• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

make me a pro shooter, help needed lol

Pocket

Monkey with a gun
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2019
Baton Rouge, La
landed in the point of my life where i can invest "somewhat heavily" both time & money into pursuing a passion
i want to push into the ranks of PRS/NRL22 as a top contender, gotta register for both obviously

shooting background: USMC STA plt '02-'06, PRS/NRL22 19-now, prs centerfire 22/23 so shooting fundamentals and positions aren't new to me tho execution of such...well...
I now have access to a "local" range (1hr away) but can only shoot steel twice a month (scheduled practice/match days), i was asked to be a match director for this clubs up and coming rimfire PRS style shooting. so i have access to the range whenever and the Cof i can create, as well as use entry fee money from matches to re-invest into the club for props/targets.
i use my favorite range (3 hours away) about once a month/every other month (gunline shooting- MS) great place. they have steel and amazing people!

my current setup
vudoo gen2 24" MTU
McMillian A4 stock (clone-ish of my service rifle)
Harris bipod *swivel w/ pod-lock
9mm local made suppressor (looks mostly i have a .22 can as well but the 9mm one just looks right):cool:
gen3 razor mil/mil

i was running a foundation genesis but felt that it was to thick for me around the grip and fore end. and also was having issues with mindset (centerfire matches mostly), hince why i went to the McMillian. if every target was a bad guy it seemed to make sense in my head. However as i make this transition of time/money investment into practice and practical application of rising in the sport i feel that some of my kit needs to be refined, with .22 i don't feel the i'm that far off with mindset hurdles that happens with centerfire dunno why (TBI/ PTSD its something real that happens and don't understand it) i'm looking for help.

bought dryfire lens and the screen (yes a dot on the wall would have worked) so starting to implement that daily into my routine, normal live fire shooting schedule is 2nd Sat/month is open practice steel targets as far out as i want to go, 4th Sun/month Local match (mostly NRL22 CoF plus whatever i want to add, glory of being a MD i guess) and any other matches from neighboring clubs within about a 4 hour radius currently (south Louisiana)

it may be as simple as balancing my rig and putting an arca rail on it. tho might need to ditch it all and start over with full customizable chassis/barrel length the whole 9 yards.

things i feel should look into:
*suppressor vs tuner vs slick
*ammo - run CX and SK rifle match ( lot testing or off the shelf - see above tuner?)
*barrel length (seen the YT video cutting down a 4ft .22 barrel)
*chassis/stock options
*professional coaching

In a true assessment of my shooting skills (.22 only - i shit the bed centerfire) i would put myself mid/upper mid. lots of top 10, few smaller matches 1st place and a handful of 2nd/3rds. Strong base but tons of room to improve

I'm sure this is gonna get flames and all that normal internet crap but at the same time posting this in a way starts my accountability on this journey.
Are you a higher tier shooter / shooting coach / shooting industry personality ? would love to hear from you and maybe steal some of your knowledge post here or feel free to DM me.
Stupid comments need not apply
Thanks,
Cody

*i will use this page also as a blog of types, updates, triumphs and challenges that i encounter along the way*

Last edited:
Reactions: Chadwhit
its my understanding that there are 2 or 3 schools of thought on this subject (this might be as subjective as cleaning rimfire)
1. suppressors hurt accuracy
2. suppressors can tighten groups at longer ranges
3. everyone else

i guess i need to run some targets out at 50/100/200/300 to test this for MY particular setup and with both suppressors i own and without. though i know they arent trash either. As ive won matches with suppressor attached and been beaten by shooters running them. so it might come down to the harmonics of the barrel with said suppressor attached.

Dry fire is where you’ll really make progress. You’ve got to find what it *feels* like to get stable and on a true NPA. Spend an hour each day/night dry firing on different heights. You need to be able to build a true NPA that you can put on target consistently. Dry fire is where you learn to do this.

If the suppressor shoots well at 100 it will not change at longer distances. Most will say you need a brake for recoil management but if you’re using a true NPA it won’t matter much. A lot of guys are free recoiling and must have a brake to stay on target.

