• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth pack?

Jones423

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2023
KS
Trying to figure out what size pack to use for mammoth? Anyone that has any experience?

No affiliation - Exo Mtn Gear makes great stuff. Any framed pack that can carry 50+lb will work just fine.

I've done it 3 times. Not shooting it for 2024 but will be back with a vengeance for 2025. Last year I tried the AttackPak Paladin and was really pleased with it. Felt like it was designed for this type of match. It's minimalist so if you need a lot of space because you pack a lot of comfort gear, it might not be the choice. I will use it again, though.

Nothing against other packs. I ran a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth the two years prior. Its still a good choice

70-100 liter packs are unnecessarily large for this. I think if you aren't fitting into a sub 50 liter pack, you are probably bringing too much stuff.

I've done it 3 times. Not shooting it for 2024 but will be back with a vengeance for 2025. Last year I tried the AttackPak Paladin and was really pleased with it. Felt like it was designed for this type of match. It's minimalist so if you need a lot of space because you pack a lot of comfort gear, it might not be the choice. I will use it again, though.

Nothing against other packs. I ran a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth the two years prior. Its still a good choice

70-100 liter packs are unnecessarily large for this. I think if you aren't fitting into a sub 50 liter pack, you are probably bringing too much stuff.
Man I have gone down a hell of a rabbit hole on packs and that’s a new one, I like that concept.

With all these packs, they have some sort of system to hold / pack your rifle as well?

Eberlestock has one but its too heavy, IMO. Most folks just improvise something from what I've seen

For example, the Sawtooth has a "meat shelf" for packing game meat. I just slid it in there. On the AttackPak, I just compressed it between the... whatever you call them. Wings, pontoons, something like that.

If someone made a molle compatible stock hanger, I'd be in for one but I imagine its probably a tiny tiny tiny market of people who'd want one.

Reactions: j-moose32
I’ll check out the sawtooth, but looks like the eberlestock is just about 1 lb 5 ounces heavier

Last edited:
I competed last year and both my partner and I ran the EXO Mountain gear K3 4800. It was the perfect size and EXO makes a rifle butt stock holder to strap the rifle in. As others have said Eberlestock packs work but are very heavy. Any large pack (80L) from company’s like Gregory or Osprey were also popular. Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.

I competed last year and both my partner and I ran the EXO Mountain gear K3 4800. It was the perfect size and EXO makes a rifle butt stock holder to strap the rifle in. As others have said Eberlestock packs work but are very heavy. Any large pack (80L) from company’s like Gregory or Osprey were also popular. Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain.
I was looking at the EXO K4, wasn’t sure on 3600 or 5000. Feel like the 3600 would be enough but not positive.

I’d go with the 5000. The 4800 worked perfectly for us and while we still had some room left we were able to cinch everything down. I think the 3600 would be too small personally. Just depends what the weather ends up being the week of, last year was unseasonably warm and dry so if it rains or gets cold you’ll want the extra room for clothes/cold weather gear.

I was gearing up to do 2024 but my teammate tore his ACL the week before registration opened, so we're out until 2025 now.

He was going to run a Kuiu, I had a Stone Glacier Krux Evo frame (39 oz) and a Sea to Summit 65L dry bag (11.3 oz). I could run the rifle between the frame and bag, resting the butt on the frame's meat shelf. I can't tell you how it performs, I was planning to test it this year. It was definitely a lightweight setup with the capacity for carrying weight very comfortably. Total weight of 40.3 oz had me patting myself on the shoulder, and they fit together great.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 10.00.32 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 10.01.18 AM.png

I was gearing up to do 2024 but my teammate tore his ACL the week before registration opened, so we're out until 2025 now.

He was going to run a Kuiu, I had a Stone Glacier Krux Evo frame (39 oz) and a Sea to Summit 65L dry bag (11.3 oz). I could run the rifle between the frame and bag, resting the butt on the frame's meat shelf. I can't tell you how it performs, I was planning to test it this year. It was definitely a lightweight setup with the capacity for carrying weight very comfortably. Total weight of 40.3 oz had me patting myself on the shoulder, and they fit together great.

View attachment 8211776

View attachment 8211777
Yeah I’m trying to convince a partner to commit for 2025. I have no gear so trying to figure out what all would be the best and have no experience in backpacking or rucking.

