• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Making a guillie suite at home

camomallninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
I am sure this has been asked have been wanting to make my own gillie suite can anyone direct me on how I can do it.

Re: Making a guillie suite at home

Heres a list of goodies you need....

Burlap,you can pick it up a Walmart or if you have Joanns fabrics near you they also carry it pre-dyed

Skid-plates,most all Military surplus stores carry shelter halfs for about $10.00 bucks

Netting,can be picked up at Vermonts Barre Army Navy.com

Knee,elbow pads,yoga mat from Walmart

BDU's,Propper or Tru-Spec. make a good BDU and I also like to use a boonie for the hood.

If you use glue to hold everything down use Amazing goop,its the samething as shoe goo and can be picked up at Walmart.If you have a sewing machine use it and sew everything down or take it to someone that does.You don't want all your hard work to go to waste counting on the glue to hold,and plus the suit will last longer.

Sierrawhiskey knows his shit. Not saying these other guys dont. Ive just seen SW's end result, and it's impressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres just about everything you need to know. PM for some other tips or another way of making it

http://www.geocities.com/stalker217/ghillie/index.htm </div></div>

FYI - this pegged the McAffee meter - phishing / stealing info

Good luck

Apply liberal doses of sugar to make it as suite as you want.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Couldn't resist.</span>

I've been building alot of suits for LEO as of late,the Narc. teams have been having good luck setting up overwatch postions and busting Meth labs.So it goes to show they work well on two leggers.

If someone takes the time to go out in their garage or shop and build a suit at least they ain't spending time sitting on their ass and watching T.V.
grin.gif

Reactions: Big_Ben

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been building alot of suits for LEO as of late,the Narc. teams have been having good luck setting up overwatch postions and busting Meth labs.</div></div>

Other officers laughed at me for telling them to tell their departments to actually USE their marksmen for something other than bullshit standoffs...

What is this thing you call TeeVee? Can you make me one?

Before I even think of trying it out, I would like a decal.

Do you sell a decal?

I am against the making of illegal narcotics but I would prefer FIRST that we test our national leadership. Hooking people on cheap drugs is simple compared to the cost of paying for life for a mouth that you would hit if the lies it promised you appeared as you were getting your dogs back into the truck after a night of hunting.

Apologies. I know the market is growing - you keep up the good work.

Nope Forty can't make you a TeeVee,don't have any cool stickers or T-shirts that say guns don't kill people I do.But if you want a Ghillie suit thats made in the U.S.A. I can hook you up....

For me building suits and other gear is a way for me to put extra cash in my pocket to support my gun hobby,and yes the market is growing and I wish more people would keep their money in the U.S.

No need for apologies your frist post was very true,when people see things that other people use its got to be good stuff because its on the internet.And hey thats money for me and other guys that sell goods for our sport,its a vicious circle!!!!

So when you going to order a suit from me????
grin.gif

Sierra Whiskey, your work speaks for itself. I wish you the best and will always steer people your way.

If they are in high school, I will steer them toward Winslow Homer, Walt Whitman, and hmmmm, Dr. Mark Adler.....Americans.

Roger That Forty One,,

I do like some Walt Whitman,I have a book of his poems that have been past from generation down and will go to my Son next.

Ok, so my old ghillie suite is about beat and falling apart. I decided to make a new one and came across this post.

Figured I might as well share the progress (Day 2 blouse).

Be advised making a ghillie suite is a pain in the ass and takes a long time! The rest will follow shortly.

b5fo02.jpg

Drag protection (pads) are hand stitched and Shoe Gooed ( i couldn't figure out how to get the damn sewing machine to work and ended up breaking it.

(Iso/Camping/Shooting Matt pads optional) (Sea Bag used as protective padding).

rrqf7p.jpg

Laundry Bag > Sewed and shoe gooed on top of the stitching for durability.

A lot of guys cut a Square piece out of the back under the net for shedding heat (Sometimes with Velcro so it can be put back on if needed.

Or like my old suite ( you can make your own net out of 550 cord) Although this makes placing veg on the suite and controlling its direction a pain in the ass. Going this route you have to continually repair the netting.

153brzl.jpg

Cut and reinforced by stitching thumb holes ( To avoid sleeve ride up while dragging.

Optional > Some guys use 550 cord and stitch a thumb loop to avoid cutting the suite.

24nhg1d.jpg

Armpit vents (Laundry bag) Stitched and shoe gooed.

The first commodity I would need to purchase would be a strait jacket. That's because when my Wife finally figures out what I'm doing, she's absolutely, positively gonna be calling the guys in the white coats...

I don't mind the strait jacket, but I'm kinda tall, and if I gotta wear one, I really want a perfect fit; so having my own onhand makes better sense...

Greg, you would need a tactical straight jacket with molle all over it so no one makes fun of you...

And, it MUST be in multicam.

plus, you can attach all the pouches, with your extra bandanas and 511 accessories. And, if you have a really small tactical mat like the greygull you can just put a rubber band through one of the molle loops and carry it wherever you go...

The problem with Molle is that it betrays a Tactical intent; not precisely the impression I want to give with first responders...

I mean..., a guy could shot..., and all...

i like to cut slits and sew shoe string ties in the undergarment to enter local foliage into the mix to give a better blend in different environments / seasons. also allows the positioning of grasses and saplings / sticks from upright to wind blown down effects.

315g3t2.jpg

9h3p85.jpg

o59ac7.jpg

Nothing fancy, needs a little more work and a good drag but you get the idea.

Ghillie?!....Ghillie?!!!
ThumbnailServer2.jpg
Sorry.
laugh.gif

As a JTF2 once told me: Get your rifle and forget the Wookie outfit; listen to what I told you and you should be able to hide with what you're wearing now.

It was a charcoal pinstripe 11-point fitted Bulloch, ecru Canali and a Marek tie.
wink.gif

The hard part was always asking my mom to re-sew the pockets on to the sleeves.
laugh.gif

I had very minimal burlap on my suit. There was some, but not much. I used stripped camo net netting with rubber bands looped on so that most of my camo was from the surrounding area.

A guy in a burlap ghillie, looks like a guy in a burlap ghillie. Notice yours is desert acu though... not like you can tie sand on!

Yea, I hear you. A good amount of the burlap will fall off with normal wear and tear. Its universal really, just needs a good drag and a bungee or two for green-side.

A trick I was taught was, when making the veil (we used the boonie hat as a base) is to cut the brim off where it goes over your face. That way, it doesn't cast a shadow on your face when stalking/observing. Once in position, we'd rotate it 180 so that the trailing/long side draped over the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had very minimal burlap on my suit. There was some, but not much. I used stripped camo net netting with rubber bands looped on so that most of my camo was from the surrounding area.

A guy in a burlap ghillie, looks like a guy in a burlap ghillie. Notice yours is desert acu though... not like you can tie sand on!

</div></div>

Desert ACU?!?!

looks like MARPAT to me...

Question for you guys, do you use a fire retardant on that burlap?
if so, what? I'm making a poncho for turkey hunting and worry about it rolled up in storage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i heard flame retardant increases your IR image... not sure if thats true or not </div></div>

Have heard this too, but did some testing before and saw no noticable difference between a treated and untreated ghillie.

Not sure about synthetic fibers though. Most synthetics are supposed to be fire resistant. Never tested it under night vision yet.