• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Making my own Ghillie. What base to start with?

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
I want to make a Ghillie for all season Pennsylvania use. I want it for SHTF since I would be hitting the woods with few people. I figure brown would be the best base color to blend all year round with dead grass, regular grass, wood lands, etc.

Does your base suit matter? Should I use a one or two piece suit? Im thinking a nomex would stop me from getting burned. I think I will use an ACU two piece nomex flight uniform which happens to be very comfortable.

It seems like multi cam or usmc deset would blend better in dead grass but the acu will stop burns.

Who makes flame resistant long lasting quality burlap? Do I have to use burlap?

Who makes long lasting quality earth colored paint?

Where do I get the best netting out there?

What pads do I sew in?

What crawl material do I use to reinforce the knees, elbows, and chest area?

This is the kind of area i want to use it in. In the winter and fall it all turns brown so I think brown is my best bet.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XnxT1RF9Kw8/SndkLEI-y5I/AAAAAAAACNQ/HLXwVf82SX4/s400/west-garden-aug3.jpg

Re: Making my own Ghillie. What base to start with?

Use natural burlap with a little darker brown, and add veg as needed.

1. I'd use a 2 piece base.

2. You shouldn't get burns, so I'd go with either the desert or the multicam. But if it were me, I'd go with desert.

3. There is no such thing as flame resistant burlap, but you can add flame retardants to it. You don't have to use burlap, but I haven't found a substitute that blends as well and looks as natural.

4. What do you need long lasting earth colored paint for?

5. There isn't really any "best" netting out there. Hammocks work well, and fishing netting works well too. Any type of nylon netting with 1-2" squares works great.

6. Could use a yoga mat for pads.

7. 1000d cordura is a good option for the skids. You can get it in just about any color or camo pattern.

Hope this helps.

Shay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does your base suit matter?
Should I use a one or two piece suit?
Im thinking a nomex would stop me from getting burned.</div></div>
You just said brown would be a good base color and I'd agree, so why choose an ACU suit?
everything about a Ghillie all comes down to personal preferance, your suit needs to be something you're comfortable with, if you feel a one piece will suffice, then use it. Most prefer a 2 piece suit and I would actually NEVER use a 1 piece myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems like multi cam or usmc deset would blend better in dead grass but the acu will stop burns.</div></div>
USMC desert digital is a good choice, Multicam might work better, hard to say, i like 3 color desert for my landscape, but not for yours... but why are you worried about burns? plan on hiding among any forest fires? A nomex suit is a more than just a little bit over kill. BDU's are a good choice cause they are cheap and come in different sizes. Never know if your SHTF Scenario will come 15 years down the road when your 40lbs bigger lol. not to mention that if you ever plan to add veg while wearing the suit...a one piece suit will need to be completely removed to do so. Not the best choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes flame resistant long lasting quality burlap? Do I have to use burlap?</div></div>
I hate using burlap, even as filler. I chose to use Stalk Grass and Bristle Weed . Its is a VERY sturdy natural fiber material that can be died to colors that will suit. use it for as much as you want and fill the rest with all natural.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who makes long lasting quality earth colored paint?</div></div> i also hate using paint, dye is a better choice and Rit Dye can be found anywhere from Walmart, Hyvee, Kmart, ShopKo, Target...probably even the 7-11

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I get the best netting out there?</div></div> Any nylon netting will work but some are more durable than others. If you can break it with your hands, its not strong enough...other wise they will purdy much all work fine. Golf net, fishing net, recycled pheasant nets, anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What pads do I sew in?</div></div> find some foaming stuff...put it on the floor and kneel on it. If its comfortable...use it. I have used Jelly Mouse Pads, Foam Koozies for your beer, yoga mats etc etc etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What crawl material do I use to reinforce the knees, elbows, and chest area? </div></div> Codura is a great choice because you can usually get it in a camo pattern to match your suit color. 1000d is again, PLENTY durable, 500 is probably good enough but its up to you.

Nomex is gonna give you a wedgie. Get an oversized BDU and slip it over your normal clothing.

Raffia grass (aka stalk grass, killer weed, etc) is cheap and can be had in big bundles at any granny store (sewing, arts & crafts supplies) and works good to simulate dead grass or roots. You will still want to break up the pattern by using burlap and a little bit of jute here and there.

Paracord is often used to make netting. Its durable and will hold up for a long time. I've been using 50# test line for some of my knots and to tie veg. with...the red stuff. (cajun line). You don't need a fine mesh, a 1" or 2" grid pattern with the paracord is good enough to attach your dressings with.

Pad up your knees, not just the kneecap but the inside seam as well. The torso padding, you will want it to start at your collar bones all the way down to your hips.

Don't hang vegetation/dressings lower than your knee. Even thigh length dressing has a tendency to get snagged on brush.

The other popular mod is to cut out a section from the back of your jacket and sew in a mesh screen instead. Think of the sport fisherman shirts that have the vent in the back. I also think a similar vent in the crotch area of your suit would be a good place to help dissipate heat from.

It is also a good idea to sew in thumb loops for the sleeves and a suspender system to keep the pants up with the jacket. Crawling on the ground has a tendency to pull your pants down and draw your sleeves up to your armpits, so having these loops and fasteners help keep your suit on.