Yeah I’m trying to convince a partner to commit for 2025. I have no gear so trying to figure out what all would be the best and have no experience in backpacking or rucking.
It’s definitely a lot, I spent about two years prepping with my partner and slowly buying gear. Shoot me a DM if you want more info and I can try and help out

TBH I was kind of relieved we could have another year to prep. I've got nearly all my ruck material together, and a rifle specced out, but still needed lightweight sleeping gear and pistol amenities. I was going to try and make a KRG chassis work, but they're just too rear heavy, so I was looking at buying a new chassis too. We made a series of spreadsheets with weights for everything, and got our kits theoretically down to 43.5 and 42.5 lbs. Lightweight gear is expenisve...

Reactions: Modoc
TBH I was kind of relieved we could have another year to prep. I've got nearly all my ruck material together, and a rifle specced out, but still needed lightweight sleeping gear and pistol amenities. I was going to try and make a KRG chassis work, but they're just too rear heavy, so I was looking at buying a new chassis too. We made a series of spreadsheets with weights for everything, and got our kits theoretically down to 43.5 and 42.5 lbs. Lightweight gear is expenisve...
Yeah if I’m secondary I’ll just run a AR and if primary just use my prs gun. So ill be getting everything else but luckily I have plenty of time to do some research.

I'd recommend using a civilian pack rather than a military. The military ones are heavier, but more durable in general. For mammoth weight, but also support matters more than durability imo. I used a Osprey Aether 70L this year. It was on the larger side, did not have much of a weight penalty versus a 60l pack and held the weight very well.

The ability to distribute the weight will make it feel so much lighter and keep you from getting as fatigued. Also having the extra space allowed me to just stuff things in between stages and not have to repack everything tightly. Both myself and partner were under 46lbs each for reference.

Reactions: Tperry and rothgyr
I'd recommend using a civilian pack rather than a military. The military ones are heavier, but more durable in general. For mammoth weight, but also support matters more than durability imo. I used a Osprey Aether 70L this year. It was on the larger side, did not have much of a weight penalty versus a 60l pack and held the weight very well.

The ability to distribute the weight will make it feel so much lighter and keep you from getting as fatigued. Also having the extra space allowed me to just stuff things in between stages and not have to repack everything tightly. Both myself and partner were under 46lbs each for reference.
Howd you carry the rifle with the osprey bag?

As a side note, I see a lot of folks not competing (not just in Mammoth but in lots of things) because their kit isn't "just right". I don't think anyone's kit is ever perfect. Just make sure all the necessities are filled and get out there and do it. You may find that the kit you theorized would be optimized isn't.

For Mammoth, a person could run 20k worth of gear or 2k and any performance discrepancy represented by the 18k gap can be made up with a bit of toughness. Not a lot, just a bit.

Just a thought. Nothing against shopping for bags. That's good too

I'm doing mammoth in 2024. I'm a poor, so I'm looking at getting a larger Osprey pack (55-60L) because it'll be a great backpacking pack when I'm done with the competition. I have an old 28L Osprey pack that's been my primary bag for everything since about 2014. I've abused it hard and it's held up fine, and I'm very comfortable with how it carries. My rifle is fairly light, and I think I can keep my total load around 40lbs if I can get my sleep gear figured out. Haven't figured out how I'll carry my rifle yet. I have a folding stock, so it should t-bone under the lid well, but I also want to try a kifaru gun bearer.

Here’s how the EXO mountain gear held our rifles. It worked really well and kept them secure!
Thanks for the pic. I’ll check those bags out. With the aero gas gun, I can’t tell what the straps are actually grabbing on the rifle
To secure it? It looks like if the pistol grip got under the strap it could slide out? If that makes sense

Thanks for the pic. I’ll check those bags out. With the aero gas gun, I can’t tell what the straps are actually grabbing on the rifle
To secure it? It looks like if the pistol grip got under the strap it could slide out? If that makes sense
So the Butt stock is in an elastic sling. The sling is attached to the bottom of the pack (it’s a 10 dollar add on from EXO mountain gear). The sling is what carry’s the weight The straps across the rifle simply keep it tight to the pack. We would also wrap the straps around the rifle as it goes across to really ensure that it can’t move. It was extremely secure and we could comfortably jog and not worry about the rifles

I did vortex the last 2 years. A couple other guys touched on this briefly. Don't go and get a large pack. The more room you have, the more crap you'll drag along with you.

