• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maker Rex vs Lehigh Defense Subsonic Hunting Bullet?

wcoats

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
Apex NC
No need to comment or debate on the use subsonics for hunting. I fully understand that a full power supersonic round has much more energy and is more effective.

My father in law recently got a 308 with a threaded barrel and a suppressor and wants me to load up some subsonic ammo for him that would be usable for hunting at close range. I'm looking at and trying to decide between the Maker Rex and the Lehigh Defense Maximum expansion. They look similar so I'm leaning towards the Maker Rex since it is less expensive, but if the Lehigh is actually better I am open to it. It also seems that a 308 rifle with 1 in 10 twist may or may not stabilize a 200 grain subsonic so I like that Maker has a 180 grain option that should stabilize in a 1 in 10 twist barrel. I'm thinking about trying the 200 gain to see if it stabilizes then ordering and using the 180 grain if it doesn't. I can load the leftover 200 gain bullets for a 300 BLK I have if they don't work for the 308. Are there any reasons to use the Lehigh or something else?

For powder I already have some Trail Boss that I've used for some light weight subs for my 300 BLK handi rifle. I'm assuming Trail Boss is a good option for 308 subs with it's low energy content compared to the volume it takes up. Are there any other powders I should consider?

Thanks for any help and input!

Trail boss is ideal for 308 or similar large volume subsonics… if you can spare it. Doesn’t come to market often anymore.

The picture on the Maker website is a little deceiving. The Rex is more of a round nose. The Lehigh is a more streamlined projectile with a longer ogive. Having said that I use the Maker 200gr. Rex. At subsonic distances BC doesn't matter. What matters is bullet performance and both are terrific.

I have shot both Lehigh and Makers into water jugs at around 1000 fps. I know it’s not a great bullet test, but its all i had at the time. I felt the Makers opened in a more consistent manner. Some of the petals on the Lehighs always bent back as they tumbled but the Makers always held up.

Attachments

• IMG_9418.jpeg
    IMG_9418.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 61914053366__6096F67F-5A50-40EE-96FD-1CCA58CF84D7.jpeg
    61914053366__6096F67F-5A50-40EE-96FD-1CCA58CF84D7.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 45
I saw the same results. Actually did the water jug test several times just cause it's fun. Same results every time. Should also note that the bullets recovered from two of my deer looked identical to those shot into the gallon jugs and no loss of pedals

Last edited:
Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
Anyone tested penetration in any way with both of these? I have some of the Lehigh 194 ME loaded up for .300 blk subs, but I haven’t played with the Makers yet.

I did end up going with the Maker Rex for both a 180 gr 308 load and a 200 gr 300 BLK load. My father in law has shot two deer with the 180 gr load and is very happy with the results. Both were neck shots and the deer dropped right where it was.

Ive done the water jug test several times. At 1000 fps they both passed through 3 ea. 1 gal. jugs of water and stopped in the 4th. One of the Lehigh lost a petal. The Makers peel back perfectly like in their adds. The Lehigh hits with a loud Crack. Sounds nasty. I've done this several times cause it's so cool. The Makers always "peeled" back where the Lehighs seem to open up but the petals want to stay more straight. So far I've only used the Makers on deer and have 100% success with them. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Lehighs if i didn't already have 50 Makers loaded up.Hope this helps.

Reactions: J. W.
The 194gr Lehigh is devastating to thin skinned animals. I have used them for deer and hogs with no problems on putting them down.