• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Make your own Remmy 700 Firing pin tool

usmc7980

Sarge
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Springfield MO USA
Final fixture here, It is made of 1/4" 6061 T6 flat plate with angle bolted to it. Everything else was trial and error junk
100_0483.jpg

100_0484.jpg

100_0486.jpg

100_0485.jpg

I made my own because I'm a cheap ass. It's really simple, I used two pieces of 2"x4"x1/8" aluminum angle from my shop, some scrap wood, and a piece of 1/2" all-thread. Cut the angle about 2 inches wide and drill a 1/2" hole on the ends. Drill a hole slightly larger than the firing pin head in the end of the all-thread and run a countersink on the hole to bevel the edge. Then I screwed to the angles to the wood for a base and set it up by putting the firing pin assembly in one end and tightening it down with a washer and a nut. Then slip the all-thread in the other end and slide the firing pin tip into the hole. I used two nuts to tighten and loosen pressure on the spring . It is long enough to do short and long action pins
100_0471.jpg

100_0472.jpg

100_0473.jpg

100_0474.jpg

Re: Make your own Remmy 700 Firing pin tool

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I like to jerry rig, and it's always good when it works when I'm done
wink.gif
</div></div>

It's not jerry rigged unless it has duct tape on it....
grin.gif

simple...effective...

Only thing I would change about that is I would drill a hole in the bolt deep enough so the bolts rests on the shoulder of the pin instead of where its resting now.

I may just do that, if I drill it deeper to rest on the shoulder it will take the pressure of the tip of the firing pin tip when compressing the spring. That said I did not notice any negative affect on the pin tip

Looks pretty good, for an easier tool that does the same thing would be to take a small piece of pipe that is just slightly larger than the firing pin shaft infront of the shoulder, and insert that into the bolt body,then screw the firing pin assy back in. It will push the cocking piece out allowing you to get to the pin or to place a coin in the slot.

1000 ways to skin a cat, Good job on the Tool!!!

well the 1/8" angle turned out to not be strong enough so I made a new one with 4x4x1/4" 6061 T6 angle. Mom just got here so I'll get pictures later

Cool idea. Looks good. A dime works well too.

Took USHandgunners suggestion and made a new and improved version. I'm going to make a real nice one at work in the morning that is the same concept as this one. I'm going to move the holes up some and put a support between the two angles for the all-thread to make sure everything stays centered. It will have an aluminum base and I'm going to try to weld a nut on the end of the all-thread for a ratchet to hook on
100_0477.jpg

100_0479.jpg

100_0480-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree Mechanic, there are some cool "home remedies" that should be public knowledge </div></div>

Definitely. I keep a few short pieces of rigid tubing around, sized to drop into the bolt body. I push in the pin shroud and thread into the bolt body so I can drive the cocking piece cross-pin, it's slick as hell.

Nice work on the fixture though, I like it!

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree Mechanic, there are some cool "home remedies" that should be public knowledge </div></div>

Definitely. I keep a few short pieces of rigid tubing around, sized to drop into the bolt body. I push in the pin shroud and thread into the bolt body so I can drive the cocking piece cross-pin, it's slick as hell.
Nice work on the fixture though, I like it!

-matt </div></div>

So when you drop the small tube down the bolt body and press on it to compress the spring don't you run the chance of binding it in the bolt body where it tapers down. I like the fixture mysel, nothing fancy but it gets the job done without tearing up my work bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Took USHandgunners suggestion and made a new and improved version. I'm going to make a real nice one at work in the morning that is the same concept as this one. I'm going to move the holes up some and put a support between the two angles for the all-thread to make sure everything stays centered. It will have an aluminum base and I'm going to try to weld a nut on the end of the all-thread for a ratchet to hook on
100_0477.jpg

100_0479.jpg

100_0480-1.jpg
</div></div>

Do you think it might save some wear and tear on the firing pin shoulder if you slid a nylon washer over the pin to act as a buffer between the firing pin shoulder and all-thread.

Now if someone would throw up some pics of a DIY to make a Kleindorst type bolt tool.....

3/8" alum. plate on bottom. 1/4" angle for ends Hole for firing pin drilled and tapped 1/2"x13 tpi. Center of push bolt center drilled to countersink firing pin to shoulder so the tip is not damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Do you think it might save some wear and tear on the firing pin shoulder if you slid a nylon washer over the pin to act as a buffer between the firing pin shoulder and all-thread.

Now if someone would throw up some pics of a DIY to make a Kleindorst type bolt tool..... </div></div>

I don't think it would make a difference since the hole drilled in the all-thread is longer than the shoulder to tip distance. I don't have one sitting here to measure so just say from the shoulder of the firing pin to the tip is 1.875" I would drill the hole 2.125" or 2.25" just to make sure the tip is clear and there is no contact on the surface that strikes the primer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Now if someone would throw up some pics of a DIY to make a Kleindorst type bolt tool..... </div></div>

If I'm not mistaken you already have two of said tools. If this does what a kleindorst does.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=667752

Not really, they are going bit further. That is simply removing the firing pin assembly from the bolt body.

I like the tool, thanks for sharing.

Neat idea, but what is wrong with using 550 cord and a screwdriver? There is a thread with pics somewhere on here. DIY is great stuff.

Yes, you can use a boot lace to get the firing pin assembly out of the bolt, but not take down the pin assembly to the firing pin, spring, cocking piece, pin and shroud, like this
100_0474.jpg

There are other methods but I made a tool because I like to make my own stuff, no other reason

I meant like this:

About half way down the page
This is how I do it.

This would be for those that lack the tools or ability to make a disassembly tool, or just a handy nugget of info for use in the field.

That will work but you are still stuck holding the screwdriver and trying to push the pin out with your other hand. Mine is made as a benchtop tool, but yours will definitely work in the field
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I meant like this:

About half way down the page
This is how I do it.

This would be for those that lack the tools or ability to make a disassembly tool, or just a handy nugget of info for use in the field. </div></div>

On mine, I left the string long on the little end so when it is compressed, I can wrap the extra around the screwdriver and firing pin to hold them together, freeing up both hands for the pin. I like your idea and skills, I was just putting this out there to inform others. Imagine how many guys used to take the bolts to the gunsmith to get popped primers out before the boot string method hit the net.
grin.gif