• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Man arrested for open carry in CO

TLong

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
www.1042blue.wixsite.com
I just saw this story. A man was in a theater in CO, carrying a pistol in a holster, and was arrested. I agree that it may not be the smartest move on his part in light of recent events, but I don't fault him for carrying. Anyone in or around Thorton able to share what the concealed carry or open carry law is?
LINK

Re: Man arrested for open carry in CO

Stupid is as stupid does. He knew what he was doing but wanted to push the envelope to make his "statement".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stupid is as stupid does. He knew what he was doing but wanted to push the envelope to make his <span style="font-weight: bold">"statement"</span>. </div></div>

As in his rights? I understand what you'e getting at though. Too soon? Probably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
LINK </div></div>

Holy shit is there ever a lot of stuff wrong in that article. Bad reporting as usual.

First off, any country can issue you a CCW and with that it's good anywhere in the state, not just the specific county. CO is an open carry state as well as a CCW state so I don't know what grounds they had to arrest him but more than likely whatever theater he was in posted that they didn't allow guns which is one of the very few exceptions to being able to carry CCW i.e. it's a private business and they posted an anti-gun sign. The article is totally wrong.

Binder, thanks for shedding light and clarifying for us. The media getting something wrong, I expect nothing less of them.

Shank,

Yes too soon. I'm thinking he knew that going in but just didn't care as long as he got his 15 mins.

Yes, he should have become a defenseless victim out of respect for people who died because they weren't doing what he did...... The problem here is that someone called the police on a law-abiding citizen. I don't know about CO, but in AL the manager can ask you to leave. If you don't, they can trespass you. If that is what happened in this case, then I'm fine with that. If not, someone should have been arrested for providing a false report or something of the like. Someone died in a car wreck today. All of you inconsiderate fucks that drove to work have no tact at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone died in a car wreck today. All of you inconsiderate fucks that drove to work have no tact at all.</div></div>

Not sure if this is a shot at me for my above post... If not please disregard!

But here is a link to the definition of "Tact"
Websters Definition
Please pay attention to number 2.

Also:
"skill and grace in dealing with others."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">asking to search bags at the theaters here.

Not following NRS. </div></div>

Damn... You now they just wanna bust you for sneakin in soda and twizzlers!!!

Ok?

Man with gun/car offended others because carried/drove a gun/car in a theater/street where someone was killed by a man with a gun/car.

While I appreciate your willingness to educate the masses in the ways of grammar, I don't really understand why you chose to only provide a definition for the word tact......

My statement was not a "shot" at you. I was making a meager attempt to illustrate the lunacy of crying wolf when a sheep dog enters the field. Also, I intended to hint at the lack of perspective that is maintained by the media and participants of this thread. It is not the outcome of a situation that anyone is concerned with here. It is the social stigma that has recently been attached to a gun and theater that caused alarm. In fact it is a stigma that has very little reason for existence in the grand scheme of things. The socratic irony is that the media is able to twist your mind into perceiving this man as a menace, lacking compassion, rather than the informed individual that you likely would have considered him a month ago.

Whatever...

That guy is a troll, trolling for a confrontation... Probably one of those guys that says "fuckin A right man", when they see vids of those guys who act like dickheads when talking to cops about 2A rights...

It can be done without being a troll or an asshole... which we all know thats what the media focuses on, ie: bad look for gun supporters!

If its legal, tuck your shit and just know that you're doing your part. But don't expect the masses who are still scared sheep from a mass shooting a lil over 1 week ago, to be silent when they see a guy with a gun in the theater!

My apologies, I was not aware that you knew him and had more information than I did about his intent. His statements that were quoted in the article seemed to convey his intent to be going to a theater and watching a movie. Exactly which of his actions strayed from your idea of "it can be done without being a troll or an asshole"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly which of his actions strayed from your idea of "it can be done without being a troll or an asshole"?</div></div>

Uhhhhhhh... Walking randomly into a movie theater with a gun visible a week after the countries worst mass shooting (only a few miles away), is as insensitive and "troll" like shit I can think of!!!