To be a pro?

Does that mean the 10,000 hours of practice rule applies?

10,000 hours of practice, 60 shots per hour, 600,000 cartridges fired?

120 cases of 22lr? Daaaayyyyyyuuuuummmm! :oops:

Dry fire is where you’ll really make progress. You’ve got to find what it *feels* like to get stable and on a true NPA. Spend an hour each day/night dry firing on different heights. You need to be able to build a true NPA that you can put on target consistently. Dry fire is where you learn to do this.

If the suppressor shoots well at 100 it will not change at longer distances. Most will say you need a brake for recoil management but if you’re using a true NPA it won’t matter much. A lot of guys are free recoiling and must have a brake to stay on target.
correct - with the DFAT system i plan to have about 100 - 150 good dryfire shots for every live shot i take.
with a .22 i dont see that i need a break. but on my centerfire sure. tho im done with the big gun for now

@justin amateur yeah i imagine the 10,000 hour rule applies, tho that metric is from 0-hero as it would be so there is a large block of time im able to cut from that being that im not at step one. tho as Precision Underground stated dry fire alot. so the actual expense of that much "shooting" is not 600k rounds.

Take Andy Slades class its worth it. Video yourself to see what youre doing helps. Dryfire helps. Id say live fire at least weekly if you want to win.
Came here to say “video yourself”, it’s an incredible tool, especially if you study with a critical eye.
I will add, if you truly want to be competitive, you cannot overlook health and diet. Read
and pay special attention to the sections on diet, rest, etc.
The other tenants of a fine handgun shot directly transfer:
Building your position
Natural point of aim
Trigger press and timing
Don’t overlook your rifleman’s basics of 4-P. Show me a decent 4-P shooter and I’ll show you a barricade shooter with a leg up on the competition.
Other thing that will greatly help you is stage preparation, data card layout, and your given method of using your scope (reticle vs turrets). Putting your plan into action when the timer starts, yet being able to modify it on the fly if something goes unplanned, can make a big difference.
Practice on a step ladder, 5 gallon bucket, and if possible a 55 gal drum on its side. Your most unsteady height is likely the same for most people, practice the tough stuff. Those pain in the back heights that are too tall for a bipod, too slow for sitting, those are wicked heights that weed the winners from the also rans.
Lay that stepladder on its side for incremental changes in height.
Learn your ballistic app, and tweak it till you trust it every time.
Above all else, have fun with it. It’s a game, filled with good people, be one of them!

And if you are responsible for creating the game/course of fire, remember you are not alone. Having friends (partners in crime 😉) to contribute ideas and props will only improve the experience.
These are just a few stages we have run at OBX Precision Rimfire Club (we shoot M.A.R.S. events monthly, 25-400yds).
E9352AB5-30E9-4760-8B3B-41C7A2F94714.jpeg
6CF28FF4-A34B-4A41-A1EC-E047167E54D5.jpeg

appreciate those! the local club we have is a palma? range its 600 yards, flat except for a 1ft high berm at 100yrd. the shooting area is covered so thats nice but its at a weird angle. its what i got to work with so we make it work but all the barricades have to be portable and put up/removed so we utilize a ladder/barrel/cattlegate/saw horse and a makeshift PRS barricade

oh and a fold-out tank trap my buddy gave us
tho again, can only use that range with steel on the 2nd sat/4th sun otherwise its shooting bays 50/100/200 paper only

and basically gunline shooting in MS has spoiled me with berms to be able to see impacts and make adjustments here it makes me relearn wind and follow thru shot mainly to try and pick up trace for a miss lol

Last edited:
Reactions: obx22
For good information read Lanny Basham - With Winning in Mind.
For transformation do what he tells you to do ... all of it.

The guy won US National championships two years running and the only live fire he did in those two years was in those competitions. Eric Cortina's Believe the Target YouTube channel has a couple good interviews with several top competitors and it is obvious in their language that they are following Basham.

