• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Challenge Photos

Winny

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2005
This Place
I was contacted by Ms. Simmons from Minibird Photography and asked to post this following message. It appears that there was a lack of communication in getting the shooters contact info to pass this link along, so here it is:

The photo gallery is ready to be viewed. Please pass along the following information to as many squad mates, fellow competitors, and friends as possible.

Please visit the gallery (http://dmcdevitt.photobiz.com/cart/event_login.cfm?eventID=639908), enter a valid email address, and the password "mammoth" (case sensitive, no quotes). Please feel free to forward this link and password along to family, friends, and spectators.

Your gallery is viewable until January 23rd, all orders must be placed before the gallery expires.

If you have specific questions, please send along the photo number with your request.

If you would like a disc with all of the photos from the competition (over 550 high resolution photos!), please click on "Products" at the top of the gallery page.

Thank you again for a great three days!

Dana Simmons
[email protected]
http://www.minibirdphotography.com/
http://www.facebook.com/minibirdphotography

Re: Mammoth Challenge Photos

the photos look good and it was a nice thing to have a pro photoghrapher covering the match.....but

$150 for a cd with 550 pictures on its INSANE in my opinion.

dg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">will have to see. $150 is a bit heavy for the price of the disk. </div></div>

Very Very Very Heavy. Dont think I will be jumping on this.

$150 for a photo cd! I am a professional photographer and that price is CRAZY!!! Drop it to $40, and your at least in the ball park. Even the single pic prices are a bit high for my taste! I spent enough on the match, can't afford pics at these rates.

thats no shit. i figured 30 bucks or so for the cd and that would be no biggie at all. i have a hard time believing many of these will be sold.

Looks like the majority of the pics are the same squad? I was shocked at the prices too.

The photographer here.

For those who are saying prices are too high, allow me to explain what goes into undertaking a competition of this size and what it takes to produce that many high quality images. I'll go ahead and assure you right from the beginning, I'm not going to turn a profit on this event, not by a long shot. (Pun mostly intended.)

I'm assuming that the majority of you don't have pro photographers following you around on a daily basis, so I know that you might not understand that it's more than me clicking a camera and throwing some images up online. That gallery is the result of over 3 days of being away from my regular clients and business, 16 hours of travel time, $400 in extra equipment rental, $200 in added insurance, 30 hours of editing time, and the cost of having to purchase additional web space to get that many photos online. We won't even start to talk about the regular expenses (taxes anyone?) that a small business incurs. By the time everything is said and done, I make a little less than someone who works the drive-through at McDonald's. I'll be lucky to break even on this event.

If you were to book a regular session with me, the cost of a 4x6 is $40. So the $10 being charged for this event is an absolute bargain. Now for those who are going to retort that you'd never pay that price, that's fine, but lots of people do. Those people also understand the difference between me and the Sears Portrait Studio.

Now if you're comparing my print prices to say, Walmart's 98 cents a print, yes...my prints are going to seem outrageously priced. But let's compare. Walmart wouldn't spend 3 days out in the freezing cold with a bunch of guys with guns. Walmart wouldn't spend 30 hours color correcting, touching up, and editing all those photos. Walmart wouldn't have taken the time to sit down with each individual photograph and make sure it's the best photo it could be. Walmart most certainly would not have taken this time to address your concerns.

$40 for 557 images on a DVD that are high enough quality that you could wallpaper your living room with them? No way. $150 reflects the fact that I have handed over all of my rights as a photographer to whoever buys that disc. Once you have your own disc, you can print all those photos and plaster them all over FB...and seriously undercut my ability to sell prints of those images to anyone else. Selling prints is the only way I have a paycheck at the end of the day. I don't even offer a disc of images in my regular business and only offered it here because it's a special one time event.

Now on to the lack of squad coverage, for that I do truly apologize, but there was only 1 of me and over a 100 of you. I started out making the rounds with Joe, but was quickly left up at the Hide so he could run to fix problems elsewhere. I didn't have much choice other than to bounce between there and the Tobacco Barn for the rest of the day. The rotation just didn't work out to where I got a chance to see everyone. Call it a lack of planning on the part of the organizers and a lack of knowing what to expect from me.

So, because I'm in the business of making people happy, I will knock $50 off the price of the CD. Print prices will remain as they are. I'm well aware that I can't make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, but please realize that I went above and beyond for this event. (Which by the way, Joe didn't pay me for. I only make money through the sale of prints and CDs.)

Have a wonderful day gentlemen.

If you have specific questions or concerns, feel free to contact me directly.

[email protected]

like i said before...i truly appreciate what you did and the service you provided.

that being said...for the most part the competitors(myself included) are working stiffs who have a hard enough time affording the match, travel, days off work etc. to have to pay even $100 for pictures of a bunch of guys in ninja masks with rifles just dont work.

the quality of the picture is not in question here. i am not setting for a family portrait and wanting to plaster these on my wall or FB so the cost just cannot be justified.

i hope you sell some of your cd's and break even and i hope you have a lesson learned for any future events should you choose to do them.

respectfuly,

doug