• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes making things simpler

fatdaddy@55!

Fatdaddy55
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
I am looking to buy a hunting rifle scope 20 power+ that has a cross hair or floating dot reticle ,has a exposed elevation turret, zero stop, and ffp. 2000 or less. tsk bill

Reactions: 338dude
A few thoughts:

In a Leupold, the only option in an ffp under $2000 would be a 3.6-18 Mark 5HD with a PR-1 reticle that would be the most simplistic reticle there. However for hunting I would definitely suggest a rear focal plane (sfp) due to reticle size at low magnification. If that is something you'd consider I would suggest the VX-5HD 4-20x52 CDS-ZL2 - Duplex. This scope has zero stop with our CDS, and is $1599.99. If you need any more info here please let me know.

In a Burris,
Look at the Veracity. Available in 4-20x50 or 5-25x50, all FFP reticles, optional capped or exposed knobs (Elevation or Windage) with Zero stop standard for half your budget. Burris will cut custom knobs for your cartridge if you'd likes as well.
Re: floating crosshair, I’m guessing you're referring to more of the central portion of it is isolated from the rest of the crosshair axes, in which case the Ballistic E1 FFP and Ballistic E1 FFP Varmint reticles. If so, the Veracity 5-25x is available with the SCR-MOA reticle, which does have a floating cross in the middle. If your not opposed to the more practical precision reticles, then the XTR III should be considered as well.

In an Element,
Take a peek at the Element Titan 3-18x50 FFP which is a great scope, however, the reticle may be a bit busy for you.

Be glad to discuss this with you if you have time to call

I hate hunting with FFP scopes. I have SFP on all my hunting rigs. That way I can keep the scope on the bottom of the magnification and still have a nice, usable reticle around the animal (under 300 yards where I normally shoot). If he's far enough to range and dial then it doesn't matter anyway. It's not like I'm engaging multiple targets and need to dial some and hold others.

I really wanted to like hunting with a FFP, but I don't.