wow.

And my wife thinks I'm a little too much into this shooting stuff!!!

Thanks for making all the rest of us look sane!
smile.gif

Very cool and creative. I can hardly wait to see the video. Be sure to use hollow heads or varmint rounds
wink.gif

Switch over to a real mans drink, vodka is for the ladies.

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Switch over to a real mans drink, vodka is for the ladies.

wink.gif
</div></div>

hey, vodka drinking real man over here !! its worked for those russians
wink.gif

I betcha you used to put ketchup packets on your army men and shoot them with your .22 when you were a kid!
Like above I've got to show my wife this thread so she'll be glad I only fool with Tannerite.

Hahahahaaa... Man you guys are GREAT.. I forget I posted this up. Hahaha..

Yes, I'm a little off (I admit it), but then again aren’t we all??.. I'm glad you guys liked it thou, I'm hopping to finish off the upper torso this weekend. I plan on shooting this stuff up in the next week or two. I'll be sure to post the pics / video of it.

OOhh just incase you guys were wondering what I'm going to be shooting it with. It’s my .50 Beowulf and some 500gr bullets..

IMG_5999-1.jpg

This should really make a mess of things. Hahahaaa

Have a great one team.

Thank you again for your time and have a great day everybody..

Link..

Where's the range report on this?

Re: Make a Zombie head (to shoot) out of Ballistic Gel

Wish I had this much free time, I would build a zombie army, set them up down range and shoot the shit out of them

And this is how we turn our children into serial killers.
smile.gif
J.k That stuff is awesome man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes, badass just doesn't cut it.</div></div>

Well put.
Can't wait to see some results!

Too much work for me.

I just take gallon milk jugs of water and draw a smiley face on the side.
A little food coloring and... <blammo!> Far less time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have way too much free time... </div></div>

+1000