• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2021

Dude I’ve already been training by hammering some beers and going out for some miles 😂
We gotta go to the peaks after also! We went all nasty then drove straight back home to San Antonio that night!

Pre match beers at peaks is tradition at this point, I like watching people's faces as we pound beers the night before step off.

• Haha
Reactions: never_summer
Pre-registration, should just be called registration though lol. You can be put on a wait list and more than likely there will be some spots that come up, there were a lot last year when the competition started. I believe the only issue is deadline on paperwork to be part of the competition on base

Pre-registration, should just be called registration though lol. You can be put on a wait list and more than likely there will be some spots that come up, there were a lot last year when the competition started. I believe the only issue is deadline on paperwork to be part of the competition on base
What was the deadline for applications?

Anyone started gear selection, prep, etc?

Ill start with the heavy packs in September as it'll give me time to work up without trashing my feet and knees. Otherwise its regular running and exercising for me.

I learned a few things last year, but I think we are planning to bring the same gear but different guns and add some items.
Stuff we are both planning on bringing this time: an ag pump pillow, maybe a tripod with no head, and revised food.
Number one thing I’m on the lookout for right now is some aluminum case 9mm!

Looking forward to watching and learning from the sidelines this year.

Reactions: E-Tool
In it. It’ll be my first year. Been planning for it since 2020 Mammoth. Slowly finding ways to trim pack weight and working on increasing pace. Now if only I could shoot decenthaha

I’ll work on a write up of everything I’m bringing with associated weights so maybe some folks can give some feedback, if they’d be so kind.

When I first packed a ruck to start training pack was just under 56lbs including gun. I know some guys run a much heavier pack but I’m having a tough time making the par time thus far. I might add some stuff back later if I can easily hit the par time with a lighter pack. For reference, I live and work here at Fort Gordon so I’m practicing in roughly the same terrain/conditions as the comp is held in.

Things I ditched in the name of weight savings: the tripod, switch rifle and pistol (both to lighter versions), switched to a smaller lighter pack, switched to aluminum cased pistol ammo (found that little trick here), ditched a few articles of clothing, ditched the bivvy bag, stripped my food down (I’m using MREs so in essence I just took out the food I don’t like and redundant utensils) and replaced some items with dehydrated peanut butter, maybe a few other things but I can’t think of them at the moment.

Reactions: Austinjunks
I’ll work on a write up of everything I’m bringing with associated weights so maybe some folks can give some feedback, if they’d be so kind.

When I first packed a ruck to start training pack was just under 56lbs including gun. I know some guys run a much heavier pack but I’m having a tough time making the par time thus far. I might add some stuff back later if I can easily hit the par time with a lighter pack. For reference, I live and work here at Fort Gordon so I’m practicing in roughly the same terrain/conditions as the comp is held in.

Things I ditched in the name of weight savings: the tripod, switch rifle and pistol (both to lighter versions), switched to a smaller lighter pack, switched to aluminum cased pistol ammo (found that little trick here), ditched a few articles of clothing, ditched the bivvy bag, stripped my food down (I’m using MREs so in essence I just took out the food I don’t like and redundant utensils) and replaced some items with dehydrated peanut butter, maybe a few other things but I can’t think of them at the moment.

I train most of the year with my pack at aprx 25 lbs, then about 2 months out start adding more weight. Work on better times with lighter weight. Using a boxing timer for work/rest rotations will help with pacing. I started with 1 min work 1.5 min rest, then worked to 2 min work .5 min rest. MRE's are heavy due to water content, look at backpackers pantry and mountain house dehydrated meals.

Something that might help is to build out a spreadsheet of every item you can individually weigh. Then work on what else you can shave off... mostly dependent on how handy you are and how much you want to spend.

Another thing for everyone else to consider, dehydrated food/prepper type stuff has been in high demand. Might want to consider getting your menu ironed out now instead of waiting and a lot of stuff being out of stock as the match gets closer.

Question for the mammoth veterans...
If using an AR in 223 for the secondary rifle...what scope would be your first choice?
One of my priorities is keeping weight down and I’m thinking 3-15 power?? I imagine some will say that is overpowered...
Any experienced opinions are welcome. Different options at different price points are encouraged as well.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Austinjunks
If using an AR in 223 for the secondary rifle...what scope would be your first choice?
One of my priorities is keeping weight down and I’m thinking 3-15 power?? I imagine some will say that is overpowered...
Any experienced opinions are welcome. Different options at different price points are encouraged as well.