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!"

If you agree or disagree, you can PM me... I'm done arguing sensibilty and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Tact</span></span></span> on this thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Uhhhhhhh... Walking randomly into a movie theater with a gun visible a week after the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">countries</span></span></span> worst mass shooting (only a few miles away), is as insensitive and "troll" like shit I can think of!!!

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!"

If you agree or disagree, you can PM me... I'm done arguing sensibilty and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="color: #FF0000">Tact</span></span></span> on this thread </div></div>

You ready to step up to plural vs. possessive nouns?
http://www.meredith.edu/grammar/plural.htm

lol, I went through all my posts on this thread, and was like "what?" (before the edit)

But hey, we're presumably both on the same side (Pro 2A), all I'm saying is, now is a really sensitive time in America... even with all the "Pussification" we have, its just uncalled for IMHO.

What I think is uncalled for is the abuse of the first amendment by the liberal press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">lol, I went through all my posts on this thread, and was like "what?" (before the edit)

But hey, we're presumably both on the same side (Pro 2A), all I'm saying is, now is a really sensitive time in America... even with all the "Pussification" we have, its just uncalled for IMHO.

</div></div>

Well, my cure for the plague of pussies is to curb stomp them until they are tough or go away. Either way, their septic nature will cease to be an issue. A sucking chest wound takes priority over emotional wounds every time. I'm too far behind schedule to spend time dying while someone comes to terms with their popcorn induced osmophobia.

Well in other respects, its my right to dress up as The Joker and go see The Dark Knight, which is still in theaters. Much like the guy in the article, I am harming no one. Would anyone here care to enlighten me if behavior like that is appropriate with what happened a week an a half ago? Yes, there are your rights, but come on, time and place do have some meaning. I know the "It his right and you cant do anything about it" crowd is gonna get sand in their vaginas because they are gonna get the impression that I want to restrict this man's right, well I dont, and that has nothing to do with it. But I do think that some people need to practice a little self restrain. If he had a CC permit, why didnt he just CC and avoid attention. I really dont want to think that this guy is THAT stupid, nor would I think that someone who is pro-gun/carry would honestly think this was a good idea.

Oh, as far as the law. I have no idea what the law says in Co. Nevada is an OC/CC state as well. But that is the state. Some local juristictions, like N. LV, have ordinances restricting OC, but are ok with CC. Buisnesses also have the right to refuse entrance to a person with a weapon. So if this arrest has no merit, and not crime was commited, well, then I hope he has a settlement coming to him.

I know a lot of folks that ignore buisnesses that request that no weapons be allowed. You know what they do? They dont make it OBVIOUS. Thus allowing them to still have the ability to defend themselves AND not INTENTIONALLY trying to draw attention. Its bad enough that the 2A is back in the spotlight, those wishing to get it out of the crosshairs really should use common sense, and not try to make a statement, at least not like this.

Fact of the matter, the guy is a jackass.
there are many concieled carry permit holders who carry every day. (including myself).
When I do carry, no matter where it is, I carry for the safety of myself & my family. My piece is tucked away out of site but on hand when needed. It has become a wardrobe piece that is as common place as a belt & socks. Concielment makes it hide, practice makes it practical.
I don't go to bars, so that's not an issue.
I don't carry in govt buildings where it is expressly prohibited. But, if I go to downtown Atlanta, to a theater, to a resteraunt, to the zoo, etc... you better believe it's on me.
I'm not advertising for trouble. No one sees it & no one is the wiser.
But if a monkey throws shit through the fence & it hits the fan (figuratively speaking of course), you better belive I have full intention of coming out of it alive.

