• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

making 260 brass

Re: making 260 brass

Been down this road with Lapua 243 and 308. Results were no better than with Remington 260 brass in my sub MOA DPMS LR.

Mr. Humble, Thanks. The reason I am looking at going this way is that I have a ton of Lapua brass already. So My question is still. Has anyone necked down 308 brass for the 260 and were there any issues. I know necking up the 243 you have to neck turn a small portion of the neck (shoulder now turned into neck).

Jerry

It's a lot of case prep, but it will work. I would get a 7mm-08 FL die to use first, then a 260 die. I haven't looked, but if they made a case forming die set for 260 from 308, then I'd go that route (which might just be a 7mm FL die). Check out RCBS' website to see. You may need to neck turn if you have a tight chamber. The brass should thicken up some in the neck. Plus you will have to trim to length. If you just have a ton of this brass and want to size it down, go for it. I'd sell the 308 to fund new 260 brass, honestly. It's time consuming to do this. I would try 2 or 3 first, and see if it's a task you want to do.

I take new 243 Lapua brass, run it over a 6.5 mandrel, then turn the neck/shoulder junction just a tad then form the case.

After the first firing it is formed and the neck/shoulder had somewhere to go, no donuts yet.

I took 308 remington brass, shoved it in my 260 Redding FL die and used it with no problems.

Over the years I've played with necking-down various brands of 308 and 7mm/08 brass and necking-up 243 brass. For the 308 brass, I run it through a 7mm-08 neck-sizing die as an intermediate step. Dies are cheap.

Lately though, I just run RP 260 brass and call it good.

I keep thinking I should look at Norma or Nosler, but I haven't yet.

Mike