• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Man Camp Axis pics

MikeeBooshay

Recoil Sponge
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Houston TX and Hackberry LA
With the interest in the axis in the other thread, I'll share a few pics from the ranch.
CDY_0039.jpg

CDY_0142.jpg

CDY_0080.jpg

CDY_0079.jpg

Also have a few of.. uh.. other stuff around....

CDY_0039-1.jpg

Hardest thing these days is finding the time to be there enough to enjoy it.

Had a feeder invaded by a racoon this last weekend. We were picking up a buddy from a blind ( missed an axis - go figure !!) saw the coon run INTO the feeder and hide. Came back with the buddy, opened the feeder and saw he beady-eyed lil bandit. One buddy, now-after ( for reasons to be clear ) referred to as "Rocky", shoots the coon in the feeder.... three times.... and misses...

While pondering his next move, and advancing on the feeder, the racoon comes out in a 10 foot long Superman man leap... right at the guy with the rifle! ROcky unleashes a full AR mag at the coon, from ranges of 2 ft, to 20 yards.... all misses. Had one shell left in the AR, we gave him crap for that " saved one for yourself.. in case the coon comes back?", "hit anything other than the bottle lately?".

It WAS pretty funny, watching him dodge the coon, not drop his smoke, or his whiskey drink, and burn a whole mag of misses. If I had video... he'd be on youtube today....

Re: Man Camp Axis pics

Is that sheep in the last picture an Iranian red?

The two sheep are essentially the same, just different geographic location origins. I bet if it's a "Red", it's a cross. Pure Iranian red are very expensive.

He looks like he could use another year or two before harvest.

He is a cross. The Iranian red sheep is a genetic mutation of the Armenian, they are related, one has the saddle, one has much less of it. One has the horns usually curled behind the neck, the other more forward. This is the offspring of a batch of red's that got under the high fence into this pasture ( which is low fence, although high fence ranch on 3 sides ).

He is free range however, and enough of a red to qualify in the book. Few, very few, free range reds in the world to hunt, I'm lucky to have a few. Most are on high fence ranches for high $$$. I'm not a sheep fanatic, but some guys loose their minds over these. They usually hunt hard for them, don't see any, I rarely hunt them and see them all the time. For sure, they know that the Kawasaki Mule = Death Wagon, and run like hell from it!!!

Aoudad..... not so smart!!! Trying to eliminate them, may use the helicopter next we have it out. Same for Fallow and Sika, useless critters.

Mikee, dead on about your definition of red and Armenian. However SCI only recognizes, Red sheep on Clayton Williams ranch as free range herd. All others are Armenian if they go into record book as free range...

Who makes that feeder? It seems like we are replacing some barrel feeder every year.

Lamco makes that feeder - I think they are out of El Campo TX. If you are in TX, and buy a truckload of eight, they will deliver them all assembled, and throw the frieght in for free. I like the feeders, pretty rugged and other than the occasional squirrel chewing the wires, reliable.

+1 for the Lamco feeders they are "bullet prof", for a mechanical dispensed feeder they are as good as it gets. I like free choice/gravity feed for protein better.

We got them in order to get feed off the ground, to minimize Anthrax should the conditions occur to cause an outbreak.

Fortunately we have not had this happen on our ranch in quite some time.

Keith, there is another good reason for getting the feed off the ground, it helps their teeth last longer.

We have one old breeder buck, twelve years old, that has killed a deer each of the last two years. Raised in the pen until age five, then out in the pasture, still high fenced. Eats almost every day out of the feeders, due to habit. His teeth are still pretty good as well as his rack. I'll try to find a recent pic of him. I am convinced that not eating off the ground has made a differnce for this old guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamco makes that feeder - I think they are out of El Campo TX. If you are in TX, and buy a truckload of eight, they will deliver them all assembled, and throw the frieght in for free. I like the feeders, pretty rugged and other than the occasional squirrel chewing the wires, reliable. </div></div>El Campo is a very doable drive from Houston, the free delivery is a big plus.