• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Make your own magazines.

MontanaKid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2011
Body:Washington. Soul: Montana
Pretty cool idea to bypass all the panic buying.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q10Jz2qIog8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q10Jz2qIog8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Their website: http://defcad.org/

Re: Make your own magazines.

I looked into this a few days ago. It's only really worth it if you have your own 3D printer otherwise it will cost too much...

I designed a 10 round mag and was quoted between $50 and $70 by two companies o assume that they would carge at least 30% more for a 30 round mag

"How's it taste?"
"Tastes like Diane Feinstein's Lunch."

That's a great line, but a bit presumptuous. Then again, printing mags seems to be a more natural use for the tech they are pushing. I'm not sure how much I trust a printed lower, but a catastrophic mag failure is not really that catastrophic...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Group buy on one of these printers? Frank????? </div></div>

I can get on board with this. I bet you could make your own AICS mags as well...

Follower is being printed. Mr. Belt-Sander will clean up the edges. Still have to find a spring though.
2vj1mz8.jpg

I still have to check this for COAL. The walls are thicker than the metal mag this is patterned after.

You're COAL could be improved a little if you etch some part of the wall out for the tips of the bulls possibly. Just a thought not guaranteed to work.

I will await real results, but I find it hard to believe that printed poly mags will be anywhere near as tough as injection molded poly mags. It may not matter for an AICS, but I don't yet see this technology as a viable solution for AR mags that might get abused. Same with receiver printing that is big in the news. Some dudes printed one that broke after 6 shots. The lower on an AR isn't a particularly high stress part, and plastic lowers that work reasonably well already exist, and spoiler alert, they're molded not printed.

In light of the effort in New York state to criminalize ownership of any magazine with a capacity of over 7 rounds making your own becomes moot.

God help us all.

OFG

A printable mag makes the physical ammunition carrier a disposable item. This largely obviates the need for robustness and the need to horde mags...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N9SiB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're COAL could be improved a little if you etch some part of the wall out for the tips of the bulls possibly. Just a thought not guaranteed to work. </div></div>

QSL N9SIB de KC6WGR
A 10 round 338 mag is high on the list of things to make. Unobtanium otherwise. I'm slowly getting the hang of the CAD program.

Make your own mags ======tag

I had a chance to view one of these the other day. Needless to say, they DO work. I'm not sure how practical they are, but it's good to know you have the capabilities to make what you need if you have to.

I swear I could make them out of aircraft billet and still make money on 'em right now.

Or recycled shopping bags. Environmentally friendly, how could Diane say no?

Seriously, tho... could I form Lexan? And maybe CNC the mag catch/feed lips areas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Function Over Form</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I swear I could make them out of aircraft billet and still make money on 'em right now.

Or recycled shopping bags. Environmentally friendly, how could Diane say no?

Seriously, tho... could I form Lexan? And maybe CNC the mag catch/feed lips areas? </div></div>

Really all you need is some sheet metal, bending tools, and a spring. Might not be perfect, but it would work.