While I agree with most of your points Mr. Rat, the Joker costume analogy doesn't really fit. The man carries a weapon to defend his life. A "man" wears a Joker costume to........ I'm not sure on that one, but it doesn't defend his life. Taking others into consideration is something we have to do in order to operate in a society. Sometimes sacrificing your rights is a fair trade for a peaceful environment. However, sacrificing your right to live in order to pacify ignorance is not in my mind a fair deal. I'm willing to give up a lot of things to avoid interaction with stupid people. My life is not one of them.

Just to clear things up, I'm an advocate of concealed carry and think open carry is dumb as hell. However, according to the article (all I have to go on) the guy thought that he was not allowed to carry concealed legally. Whether this is fact or not I do not know. If it is fact, then the law is to blame here. If it is not the case, shame on him for not being educated. However, his lack of education still would not implicate him of any wrong doings.

Guys like this clown are all about their rights and how they should be free to exercise their rights. Has anyone stopped to think that maybe he DIDN'T have a right to carry in the movie theater? It is an establishment that is private property and as such they can bar you from entering with a weapon.

I'm sure that he knew that but just didn't care because to people like that, the only rights that matter are their own.

+1000 on Steelmans post. Keep the shit tucked away, be discreet and carry on with your business. Not only will you save yourself some headache but you will retain a tactical advantage by having your shit concealed.

In my opinion (which means nothing), guys that open carry are just screaming for attention and looking for the "wow" factor.

Slappy, are you reading something that I missed? If not, you are making a lot of assumptions based merely on experiences you've had with open carriers in your environment. It's a safe bet that your environment differs a bit from the one in this article. In some places it is not a big deal to open carry. That is not the case on youtube and in New York.

Well maybe I'm right or maybe I'm not. If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the fist time. But something tells me that this guy is an attention whore. "Look at meeee, I have a gun. How cool am I?"

But apparently it WAS a big deal to open carry in THAT movie theater at THAT particular time.

One was arrested near me awhile back. They had him behind bars before the DA found out.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Long short, if your going to enforce the law at least know it where you want to apply it.</span> The DA gave the <span style="font-weight: bold">"Perp"</span> everything he wanted to keep the city from being sued. Laws in some places don't extend to others, no matter who the head Jackoff is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I agree with most of your points Mr. Rat, the Joker costume analogy doesn't really fit. The man carries a weapon to defend his life. A "man" wears a Joker costume to........ I'm not sure on that one, but it doesn't defend his life. Taking others into consideration is something we have to do in order to operate in a society. Sometimes sacrificing your rights is a fair trade for a peaceful environment. However, sacrificing your right to live in order to pacify ignorance is not in my mind a fair deal. I'm willing to give up a lot of things to avoid interaction with stupid people. My life is not one of them.

Just to clear things up, I'm an advocate of concealed carry and think open carry is dumb as hell. However, according to the article (all I have to go on) the guy thought that he was not allowed to carry concealed legally. Whether this is fact or not I do not know. If it is fact, then the law is to blame here. If it is not the case, shame on him for not being educated. However, his lack of education still would not implicate him of any wrong doings.</div></div>

Sacrificing your right for social peace is not what I was trying to get at. I dont know if this guy didnt know his rights, or if the cops dont know the laws, but the point to be made is about good judgement. Not civil rights. Thats the whole Joker costume comparison. Civil rights are no excuse for bad judgement and pouring salt into a (very) fresh wound. The 1st Amendment is similar where time, place and judgment can have an impact on those choosing to exercise it. If OC is something I absolutely HAVE to do, and refuse/can't CC, well perhaps I can wait for The Watch to come out on DVD.

Like I have said before, just because its your right, doesnt meant YOUR right.