Reactions: Pocket
Suppressors add weight that can tune the barrel, but at the same time while your shooting your adding carbon which is adding weight as you shoot. It will de-tune the barrel and groups as you shoot. Also can cause flyers as debris can enter the muzzel end from the Suppressor.

Finding the right ammo that is consistent with spreads will also help the journey.

A balanced rifle is a must also.

Last edited:
And if you are responsible for creating the game/course of fire, remember you are not alone. Having friends (partners in crime 😉) to contribute ideas and props will only improve the experience.
These are just a few stages we have run at OBX Precision Rimfire Club (we shoot M.A.R.S. events monthly, 25-400yds).View attachment 8160342View attachment 8160343
I try to shoot MARS matches 2x/month if Tony and QSC have them on Sundays, Lately, QSC has been having their matches on Sat so I can't make it.

I've shot A NRL22 match and while it's fun, I don't care for the 'everyone in the country shoots the same 5 stages.' Not nearly the same creativity in stage design. I'll probably keep shooting them for practice, but I doubt I'll concentrate on them.

As posted above the MDs in MARS seem to be supportive of each other.

That web netting stage kicked my ass, Then again, most stages kick my ass, but I'm getting better

M

Reactions: obx22
and i get the redundancy of monthly CoF but again this is the journey of me getting points to be ranked a PRO shooter in NRL/PRS 22
most pro sports all are played on the same court/field size just in different venues/weather (baseball/basketball/billards. so making all things equal is the point. tho sometimes lack imagination i get it, and that is where PRS and NRL22X come into play. i appreciate your opinion on the matter tho.

Last edited:
NRL22(X) ranks people Pro now?

News to me.....
not sure where you are seeing that. or inferred that in the posts? but to my knowledge no. could be wrong, hell happened twice today. PRS and NRL (22) will have classification rankings.

and i get the redundancy of monthly CoF but again this is the journey of me getting points to be ranked a PRO shooter in NRL/PRS 22 most pro sports all are played on the same court/field size just in different venues/weather (baseball/basketball/billards. so making all things equal is the point. tho sometimes lack imagination i get it, and that is where PRS and NRL22X come into play. i appreciate your opinion on the matter tho.

I mean....what did you write?

pro/expert/top of game you understand what im saying. sorry i dont come from the NRL side of the house so the lingo might be a bit off. my experience is more so with PRS in which "pro" is very much a classification. so if you have anything constructive to add feel free. otherwise not sure this post thread is for you.

Good expectations, some make it with some success and others bail when they get beat by mediocre equipment and some Rube with mismatched socks at matches.

Good luck with your journey.

Topstrap

• Haha
Reactions: BillOH and Pocket
so working with this IDFTS screen i feel like i use the orange IPSC target, wolf under it and KYL thats it but good practice. i seem to wobble a little more than i would think in kneeling (both knees down - im short), did pull out the pump pillow and did 1 knee down, that worked well with the longside up. but i feel like my bolt manipulation brings me way off target, might have to adjust my LOP but need to cut down screws to pull out spacers

local match today (i set it up) so south louisiana heat kinda hinders you a bit after setting up targets for an hour/ being a MD & RO but solid group of shooters and some new shooters.

came in 2nd with 5 points off first. (me and "buddy" duel it out at alot of matches so its good competition)

match afterthoughts:
Pros:
* i'm fast/effiecent at dialing though the gen3 razor is so hard with the clicks i wonder if a ZCo/NF would be smoother (also they come in black lol)

*any position from high kneeling to standing im solid at

*12x-15x is all i used all the way out to 200yrds (went to 20 on a 40yrd kyl) - felt comfortable with that zoom range and seeing the full field of fire i think helped transitions

*tons of time left for stages - tho we are at 2:00 per right now and i am used to 90s so i feel like that is just an experience gap and not a pro/con

Cons:
*wearing to many hats, while i was able to get some help calling impacts and score keeping trying to make sure the new shooters had an idea of what was going on/talking to a walk-up about joining AND shooting was alot. (may just load 3 mags up and have them ready to go always)

*i suck at frogging it. WAY low kneeling but to high for prone. - prob should get mo' flexable (as with the content @obx22 posted with rest/diet/prep)

*im not looking at my level, like at all - using a M-Brace 1pc mount and i have the bubble on the lower left front but i seem to forget all about it. and even with both eyes open i just zone it out. might look into the MDT lightup level kit? opinions? i know at least one of my misses was bc the rifle was canted. finished 9/10 and still had 20 something seconds. SLOW down check all the boxes and send it.