Yeah, suspenders and thumb loops are great, I have them on my current ghillie. I'm interested in this raffia stuff... i may need to take some burlap out of my ghillie and add some of that stuff, maybe even make another suit... oh darn
wink.gif

Tru-Spec makes a coyote tan and khaki uniform. You could use that as a base. Use a combination of slightly diluted brown and green dye to make a pattern to break it up. Using a spray bottle works well. I've always used Tactical Concealment dye for this type of thing.

Should I go with stalk grass and bristle weed over regular burlap? Will it be more comfortable?

Im thinking the ACU defender series which is Nomex and VERY comfortable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACU-Defender-M-Shirt...=item518ee81b16

Where can I get the netting and the cordora for reinforcing the knees and elbows?

How many colors should I use for the dead grass suit? What colors should I consider?

i would go with natural burlap put on light. garnish with natural veg with you are in the field. some people pay to much attention to color of the jute, especially if using natural veg anyway. after you distress and crawl around enough the colors fade and all basically turn a dirt brown after time anyway.

best to keep things simple imo.

That commercial burlap seems really expensive. Is all burlap the same or is some lighter and easier to wear than others? Where can I get burlap? I would prefer not to spend 40bucks plus shipping on burlap.

Where do you guys get the netting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nomex is gonna give you a wedgie. Get an oversized BDU and slip it over your normal clothing.

Raffia grass (aka stalk grass, killer weed, etc) is cheap and can be had in big bundles at any granny store (sewing, arts & crafts supplies) and works good to simulate dead grass or roots. You will still want to break up the pattern by using burlap and a little bit of jute here and there.

Paracord is often used to make netting. Its durable and will hold up for a long time. I've been using 50# test line for some of my knots and to tie veg. with...the red stuff. (cajun line). You don't need a fine mesh, a 1" or 2" grid pattern with the paracord is good enough to attach your dressings with.

Pad up your knees, not just the kneecap but the inside seam as well. The torso padding, you will want it to start at your collar bones all the way down to your hips.

Don't hang vegetation/dressings lower than your knee. Even thigh length dressing has a tendency to get snagged on brush.

The other popular mod is to cut out a section from the back of your jacket and sew in a mesh screen instead. Think of the sport fisherman shirts that have the vent in the back. I also think a similar vent in the crotch area of your suit would be a good place to help dissipate heat from.

It is also a good idea to sew in thumb loops for the sleeves and a suspender system to keep the pants up with the jacket. Crawling on the ground has a tendency to pull your pants down and draw your sleeves up to your armpits, so having these loops and fasteners help keep your suit on. </div></div>

Whats the overall best thing to use to pad you knees? Im thinking computer mouse pads might be best. Where would I get the mesh screen? Should I use mesh screen instead of para chord for a net? Anyone have pics of what their netting looks like? Trying to figure out how to attach the netting.

I like the bristle weed and fake grass but its expensive. Might cost hundreds of dollars to buy enought to finish a suit.

That is from tactical concealment, I think they carry it at walmart for cheap, but I'm not sure besides the stores here in MI.

burlap by the yard can be had at walmart, joann fabrics and any fabric store, home depot, lowes. rolls at home depot are about 10 bucks. at the fabric store or walmart it is 2-4$ a yard. (use a 50% off coupon you can print off of the internet)
3 yards should be more than enough for a suit... 4 tops.
a faster alternative is to buy all the garnish materials from tactical concealment. its probably 3 times as expensive, but you'll have the suit assembled in no time at all as 2/3's of your garnish time is stripping burlap (if you go that route.)

35812_1199753372252_1781076846_394261_7662088_n.jpg

You want brown-ish you say?

Yours truly on the left after 8 hours in bush, with two of my mates from cadets. I dont own a ghillie anymore, so i stole the sergeant-major's kiddie-cam one he bought. We were the enemy party so we got ghillies.

In the centre is one of many Australian Army Issue ghillies. This being the most common one (there's also non-standard leaf suits and stuff for different terrain.)
It uses small strips of nylon-ish material, with rough edges and the like. Very light an airy, but still excellent strength.
Going price online is over $700 for one, however this one belongs to an ex supply sgt or something.

Guy on the right is wearing a homemade one. strips of uniform, cut and glued onto place. Furnished with scrim netting and hessian as required. His is by far the best i've seen for a homemade ghillie.

Also a trick, is to get an old uniform and cut it into strips 1/2 and inch wide, and 6 inches long. Thread these through scrim netting and tie off, space evenly (about 1-2 inches apart). Makes for an excellent cam net you can wrap around gear or yourself.
I've seen it done with 'stripes' where the guy clustered US Army woodland cam strips into the scrim, so it was patchy between the tan couloured AUSCAM and darker green Woodland.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Whats the overall best thing to use to pad you knees? Im thinking computer mouse pads might be best. Where would I get the mesh screen? Should I use mesh screen instead of para chord for a net? Anyone have pics of what their netting looks like? Trying to figure out how to attach the netting.

I like the bristle weed and fake grass but its expensive. Might cost hundreds of dollars to buy enought to finish a suit. </div></div>

I used an old "rubber bitch". The litle sleeping pad we had in the Marine Corps. Just cut what you need and slip it into the canvas you have on your knees and elbows.