• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Making brass

MikeeBooshay

Recoil Sponge
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Houston TX and Hackberry LA
Well the weather just plain sucked here today, misty wet crap. So I did the thing that I usually put off, other than cleaning the garage, and trimmed/prepped 6PPC brass for BR rifles. I know this is usually not in the gunsmithing section, but I am offering it here, as so much of a good BR gun is not just in the chambering, but in brass prep too.

First, some math. I have 3 6PPC's, two with .265 neck chambers, one with .262, and the barrels are marked as such. Each has it's own box of brass that stays with it all season, between 20-50 rounds, depending on the gun. Today was .265 day, looking for about .263 neck diameter on the finished round, working out to a neck thickness of .010. All brass was expanded from .220 Russian to a .243 ID neck before neck turning. Lapua brass usually starts north of .271 diameter, after expanding to .243 ID.

I start by turning a mandrel to hold the necks:
6PPC4_zps39fee384.jpg

I used a bolt and skinned it down to slightly more than .243, about .245, to give a bit of stretch to the neck, to hold it securely.

The DRO is very handy for this project, but don't trust it completely, I mic each piece before removing it from the mandrel, then spot check neck thickness before setting it in the tray.

300WMpic6_zps671bb4af.jpg

Cutting the neck diameter:

6PPC2_zpsde630a69.jpg

When cutting the neck, you have to SLIGHTLY cut into the shoulder, to make a smooth transition to the shoulder, after fireforming. The way 6PPC is made from 220 Russian, you trim the neck diameter, then load fireform loads, and blow the shoulder forward. Part of what is the neck at this stage, will be the shoulder after fire forming.

The finished stuff, prior to fireform.

6PPC1_zpsb8aeb9dd.jpg

I think sometime soon, I'll make a form tool for the neck, with a little radius to make the blend to the shoulder sweeter. For now, just using the Mark 1 Mod zero, standard issue eyeball.

Hope this helps some of you who normally don't see this kind of stuff. The BR world is a whole 'nuther place, interesting to see what is important there, is not so much here, and vice versa.

Re: Making brass

Very cool, I got a chuckle from this one:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For now, just using the Mark 1 Mod zero, standard issue eyeball.</div></div>

Very cool indeed - thanks for sharing! And to think I occasionally grumble about the 15 seconds or so I put into "prepping" each piece of brass...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E. Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool indeed - thanks for sharing! And to think I occasionally grumble about the 15 seconds or so I put into "prepping" each piece of brass... </div></div>

It sure pays off in the delivery though. My mentor in this BR stuff, goes as far as making his own bullets, Yep, down to buying 100k of jackets, sorting them by wall thickness, cutting lead wire and weighing each jacket/wire combo, then pressing the whole thing in a die. Then each gets pointed with a pointer, to maintain the "perfect" opening at the front. Can't argue with his results, at 100/200 yards, he is pretty much unbeatable the last few years.

I can tell you with these rifles, the smallest things, like seating depth, neck tension etc, make a difference on the group size. I PRAY, nay I BEG, for windy shitty conditions, because it takes away from the equipment, and makes it more of a shooters game. Lot's of guys can shoot a one hole group in still overcast conditions. Add swirling wind, mirage, rain ( yes shoot in rain), and the groups get bigger, except for the guys that embrace the conditions, shooting same teeny tiny groups.

Point being, there is a lot to be learned from these guys in the way of rifle building. Not all of it transfers to tac or service rifles, ie.. you don't really want a .001-2" neck clearance rifle in the dirt, nor an external scope adjustment ( ala old Unertl), but you do gain an understanding of what each component contributes to group size.

The neck shoulder junction, would it be just as good to stone down the thickness to a gradual taper?
I'm just asking, I have a .22 PPC heavy barreled rifle and I too have to make the casings from .220 Russian.

Brass doesn't stone too well, gums up like aluminum. It cuts so easy, you can eyeball it pretty good, or use a radius type tool.

After a couple firings, it has no line if you faired it in alright.

I get all gooey inside every time I see that lathe. I bought one for a song and sold it high to start my shop.....I wish I could have kept it.

Nice pictures, I turn necks the same way. It's so much easier than doing it by hand. For the cutter I use a piece of HSS ground to the contour of the neck to shoulder transition. I have a dowel with a nub the size of a primer to push the cases onto the mandrel, and it has a couple hooks to grab the rim and pull it back off.