I ran a large mystery ranch, can't remember the model, first year and had way to much stuff and just took too heavy of a pack. I didn't finish the rucks.

Second time I went with a kuiu pro lt 5500 and it was the perfect size and I really limited myself to only the essentials. I carried half the weight in gear. I had no issues finishing then.

Don't focus too much on the gear. Limit the excess stuff. Learn to find/range/engage on the clock and work with a partner and you will do well.

Eberlestock has one but its too heavy, IMO. Most folks just improvise something from what I've seen

For example, the Sawtooth has a "meat shelf" for packing game meat. I just slid it in there. On the AttackPak, I just compressed it between the... whatever you call them. Wings, pontoons, something like that.

If someone made a molle compatible stock hanger, I'd be in for one but I imagine its probably a tiny tiny tiny market of people who'd want one.
Were you able to fit everything into the AttackPak Paladin or did you have also add their Go Lid to the middle ?

@Bushcat747 everything in the standard pack with sleep pad and wet weather gear wrapping the rifle. I pack pretty light/lean but you could strap an additional dry bag in there if you wanted to add 5-10 liters of capacity, I'd wager.

Still running the AttackPak, btw. Haven't found a better system for my needs yet

@Bushcat747 everything in the standard pack with sleep pad and wet weather gear wrapping the rifle. I pack pretty light/lean but you could strap an additional dry bag in there if you wanted to add 5-10 liters of capacity, I'd wager.

Still running the AttackPak, btw. Haven't found a better system for my needs yet
I like the set up a lot so about to drop coin on purchasing it. Really appreciate the info 👍

I have ordered the Vorn EV45. Have you had any issues with yours for Mammoth ?
I have a the EV45 as well. I just got it. Shipping was fast, 2.5 days from Netherlands (Krale Shop). I haven't really used it yet. The rifle storage area is very narrow. Wider precision rifle stocks don't fit well and neither do scopes with higher profile turrets. They will fit, I can get my Renegade stock and Razor G2 in the pack, but it takes some effort.

I have a the EV45 as well. I just got it. Shipping was fast, 2.5 days from Netherlands (Krale Shop). I haven't really used it yet. The rifle storage area is very narrow. Wider precision rifle stocks don't fit well and neither do scopes with higher profile turrets. They will fit, I can get my Renegade stock and Razor G2 in the pack, but it takes some effort.
Ordered mine from the homeland - UK. See if it works, but sounds like it is a good hunting pack. I will be ordering the AttackPak Paladin shortly. Seems it is taylor made for adventure racing. But I live in Alaska - so If I decide to sell the Vorn - plenty of hunters here that will pick it up (hopefully)

I ran a k3 exo 4800 in 2023 and it was great. I just wish I installed locking buckles because in the final ruck the buckles holding my rifle lossened and it started swinging. Was going to do it again this year but I moved away from my partner and just had a 2nd kid, wife has a say in it.

I'll be upgrading to a k4 once I'm ready for mammoth again, I hear it fixed the lumbar slippage which is the chief complaint many people have with exo packs.

As for size, I had excessive space left in my 4800, but their is no frame size difference between the 3600 and 5000 and they compress down super well, so I'll probably go for the 5000.

I ran a k3 exo 4800 in 2023 and it was great. I just wish I installed locking buckles because in the final ruck the buckles holding my rifle lossened and it started swinging. Was going to do it again this year but I moved away from my partner and just had a 2nd kid, wife has a say in it.

I'll be upgrading to a k4 once I'm ready for mammoth again, I hear it fixed the lumbar slippage which is the chief complaint many people have with exo packs.

As for size, I had excessive space left in my 4800, but their is no frame size difference between the 3600 and 5000 and they compress down super well, so I'll probably go for the 5000.
I found the k4 to fit me better than the k3. It locks into your back better. Its every. I just ordered a light weight seirra flex bag last min, 2 days out to try it out. Not sure if will carry 54lbs as well tho.