*the math is the same but i find myself favoring dialing EVERYTHING while i am good at that, my holdovers tend to be a bit questionable. i think July's live fire practice and match i may do at least 60% hold overs (as the MD i could make all stages be holdover only :devilish:) *this match brought to you by RONCO, just set it and forget it*< i know some other people remember those oven infomericals.

*lastly i know my rifle is not balanced. its extremely butt heavy and im looking into moving out of my Mcmilian m40a5 clone-ish vudoo, to possibly a RimX in a MPA Matrix/MDT/or XLR chassis system with a 1.025 thicc girl barrel (non threaded) tho still deciding if going that route or just putting a tuner on the vudoo and going with the above mentioned chassis. but i know balance is key.

anyways those are my thoughts on this months local match. any helpful tips/tricks/training ideas or videos are welcomed.

7/8/23 Practice day.
87% humidity sucks, i thought i was going to the range not walk through the pool.
hot day but shooting buddy got the gen2 trigger thing for the lab radar got good speed on my rifle and the spare currently set up for the nephew. rough plug in for his velocity into strelok and its giving me WAY wrong info tho i need to set up the profile for that rifle so ill tinker with that. (was telling me 8.2 @ 250, when it should have been 9.7 (center hit impact/confirmed), 9.8 was the dope for my gun so i knew that was off. but again - need to set it up

Todays layout was all about holdovers and being level 25 out to 100.
watching that bubble level i notice that true level to me feels almost canted right. i think the length of pull has a bit to do with that. as i need to adjust that
Ordered a new barrel this morning (muller works, 1.250 27") so ill have my smith spin that up for me when i see him early august. and put into a Matrix/MDT/XLR havent really decided on which one to go with yet. i did ask/send a "contact us" email to MPA to see if they had any T&E matrix pro stocks i could rent for 2 weeks or whatever the process is for that. No response, tho was worth a shot.

all in all a good practice day, new snake charmer target was fun and got in solid live fire reps.

local match today (i set it up) so south louisiana heat kinda hinders you a bit after setting up targets for an hour/ being a MD & RO but solid group of shooters and some new shooters.

came in 2nd with 5 points off first. (me and "buddy" duel it out at alot of matches so its good competition)

match afterthoughts:
Pros:
* i'm fast/effiecent at dialing though the gen3 razor is so hard with the clicks i wonder if a ZCo/NF would be smoother (also they come in black lol)

*any position from high kneeling to standing im solid at

*12x-15x is all i used all the way out to 200yrds (went to 20 on a 40yrd kyl) - felt comfortable with that zoom range and seeing the full field of fire i think helped transitions- Making sure your natural point of aim is consistent will help with this, put your bag, your rifle, your shoulder and hips in line with your target when you build your position, practice that and you will find yourself setting up on target every time and being able to run a higher magnification. When you transition targets, pick your head up off the gun, locate your target and then shift everything again to be in line. dont target hunt through the scope unless the target is right near the last one.
*tons of time left for stages - tho we are at 2:00 per right now and i am used to 90s so i feel like that is just an experience gap and not a pro/con

Cons:
*wearing to many hats, while i was able to get some help calling impacts and score keeping trying to make sure the new shooters had an idea of what was going on/talking to a walk-up about joining AND shooting was alot. (may just load 3 mags up and have them ready to go always) - this is a real thing and comes with the responsibilty of running a match or ROing. youll get better at it, but youll never be able to operate at peak performance and run things at the same time. try to reduce responsibility on matches you care about the result of.

