• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maker of Harvey's Rum Batter died today.

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
I don't know if you guys know of Harvey's Rum Batter but it's a winter time tradition around here, mix it up hot and add a shot of rum.

It's been made in Bremerton, my town, and the inventor and owner died today.

He made a lot of people happy and added a lot of tradition to the holidays!

<span style="font-weight: bold">
BREMERTON —

Harvey Nunley Hudson, 94, founder of the renowned Harvey’s Butter Rum Batter, died Sunday in Bremerton.

Though he had slowed down in recent years, Hudson continued to work in his production plant on National Avenue in Bremerton until about a month ago, when holiday sales were near their peak, according to his daughter, Lynn Ogren.

The business will be passed to his four children, who plan to keep it in operation.

“It’s his legacy,” said Ogren. “It’s what he’s known for. It is important to keep it going.”

Hudson was an active member in local civic organizations, including Chief Kitsap Lions Club, where he had served as president. He was a life member of Bremerton Elks, Sons of Norway, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Steelheaders Association, Trout Unlimited and the Elks Travel Club.

He was born July 30, 1916, in Pine, Idaho, to Willa Velma Caldwell and Charles Joseph Hudson. After spending his early years in Missouri, he moved back to Idaho, where he graduated from Lewiston High School. He married his high school sweetheart, Mildred Annette Cook, on July 30, 1938.

He and his wife moved to Bremerton in 1942 to work in the dry cleaning business. He owned and operated Master Hatters, a hat-making and reconditioning business, until hats fell out of favor.

Working for Bremerton’s Sportsman Lounge in 1952, Mr. Hudson developed his own recipe for hot buttered rum drinks. The recipe became widely known among his customers, who began asking to take some home.

In 1960, he left the bartending job to work for the Bremerton Sun (now the Kitsap Sun) as a display advertising salesman. About the same time, Harvey’s Butter Rum Batter went into production at a local dairy, with distribution by Darigold. In 1972, he built his own plant and took over distribution.

In 1976, he retired from advertising and managed the plant, which operated each year from October through January.

This year, the plant produced 100,000 cartons of the buttered rum batter, which continues to be sold in both large and small grocery stores throughout the Northwest, as well as by mail order across the country.

In addition to his activities with civic clubs, he enjoyed all types of fishing along with hunting and ballroom dancing.

Mr. Hudson is survived by two sons, Dennis Charles Hudson of Lakewood and Michael Harvey Hudson of Bremerton; two daughters, Lynn Rae Ogren of Hoquiam and Jill Annette Giddings of Poulsbo; a brother, George Hudson of Myrtle Beach, Ore.; two sisters, Thelma Johnson of Little Silver, N.J., and Yvonne Swofford of Wheaton, Mo.; six grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and his special friend, Joyce Grinnell.

He was preceded in death by his wife; three sisters, Velma Sneed, Lucille Simmons and Wanda Vallotton; and four brothers, Robert Caldwell, Alan Hudson, Lloyd Hudson and Claude Hudson.

A private family gathering is planned to celebrate his life.

Memorials may be made to Chief Kitsap Lions’ vision and hearing programs, 4240 Fir Drive NE, Bremerton 98310. Arrangements are under the direction of Lewis Funeral Chapel.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/jan/0.../#ixzz1AE6IC5M5</span>

Re: Maker of Harvey's Rum Batter died today.

Sorry AL, but being born and raised in Vancouver, and I've never heard of the stuff.

Interested though,

Actually found it in a liquor store out here a couple years ago and tried it. I wasn't terribly fond of it (with only two exceptions, I drink my spirits straight up), but my wife, Angel sure enjoyed it.

Sounds like his kids understand the tradition, though, so his legacy will carry on. That beats hell out of the daughter of the owner of a western wear store in our historic downtown. When the owner died, the daughter decided it was too much trouble and closed a fantastic store which had been in business for over 90 years.

No kidding? We used to get it in Nor-Cal, and haven't seen it since we left so long ago...
Panty 6 loved it and would love to have some. I'll have to see where I can find it, never thought about it for so long.

Our condololences to the family and those who loved that drink!