I could buy into that if it was a two way street. It seems that in this case only one woman was concerned with the guy. If she wasn't comfortable being there she could leave just as easy as he could... As a social minority we gun-toting hillbillies have been trained to always be on the defensive and to surrender to the idiots screaming "gun" in a theater when we offer no threat. We do so in fear of crossing anyone in the least bit and being labeled as a crazed gunman on the verge of a massacre. As long as we sit back and let them walk all over us, the regulations and restrictions will get tighter and tighter. If we don't change the stigma, it will become reality. They'll carry their fear from the theaters, to the streets, into our vehicles, onto our lawns, and into our homes. Those officers showing up and arresting the man instilled an idea in the minds of those patrons, that he did something wrong and that authorities needed to apprehend him. They will not attend the hearing where the charges are dropped. They will most likely not participate in the law suit that may follow. All they will ever know is that the man with the gun should have been arrested. This is a problem and it is spreading like wildfire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">asking to search bags at the theaters here.

Damn... You now they just wanna bust you for sneakin in soda and twizzlers!!! </div></div>

Question is ....

Do you submit to it? Some teenager who has no idea what he is doing. No idea of the law. The manager has no idea of the law. And they want to search me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">asking to search bags at the theaters here.

Damn... You now they just wanna bust you for sneakin in soda and twizzlers!!! </div></div>

Question is ....

Do you submit to it? Some teenager who has no idea what he is doing. No idea of the law. The manager has no idea of the law. And they want to search me? </div></div>
I vote with my money an feet, as well as the ballet box. The money they all understand w/o question.
If I have to pay more at any store that openly advocates CCW I do. Policy's can and have been changed when income drops. Some States are finding that out as well,...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Question is ....

Do you submit to it? Some teenager who has no idea what he is doing. No idea of the law. The manager has no idea of the law. And they want to search me? </div></div>

Of course not. Walk away. Don't patronize the establishment. Tell all your friends not to patronize them as well. Get the word out as much as you can. With social media being so big these days you can start a campaign and pretty much cripple the business. Once it starts hurting them in the pocket, they'll get the message.

#1- If a man chooses to exercise his rights, NO ONE here should be calling him names or otherwise. Rights not used become privilege, erroneously. CO is an open-carry state, aside from Denver and other cities which violate state law.

#2- The theatre apparently didn't call, but some dumb yuppie bitch, who also stuck around. Did she feel threatened? Apparently not. Basically, harassment.

#3- Get your heads out of your asses. Open carry is perfectly legal, and nothing (read: NOTHING, YOU RETARDS) is wrong with it. I carry open all the time. My roommate carries open and he's a CCW instructor. A few of the CCW instructors I know carry open more than not.

Oh Noez! People exercising a right and getting harassed for it...

You naysayers are perpetuating a problem, and siding with what amounts to the enemies of YOUR RIGHTS.

Quit siding with the enemy, or continue being retarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Uhhhhhhh... Walking randomly into a movie theater with a gun visible a week after the countries worst mass shooting (only a few miles away), is as insensitive and "troll" like shit I can think of!!!
</div></div>
Just a factual point: not the country's worst mass shooting.
Please continue.

2 things...

1. You can't get arrested for simply carrying concealed or open into a private establishment which would normally fall within the guidelines of carrying just because it's posted no weapons unless the laws of that State prohibit such action. All they can do is trespass you from the property and arrest you only if you refuse to leave.

2. A private business can only search your personal belongings if consent is given. I don't know about every State, but here in Washington NO private business is allowed to search a persons other than with a wand or a pat down. And reaching into pockets or bags is illegal and beyond even authority extended to a private establishment. IE, if you reach into my wife's purse I'll own your Movie theater...

How does that work for concerts or professional sporting events Broker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does that work for concerts or professional sporting events Broker? </div></div>

How does what work?

Concerts and amusement parks I've been too you either get wanded or have to walk through a metal detector. Similar to the ones in airports. Of course you can always refuse to a search but then you're not getting into the event.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Concerts and amusement parks I've been too you either get wanded or have to walk through a metal detector. Similar to the ones in airports. Of course you can always refuse to a search but then you're not getting into the event. </div></div>

True but there is just about always a sign prior to the "search tent" as well as its in the fine print of the disclosures when you purchase the tickets online that state no weapons or other contraband items.