*i suck at frogging it. WAY low kneeling but to high for prone. - prob should get mo' flexable (as with the content @obx22 posted with rest/diet/prep) - bring a bag with you, wether its a pillow or just an extra game changer that will allow you to play your elbow in contact with the bag/ground.

*im not looking at my level, like at all - using a M-Brace 1pc mount and i have the bubble on the lower left front but i seem to forget all about it. and even with both eyes open i just zone it out. might look into the MDT lightup level kit? opinions? i know at least one of my misses was bc the rifle was canted. finished 9/10 and still had 20 something seconds. SLOW down check all the boxes and send it. -Get a send it level and brandt built ocular mount for it. having it in your FOV is much better. Never neglect your level. Develop a shot process that includes checking your level before every shot.
*the math is the same but i find myself favoring dialing EVERYTHING while i am good at that, my holdovers tend to be a bit questionable. i think July's live fire practice and match i may do at least 60% hold overs (as the MD i could make all stages be holdover only :devilish:) *this match brought to you by RONCO, just set it and forget it*< i know some other people remember those oven infomericals. -my advice is to always dial if the time will allow it. you will be more accurate, and cant will effect your shot less. relegate holding to a skill you need to use when the time doesnt allow to dial.

*lastly i know my rifle is not balanced. its extremely butt heavy and im looking into moving out of my Mcmilian m40a5 clone-ish vudoo, to possibly a RimX in a MPA Matrix/MDT/or XLR chassis system with a 1.025 thicc girl barrel (non threaded) tho still deciding if going that route or just putting a tuner on the vudoo and going with the above mentioned chassis. but i know balance is key. - get your rifle to balance 4-5 inches in front of the mag well. ditch the stock, and get a chassis. i know stocks are beautiful, but they arent the best tool for this.

anyways those are my thoughts on this months local match. any helpful tips/tricks/training ideas or videos are welcomed.

Added some feedback in red, hope any of it helps! good luck on your journey. inbox is open if you ever need anything.

Last edited:
Flexibility has helped me vastly in this game. Hitting the gym atleast 2x a week (I know that isn't much to a former body builder ;) ) has significantly reduced fatigue especially in my legs towards the end of a match. I can now go to K&M, practice on a Friday and shoot a 2day and not feel tired. Couple that with some light yoga focusing on "opening your hips" will greatly help on those lower positions, like when shooting on a 5gal bucket. Work on the frog pose and hip flexors and goin areas. Stretch those glutes, bra! Keep in mind, I'm 6'4" 285lbs so my low shooting positions is a little different from your low shooting positions.

Dry firing from a 4' ladder has played a major role in my fundamentals and has increased my impacts. Shooting from different positions on the ladder and learning where/how my body is situated, how much shoulder pressure I have on my rifle, where my cheek is, where my support hand is, how/when/where I am pressing the trigger, BREATHING and feeling if I am comfortable in that certain position or if I need to tweak my stance in a small way. Forget the timer while dry firing. Just take it slow and feel how you and your body is connected to the rifle.

Adjust the rifle to fit you. I adjusted my lop when double kneeling on the ladder. Most of the shooting is positional so set it up for that.

Reactions: Lastsaint21
I am new here, your quest seems to be to become a good shot. Everyone starts somewhere at a certain skill level. From there it takes training and time. In my opinion, the best answer is in Air Rifle, and set up a spot, if possible, where you live. This makes training much easier, as you can train daily. The benefits to air rifle are quiet, low recoil, inexpensive to operate.
My preference for course of fire is ISSF Olympic Air Rifle Standing. As a beginner you may want to do prone and/or kneeling, or jump right in the deep end and start with Standing.
If a shooter can master the ISSF air rifle, other disciplines will fall into place in an easier manner. Reason being is the pellet speed is 540 feet per second. The pellet is travelling in the barrel longer, so a motionless follow thru is needed.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Flexibility has helped me vastly in this game. Hitting the gym atleast 2x a week (I know that isn't much to a former body builder ;) ) has significantly reduced fatigue especially in my legs towards the end of a match. I can now go to K&M, practice on a Friday and shoot a 2day and not feel tired. Couple that with some light yoga focusing on "opening your hips" will greatly help on those lower positions, like when shooting on a 5gal bucket. Work on the frog pose and hip flexors and goin areas. Stretch those glutes, bra! Keep in mind, I'm 6'4" 285lbs so my low shooting positions is a little different from your low shooting positions.

