• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Making the 220 Swift into a 22 CM

longrange772

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2021
US
I was reading up on 22 CM and some comparisons against 220 swift. Around the 55 grain bullet they are both pushing it around 3800 fps. The 22 CM really starts to pull away though because the faster twist rate stabilizes (75+ gr) heavier bullets. Components for 22 CM are harder to find and likely more expensive. Couldn't you just order a 220 swift barrel from a custom maker with a 7" twist instead of the traditional 14"twist? I suppose you may run into limitations with respect to case capacity, which you could maybe overcome some by powder selection.

The Swift has a case capacity of 46.3g.

The Creedmoor case has a capacity of 49.2g.

If being able to fill the case with respectable powders, higher velocity could be achieved with the Creed.

The Creed sounds like the easy button in this situation.

Reactions: longrange772
The .220 swift is a semi rimmed case with very limited case availability.
The .22 CM is a modern case.
Barrel life with the CM will be very short.

Brass seems available, I’ve also been thinking of having a barrel spun-up. It’s an interesting cartridge.

If money isn't an issue, go the CM route.
You have the rifle and components in 220 Swift, I'd spin a barrel.
I mean, holy Shit
> 55 grain bullet they are both pushing it around 3800 fps.
If you are going to replace the barrel.. add some heat ;)
"Swift has been dazzling with 4,200 fps velocities since 1935,"