Thanks in advance

We ran 223 ar platforms in primary and secondary, a bit under gunned. Scopes were 3-15 and 4.5-30, most of our shooting was in the 8x range.

And I’ll piggyback on this by adding, do y’all think illumination is necessary?

No

Thanks in advance

3-15 is definitely not overpowered. Remember, this is a shooting competition, and last year the secondary engaged targets past 800 yards (IIRC). It's always nice to have the power and not need it, versus the opposite. And no, illumination is not needed. Everything was shot during the day and light was not an issue.

My secondary ran a ar15 with 69gr at 2670 using an swfa 3-15. Magnification wasn't an issue. For the ar15 shoot as heavy and as fast as possible. That'll make a difference you can actually see

@RogueTanker how did the secondary fare? Is it safe to assume the individual was using a 16 inch gun? I'm about to go to the range and test a 69gn load as that's all I could manage to get in bulk as of late and I didn't have any precision stuff for 5.56 stocked up as I don't normally shoot 5.56 for precision work.

23 Weeks until Mammoth, BTW

@RogueTanker how did the secondary fare? Is it safe to assume the individual was using a 16 inch gun? I'm about to go to the range and test a 69gn load as that's all I could manage to get in bulk as of late and I didn't have any precision stuff for 5.56 stocked up as I don't normally shoot 5.56 for precision work.

23 Weeks until Mammoth, BTW

20" actually, just very slow factory ammo. As long as there isn't wind, you'll do great. And last year there wasn't any wind. My partner is running a bolt gun this time with 75s at 3k. Should do a lot better if there is wind.

Reactions: sleeplz
Yeah. I live here and wind over 10 mph is rare and over 5 mph is uncommon, especially in winter. Rain though, that's almost guaranteed . That being said, seems almost any time I go on Ft. Gordon to zero and confirm dope on a rifle, the wind kicks up to record breaking speeds haha.

For those who have gone to Mammoth more than once, how many stages did you have to shoot unsupported/offhand? Is it a consistent amount year to year?

Last two years the stages were pretty much the same. Iirc, there was only one stage that was offhand. You'll need to know how-to range a target and shoot at a 90° angle and off your partners shoulder

You guys that shot mammoth last year can you tell me how long it took, on average, for your squad to shoot a stage? In other words, how much time did you have between rucks?

thanks

You guys that shot mammoth last year can you tell me how long it took, on average, for your squad to shoot a stage? In other words, how much time did you have between rucks?

thanks

About 90-120 min. Plenty of time to rest up and eat something. And if you're the first squad to shoot, you had about 10-15 min to prep once everyone arrived.

Reactions: Hawkeyemm
About 90-120 min. Plenty of time to rest up and eat something. And if you're the first squad to shoot, you had about 10-15 min to prep once everyone arrived.
How many stages did you shoot each day ?

3-15 is definitely not overpowered. Remember, this is a shooting competition, and last year the secondary engaged targets past 800 yards (IIRC). It's always nice to have the power and not need it, versus the opposite. And no, illumination is not needed. Everything was shot during the day and light was not an issue.
What scope did you use ?

Our team was forced to withdraw from Mammoth 2021 since my teammate is from Poland and will not be able to make it to US due to COVID. Due to that unique situation, we were allowed to transfer our spot to another team. Keep in mind that you still have to pay a 200 USD initial fees and 700 USD final fee. First come first serve.

Last year it was $700 per team total. $200 deposit, then $500 final payment.

Can you still register for this? I'm a bit confused as to why the registration deadline is November, but there's no registration page...

Question on pistols, can I toss on a paddle holster pre stage and carry pistol that way? Or does the pistol remain on your belt/pack?

Question on pistols, can I toss on a paddle holster pre stage and carry pistol that way? Or does the pistol remain on your belt/pack?

I was curious about this too. Do they usually send out gear requirements when we get closer to the event date?

Last year in my squad everyone packed it away at the end of the stage and pulled it out at the next.

Everyone just put it back in their bags between events. You still need a holster though. Paddle would be convenient.