Dry firing from a 4' ladder has played a major role in my fundamentals and has increased my impacts. Shooting from different positions on the ladder and learning where/how my body is situated, how much shoulder pressure I have on my rifle, where my cheek is, where my support hand is, how/when/where I am pressing the trigger, BREATHING and feeling if I am comfortable in that certain position or if I need to tweak my stance in a small way. Forget the timer while dry firing. Just take it slow and feel how you and your body is connected to the rifle.

Adjust the rifle to fit you. I adjusted my lop when double kneeling on the ladder. Most of the shooting is positional so set it up for that.
This might not seem like a big deal but I switched from working out to yoga everyday and man has it made a difference for my older body.. building positions is a lot smoother and easier. Easier to change positions as well. More fluid and a lot less grunting ;).

Oh there is a lot of grunting. So I see yoga might be a key thing. Between years in the corps and then pushing for an IFBB pro card I’ve put a lot of miles on the body

Yes on working on position. You mentioned Yoga, have never done yoga, or do I know much about it. What I have done and think somewhat kind of understand is yoga in a shooting position style of training. For the last 14 months , have shot/trained Standing Air rifle every evening continuous position hold for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours, at least 5 and up to 7 days a week. The first week is the hardest, followed by the next week, after a month you look back and say you accomplished something, then after 2 months pretty much all set, after that the shooting becomes a complex mind game.
One point is , it takes being in shape, 1 to 2 month.., and then the development/adaptation of newer styles/tricks kicks in, you need to work on this. It does happen with hard work, but it is enjoyable work. All about relaxation, breathing, zen/trance like state with focus on task. I am old/older too.
Watch youtubes ISSF air rifle Standing, to get clues on position techniques, there are some amazing shooters all over the globe.

Last edited:
Alpine I appreciate your input. In the PRS(.22) game there isn’t much standing. However there is 5gal/2gal buckets I have to shoot in.
So our disciplines may be a bit different in that aspect.

Tho mental toughness from prolonged “stress” on the body I understand.
Sniper school, BRC, SERE…they all sucked tremendously at the time and looking back, best experiences (well not SERE).

Being comfortable being uncomfortable is universally a skill that needs mastered for all aspects of life

Thank you again for the insights. I sadly live in an apartment so going outside and shooting even a pellet gun is a no-go. That’s why I dry-fire my .22 competition gun. Train with the tool I will use. Tho it’s about to undergo some changes.

Last edited:
weekend matches:
Saturday 8th out of 22 shooters. PRS barricade (4" @ 100) time of 38.80. 1st place was 10 points above. SOLID competition out there at gunline shooting as is the norm. lots of PRS shooters some in the pro/semi pro rankings

heat is a MF. tho i experimented last week with liquid IV, it seemed to work. i sweated my balls off but was never feeling uncomfortable.
4 of the missed shots were ALL me. well i guess they were all me. but 4 of them i should have known better and having not made those mental mistakes i would have been in 4th.

"tried" rear tripod support off a bigfoot / tractor tire for a big-small walk out @100/150/200/300 missed BOTH 100s....oof. ditched the tripod and bagged the remaining and impacted all. so no tripod for me without using it ALOT in practice. bc a match is where you try out new things right?

we have all left our dope for a stage on the scope at one time or another. Im a solid member of that club now too. shooting something long range and was dialed over 10 mils for something. then i had to tend to something vs resetting dope/parallax as the norm. come back to my rifle a few min later and turn back to 0. except 0 was 10. next stage was 5.1 mils so i sent 2 soaring at 15.1 mils....solid. re-verified my dope got to CORRECT elevation and picked up the remaining impacts

cleaned 5 stages for the day.