Wife and I went and saw DKR and they asked her to open her bag, didnt say squat to me and I did have a concealed pistol. No new signs posted (I checked on my way out).

I fully get why they are doing it but its a half assed attempt to make folks feel all warm and fuzzy. If a person with the intent to go nuts is asked to open his/her bag coat etc, the only outcome will be the person checking bags will be the first victim. To make the scenario even more silly the "checkpoint" was well within the theater rather than at the entry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I fully get why they are doing it but its a half assed attempt to make folks feel all warm and fuzzy.</div></div>

All security (such as the TSA) is just that ^^ Security theater to make people feel safe. Somebody who really wats to is going to cause havoc be it with a gun, a bomb, even a bow and arrow, or a hand-full of sharp pencils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
True but there is just about always a sign prior to the "search tent" as well as its in the fine print of the disclosures when you purchase the tickets online that state no weapons or other contraband items.

Wife and I went and saw DKR and they asked her to open her bag, didnt say squat to me and I did have a concealed pistol. No new signs posted (I checked on my way out).

I fully get why they are doing it but its a half assed attempt to make folks feel all warm and fuzzy. If a person with the intent to go nuts is asked to open his/her bag coat etc, the only outcome will be the person checking bags will be the first victim. To make the scenario even more silly the "checkpoint" was well within the theater rather than at the entry. </div></div>

Exactly. They can ask you to open your bag/purse/etc, but they can NOT reach into the item. Only LEO in this state have the right to a search and must have probable cause or a warrant. And if you pat someone down you can NOT have them stand against a wall with their hands on the wall while doing so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem here is that someone called the police on a law-abiding citizen.</div></div>

Naaa, the problem, as some others have stated, was that the law-abiding citizen thought the theater was a good forum to make a political statement. The guy probably hadnt open carried in years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All security (such as the TSA) is just that ^^ Security theater to make people feel safe. Somebody who really wats to is going to cause havoc be it with a gun, a bomb, even a bow and arrow, or a hand-full of sharp pencils. </div></div>

110% agree. As a society Americans do not take well to being inconvenienced, fly into Israel to see real airport security. How would ticket sales fare if theaters implemented sensible security measures?

Are you guys reading the article?

"Mapes has lived in the area for nine years and said that he's seen movies in the theater before when he's carried a handgun both concealed and openly visible. He is simply practicing the right to bear arms, he said. He added that he has held a concealed carry permit issued by the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office since 2003, although the Thornton movie theater doesn't reside in Arapahoe County, so the permit doesn't help his case. Thornton is an open-carry municipality, meaning that there are specific exceptions to the above section of the Municipal Code."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does that work for concerts or professional sporting events Broker? </div></div>

How does what work?</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if consent is given. I don't know about every State, but here in Washington NO private business is allowed to search a persons other than with a wand or a pat down. And reaching into pockets or bags is illegal and beyond even authority extended to a private establishment. IE, if you reach into my wife's purse I'll own your Movie theater... </div></div>
I have seen more than one bag searched physically at those types of events with no attempt to secure consent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Concerts and amusement parks I've been too you either get wanded or have to walk through a metal detector. Similar to the ones in airports. Of course you can always refuse to a search but then you're not getting into the event. </div></div>
Not too worried about concerts & amusement parks.
Security is pretty tight there anyway.
Sometimes tighter than state courtrooms.
I'm just sayin, when I do carry I don't give a flip what sign is on the door.
(with the exceptions previously mentioned)
Joe Blow isn't going to know it & I'm not going to be flashing it.
But if crap goes down, Jackass business owner better give me a free beer for saving his sorry ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you guys reading the article?

"He is simply practicing the right to bear arms, he said." </div></div>

ie, making a political statement...

What would be a better reason to give for carrying when you're being arrested?