• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth sniper II

Arrr Emm

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Virginia
Hey. Anyone competing in upcoming main Mammoth or Mammoth II? I’m doing Mammoth II and trying to figure out. AB Vortex Bions with Kestrel or Impact 4000 and Kestrel if I need it.

I can’t think of any circumstances where I would bring Gore-Tex boots to Mammoth. I’m not saying they don’t have their place anywhere, but I prefer a very light low top trail running shoe. Check out the Mammoth 2021 thread for a discussion on shoes.

Reactions: tyrider427
I can’t think of any circumstances where I would bring Gore-Tex boots to Mammoth. I’m not saying they don’t have their place anywhere, but I prefer a very light low top trail running shoe. Check out the Mammoth 2021 thread for a discussion on shoes.
How does it feel with the running shoes carrying around the weight? Always done rucks with issued style boots, but real interested in some TOPO trail runners

How does it feel with the running shoes carrying around the weight? Always done rucks with issued style boots, but real interested in some TOPO trail runners
It's honestly never been an issue with me at all - and I'm not a small guy. Me and my gear exceed 300#, and I can't say I've seen any downside at all when it comes to "not being able to carry the weight". Just my $0.02.

Reactions: j-moose32
I also use low top trail running shoes. Did a lot of trial and error years back when I got into my first mammoth. Regular boots gave me nasty blisters and high tops weren’t very comfortable either. I ended up with low top trail running shoes, dr scholls inserts and darn tough wool socks. In 3 mammoths thus far, not a single blister. Will be at mammoth II in a few weeks running the same as well.

I also use low top trail running shoes. Did a lot of trial and error years back when I got into my first mammoth. Regular boots gave me nasty blisters and high tops weren’t very comfortable either. I ended up with low top trail running shoes, dr scholls inserts and darn tough wool socks. In 3 mammoths thus far, not a single blister. Will be at mammoth II in a few weeks running the same as well.
I may try the trail runners out, thanks for the input

I may try the trail runners out, thanks for the input
If you are new to the whole concept, the trick is all in conditioning your feet.

Human feet and ankles have a lot of tendons that can strengthen dramatically based on training stimulus. It's easy to read stuff on the internet and not quite understand the reality of it.

Trail runners are great if you have strong feet, and quality shoes.

There abosolutely people who end up with wrecked feet using trail runners. see, eg

Reactions: j-moose32
If you are new to the whole concept, the trick is all in conditioning your feet.

Human feet and ankles have a lot of tendons that can strengthen dramatically based on training stimulus. It's easy to read stuff on the internet and not quite understand the reality of it.

Trail runners are great if you have strong feet, and quality shoes.

There abosolutely people who end up with wrecked feet using trail runners. see, eg
Ive got a lot of miles on my feet in regular running shoes (roughly 15-20 miles a week on average) and with regular issued style boots. Hopefully there isn't much of a transition period for me, cuz ill probably go full send if I like these TOPO shoes ha.

I’m out there this week, the Spring time here can have a bit of rain. I’d plan on navigating a bit of mud and the seasonal creeks do have water in them right now.