Sunday:
2nd out of 7 shooters (local outlaw. prs/nrl22 hybrid match)
good time - didnt clean ANY stages but a few 8/9 or 9/10 stages. wind was EVERYWHERE and having 1.3 mils of wind at 125 is a fun day.
it was a hybrid match so we used some NRL22 stages tho some of our props are crap/cheap but i guess that helps train fundamentals.?!
at least no stupid mistakes (see above) were made again. oh wait. i loaded 8 rnds in a mag and none in my backup mag. (to many hats as per usual. MD/RO/shooter)

gear changes:
got a new "gun belt" its an amazon find with elastic/kydex ACIS mag holders i like it. gonna be a good kit. maybe a bag or dump pouch to put my ammo carrier and whatever will let me not carry my backpack. less weight is nice.

Have a matrix pro en route thanks to @Afischer1289 so that will help with a few things like balance. so ill check that one out and maybe the MDT ACC elite if i get the chance.

getting ready for a 2 day rimfire match Aug 5-6th, i figure if i can stay hydrated, keep the mental errors to a minimal i have a chance at walking the prize table and coming away with something other than a bag of coffee or a ECI lol.
tho my nephew (11) is going to be coming with me to shoot his stepdad is going to be there to wrangle him. i will help him on stage and with prep, whatever else but have to remind myself that im there to compete.

Matrix came in today, set it up with the BA for NEXT weekends 2 day .22 PRS match
went through the grips/thumb shelfs and finger spacers for the most natural feel. (vert2/Sm)
Currently a smidge back heavy but that will change with the new barrel.
MDT SendIt level ordered from midwayusa (promo code 15% off optics)

To echo the Yoga comments. Seriously it helps. One of the biggest ways I first noticed the benefits, was doing a 30 minute routine and then doing 20 minutes of dry fire. Amazing how smooth everything feels when you've just stretched out and focused on controlling your breathing for 30 minutes. Give it a try some time and see if you notice a difference.

Had to ditch the MBrace mount in favor of rings to fit my SendIT level, also got a 90° mount for it from anarchy outdoors.

Obviously the suppressor is on there but this is its last ride (2day match Aug 5/6) which time new barrel will be spun up with no threads. And to be fair I’ll prob take it off and rezero, I love the looks of it and waiting a year for them you want to use them. But multiple people and even Chris Simmons reaching out, and one of his take always “I’d ditch the suppressor”

Attachments

• 096C5971-035F-4C14-BD34-9970E81C3C5B.jpeg
    096C5971-035F-4C14-BD34-9970E81C3C5B.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Pravataracing
I run an M-Brace and have my send it mounted to the M-Brace.

100% agree to ditch the suppressor.

IMG_8433.jpeg

Reactions: Rippey715
Yeah EVERYONE is out of stock on the pic rail. Or i would have gone that route (still may - but for match this weekend I have a set of rings)

Reactions: Defender32
ok well its been a minute since i posted here. did some matches with my nephews gun (savage mk22) that i put a razor on. i used cci SV just for the hell of it. actually came in 4th out of 12. but that was bc i was waiting on my barrel to arrive and be spun up.

last weekend i made the trip to MS to pick up my mullerworks 1:13 barrel on my gen2 vudoo. (also into the rainbow MPA chassis formerly belonging to Patrick Youngs) built everything up but it wasn't ready to compete as i got it the morning of the SE Rimfire PRS finalie. and i wasn't about to use a silly savage at the last match of the season. Got everything together and zero'd figured out speed- kinda, tried to use a lab radar but it wouldn't pick up any recoil or jump in the gun. so just shot close enough to get on target and then adjusted velocity with true dial in the strelok app. out too 300.

