• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Making 6XC from 6.5 Creedmoor Brass.

hengehold

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2011
NJ, USA
I would like to use Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor Brass to make 6XC. I looked at reamer prints and it looks like I will have to trim some length off the neck but should otherwise be an easy process. Anyone else doing this?

-T

Following, this has entered my mind. I've formed SLR brass in a die, but that was expanding the dia of the case. You have up to .008" of dia in the shoulder that needs compacted.
I have xc die, and some old creed brass, I could run a coupe quick.

Last edited:
I just made a couple from older fired Hornady brass. I pulled the die innards, no bushing or stem. I did get some hydraulic dents on the shoulder from improper lube, then had to run back through with a bushing so my Giraud would trim them, I took off .035" to get to 1.900, guy could go 1.910" for the first firing.
Chambered in both my XC's.
Using new brass, rather than fired would be easier.
xc2.jpg
My pics suck, 2 on the left just formed, right 2 are processed Norma. Not sure if brass color, the shoulder on formed to the naked eye look slightly different, but the bump on the formed is .0005" more, probably because I ran through the sizer twice.
I think you are good to go, a tight bump, to match your chamber, being brass is constricted in all areas, it should result in load and go< no firing to match chamber dimensions, die did it for you.

@Milo 2.5 Just for more info, whats it put the web diameter at now once converted? .462 or .468? I assume the larger but thats good. My 6xcii has a chamber with .470 which is what the creed should be, just want to see that youre not using a gen 1 die to get them to clear in your chamber.

@Milo 2.5 Just for more info, whats it put the web diameter at now once converted? .462 or .468? I assume the larger but thats good. My 6xcii has a chamber with .470 which is what the creed should be, just want to see that youre not using a gen 1 die to get them to clear in your chamber.
Ok, I am lost on the gen 1 die? Mine a Whidden fl bushing, so no clue. The brass measures .468" at the .2 mark. Not getting into this aspect, lot of diff creed reamers, I have Hornady brass fired from years ago that come from chamber at .468-469", my last 6 creed chamber used went .4714".
file:///C:/Users/Milo/Desktop/6%20creed.pdf
Starting with new brass should be a wash in that area of the case.
Capture1.PNG

It was actually minimal work to do, trimming first would have helped, I wasn't going to try figure that aspect up front. Trimming .025+" should work.
EDIT: I'm not doing it, buy peterskin or alpha brass.

Ok, I am lost on the gen 1 die?

The first gen of the 6xc was designed around forming with 22-250 brass and has a chamber of .468 and brass of around .461-.463 which expands a few though to maybe .466 when fired.

The second gen is based around 308 base cartridges with a chamber of .470-.471 with my new norma brass being .465 or there abouts new and expands to around .468 when fired.

The second gen is just a few thou wider in the base. Most everything has been the gen ii for a decade or so from what Ive gathered. I assume that the creed would have been fine there since it has a .471 chamber measurement but your measurement of the brass confirms that it is larger but not too large.

The first gen of the 6xc was designed around forming with 22-250 brass and has a chamber of .468 and brass of around .461-.463 which expands a few though to maybe .466 when fired.

The second gen is based around 308 base cartridges with a chamber of .470-.471 with my new norma brass being .465 or there abouts new and expands to around .468 when fired.

The second gen is just a few thou wider in the base. Most everything has been the gen ii for a decade or so from what Ive gathered. I assume that the creed would have been fine there but your measurement confirms that it is larger but not too large.
Ok, yeah, I remember, my history with xc gen2, lol

Yep. It is slightly smaller capacity as compared to norma, like pretty much all their brass is, so you’ll need to back off some on the charge. Still the same Peterson spec though as far as case head strength, which means it’s supposed to stand up to a load at proof pressures, and still be reloadable. Norma doesn’t have a snowballs chance in hell of accomplishing that.