This weekend had a NRL22 match in north Louisiana on saturday was able to win that match (with bonus stages) by 11 points. Today *sunday* traveled an hour south for our local precision rimfire match (prs/outlaw) and won that one by 1 point.

overall VERY pleased with everything tying together. i feel like my schmedium gamechanger has now broken in and i might need to add back some sand as i took 1lb out of it when i got it. now to go clean her, and do some dry fire practice and get ready for the match next weekend before im stuck on a turnaround for 30-45 days with work. hope to get to shoot a few matches in Dec.

Things i want to look into getting:
Pump pillow, not sure what size: big or HUGE
Sikes Clutch
Brandt occular thing for the SendIT

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    972.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5213.jpeg
    IMG_5213.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 94
well done with the turnaround for work, took a cruise after it was all done, so im rested up and ready to go. add to the ever moving things of life, we are headed to a new condo. so i am looking at downsizing my dryfire setup: i normally have the Dfat and big screen for dry but opting for a step ladder and a little sticky target on the wall. work on movement and getting into a stable position (frog - kneeling - standing) ordered the "Big ASS" bag from armageddon gear and will see how that fills out the gaps from multiple of those positions.

building the NrL22 Pyramid along with a "rooftop" and one other prop for our club for the upcoming rimfire season. looking forward to getting back into comps after being at work for what seemed like an eternity.

1st BIG match of the year is Feb 3rd at gunline, also a TeamUSA qualifier for IPRF (rimfire).
so to manage expectations: if that match goes well i will continue to travel for the remaining ones, if i get my ass handed to me. i will stick to the SE region for the remainder building on what i have started and continue to shoot and seek out some 1:1 trainings from Chris Simmons and others.

nothing else really going on, OH! that last match right before the tunraround. missed 1 shot for the NRL22 COF. was 29th in the country for the month.

Always forward, Always faithful.

been a minute since i was able to post. work and such.

ditched my 15x binos in favor for a 12x seeing a bit more of the field coming from an RO perspective hopefully will help open somethings up when i can see all the impacts vs scanning like a mad man, really thinking about getting one of those tripod caddy things. couple friends have mentioned getting a better tripod...so that might be coming down the pipe at some point. but new binos and i think ill pull the trigger on a kestrel been using the ole strelok and it works great but i think the wind reading will help tie everything together.

won a few more matches i think that makes 7 wins since oct and ive come in 2nd 3 other times, so just gonna keep grinding away.
it may be NOT helpful but really want to make a AR22 and a base class rifle too. tho im not sure i will use either come match day but i would like to dabble here and there, the gun helps sure. but how much ???

also we will be joining the PRS22 with our local range for the the remainder and the foreseeable future as there are 2 NRL22 clubs in LA, but nothing for PRS...so hope that brings more shooters to our range and allows less travel time for some! so looking forward to hosting those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pravataracing
Video yourself to see what youre doing helps.
I have taken many videos.

Having some minor medical issues with shoulder and knee I was talking to my med pro. (he was appalled when I told him the weight of our rifles) Offered to show him a video. However, I said warned him that I looked and moved like a 75 year old man in the video….he reminded me rather sternly, I AM A 75 year old man! :D.

To the point. By watching video’s, I found I am really much quicker with a Gray Ops Plate and Shemedium bag attached to the rifle than trying to move rifle and separate game changer.

Video’s not only help, if a fellow can bear watching his mistakes, it’s a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

Pocket, are you running a mental program during training and competing, are you keeping a shooting diary to help you plan training and for information during competitions.
You might have all the gear but the shooter is the weakest link in competitions.

Loosely a shooting diary but yes I make the follow on practice days and sometimes our local matches built around what I need to work on. During practice I am able to run a slow methodical mental checklist. During the match that I put on it’s a bit abbreviated but there is still a mental prep right before the stage/after the stage

Bottom line in this game, don’t over think it and enjoy your coffee.

So many get worked up about breathing, timing as well as all the weird theories, just relax and have fun pulling some trigger.

JH

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick