• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Man strangled coyote to death

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Lol

9A3ACC06-DD65-47EC-9831-A4E626D28DDA.png
    A9E3FE9C-B8CD-47F0-B4D1-D8CE3818168D.png

I feel like I’m seeing a lot of coyote attacks on humans in the last few months. Just saw this one last night. Coyote attacked a cop on a busy highway with multiple vehicles and people around.

Definitely city cops. One says it was possibly a wolf. Lol.

I see coyotes on a regular basis. Never saw more than two at once..and two is a rarity.

Reactions: TACC
    I feel like I’m seeing a lot of coyote attacks on humans in the last few months. Just saw this one last night. Coyote attacked a cop on a busy highway with multiple vehicles and people around.

There was another one that happened in an urban area of a town a week or so before these, multiple people attacked as I recall. Saw it on national news.

Edit: Ah, here it is, Chicago 09 JAN:

I see coyotes on a regular basis. Never saw more than two at once..and two is a rarity.
    I usually only see single coyotes during the day. At night sometimes up to six together. One night my dog was going nuts and I found four yotes eating a wounded white tail doe alive. She must have been hit by a car and the yotes had her pinned against the chain link fence and were working her over pretty good. It turned out to be a costly meal for a couple of them.

What worries me, are the cougars and wolves. They're getting bolder every year. A big cat grabbed a little dog right from the backyard of a neighbor and a couple of years ago, one jumped a backyard fence while a woman was working in her yard. Fortunately, her husband had a rifle close at hand.

Probably the same type of dumbasses up north in my state who feed black bears and then wonder why they're invading their trashcans and backyard fish ponds. I get that some people may think wild animals are cute and all, but they're WILD ANIMALS! DON'T FEED THEM!

Take note yall. I aint a biologist or anything of the sort, but just in my limited experience canine-like animals dont respond like humans do to being choked out. It kills em easy. I wouldnt be surprised at all if its the same for felines. So if you gotta big dog and it gets outta control on you be reallll careful about choking it if you dont wanna kill the thing. And no Ive never had to choke out any of my kin, just observation Ive made over the years. Something about animals like that makes em very susceptible to dying way faster than you'd think when you slap on a RNC that'd be otherwise harmless on a human..

Like @MtnCreek said.. probably rabid. Tho Ive had a non-rabid yote lure one of my 90 lb labs into the bushes and jump on her, guess that was my damned great grand uncle, Wiley E. He earned the name for a reason

Thanks! I was looking for that article
    Buddy told me about it.
    I ran a business about 10 miles east of there, backed up to interstate 70 we had a den of yotes couldn't shoot them too close to the interstate.
    And they didn't give a shit if you seen them day or night.
    And for the record I've never seen a wolf in that area.
    Nor would I use that to tase one,
    I prefer caliber to voltage (sofar)
    Unless they come up with a magnum version with long range capabilities.

Coyotes are around my house regularly. We frequently hear them howling and see them across the street and in the open area next to my house. I have both a green belt behind the house, and am next to a wetland reserve where even decaying trees can't be cut without special permission from the county. They want the decaying trees to serve as homes, food, and things that make the environment more friendly to wildlife.

I enjoy the wildlife, but do have to be careful that my little 10 pound terrier mix doesn't wind up as a meal for a coyote, bald eagle, barred owl, red tailed hawk, or some similar critter. I have deer eating out of my gardens on a regular basis... I understand coyotes have to eat too, but if they begin to be more than a passing nuisance to my dog or family, they will be "dealt with". So far, the coyotes are frightened enough of humans that a flashlight will chase them away. Strobe functions work really well so far.

If necessary, the coyotes will be "dealt with", but until then as long as they stay in their corner of the world, I'll leave them alone.

I had one in the yard last week. I've had the camera up for a year and this is the 1st one. We're in town and I can't get a safe shot. That sucks cause I want to kill it.

82465887_10219732003597991_5215014793349431296_o.jpg

Cain said the series of attacks began during the morning commute when the coyote, traveling by itself, was first encountered by a motorist.

I usually only see single coyotes during the day. At night sometimes up to six together. One night my dog was going nuts and I found four yotes eating a wounded white tail doe alive. She must have been hit by a car and the yotes had her pinned against the chain link fence and were working her over pretty good. It turned out to be a costly meal for a couple of them.

What worries me, are the cougars and wolves. They're getting bolder every year. A big cat grabbed a little dog right from the backyard of a neighbor and a couple of years ago, one jumped a backyard fence while a woman was working in her yard. Fortunately, her husband had a rifle close at hand.

I rarely see them during daylight hours....and those are usually roadkill.

Bet he wished he had a firearm, or at least a sharp knife to deploy. Good on him tho. Mac

Very inspirational story indeed. The ideal of the father as the family's protector will never be eroded from our society...

I ALWAYS have a combat knife on me, except in a court house. I might carry my gun only 98% of the time, but I always have a knife ready to be deployed at a split second's notice. This man has learned how important it is to be armed. Hope he never forgets it again.

Just a bit of helpful info. here. IF you ever get into a situation, I.E. bitten, and if it's one of your hands and the dog, coyote, canine, has ahold of you and you CAN NOT get your hand(s) free, you should grab that lower jaw as hard as you can, with all the strength you can muster, because that's we're the power of the bite comes from, the lower jaw, and twist like hell. The animal will be in pain and will want to let go of you, HOPEFULLY. This also will allow you to have SOME control of the situation. I have raised/trained Rotts and G.S. in my time and have used this technique a few times. Did I feel pain and get a little bloody, heck yeah. Mac

Last edited:
    My not hold true for rabid animals, but everything I've ever jabbed a finger/thumb into its eye let go.

Reactions: BullGear
    Man, that coyote must have been desperately hungry to get that close. I remember getting off the car to chase one in a neighborhood that was in really close proximity when I was much younger. I can't say I was ever close to even kicking it though, he bursted out real fast.

And Yeah, it does seem like coyotes have started to try out the city life. I remember seeing two in one night inside corpus christi city limits.

I had one in the yard last week. I've had the camera up for a year and this is the 1st one. We're in town and I can't get a safe shot. That sucks cause I want to kill it.

View attachment 7230976
    We coyotes are quite damn elusive(tho dumb at times eg check my username)... At least me and my kin in the South Ga area, idk bout other places..
    If you REALLY wanna get that yote or and other really elusive stuffs.. USE A TRAP. Maybe Im just been got too cityfied livin up here in ATL for college, but Ive only shot ONE yote in past few years now.. or maybe its my dang pap takin all the fun for himself so that I aint got nothin to do but help with car work when I go back down to visit LOL. Anywho, just a friendly tip... traps are 100000x more effective, at least in deep thick nasty brush. Maybe its different out on the open plains/prairies whatever yall midwestern dudes call it...

And if you wanna catch the smaller stuff.. possums, squirrels, and gray foxes and other little fun critters, peanut butter works wonders. I remember being so proud catching my first fox! Cause you know the reputation "smart as a fox" .. "elusive as a fox".. etc and I got one!!! With peanut butter and a cage trap! He was a big healthy mean bastard too! Was all the more special cause I set everything up myself and when my pap saw he was genuinely a little bit proud :) "Nice, now go finish that homework I saw ya had left" hahaa

ETA: Was just thinking about behavior of trapped animals... and I mean obviously they're all every single one of em riled up as can be(I once saw a squirrel literally run and ram its head into the fence/wall of my cage trap over and over until it killed itself tryna get out, not even joking).. but by far the most the most ornery bastard Ive ever seen BY FAR when trapped was a otter(our/my pap's house sits in front a 14 acre lake). HOLY SHIT! I'd put the amount of fight in that otter up there with any cornered hog or the gamest of game hog dogs. Damn it I wish we'd a video'd that SOB! Almost kinda unnerving how tenacious as all get out that thing was

Attachments

• PART_1422655922601_NCM_0624.jpg
      PART_1422655922601_NCM_0624.jpg
      135.9 KB · Views: 31
    • PART_1422656062796_NCM_0606.jpg
      PART_1422656062796_NCM_0606.jpg
      217.6 KB · Views: 28
    Last edited:
    Traps get way more out here in the flat. They can still pop up 20y from you when calling, as though they materialized in that spot.

A good .25 pellet in the skull is safe and quite.

The article said 10 minutes to strangle it. :oops:

My dad had one jump through a fence into his lap once. He jabbed it away with his barrel, that pissed it off, and the coyote bristled up and started back at him. Once he started shooting it had an immediate change of heart. He didn't hit it though.

Reactions: wh20crazy
    Use a bow, or trap and then an arrow at close range...

If it returns I'm setting a trap. My wife said she'll be pissed for a long time if I catch a dog or cat. Lol. She wants a cage type trap. I'm not spending that kind of money. I'm probably going to use a soft jaw leg trap, then, if I catch it, pop it with a .22. I think I can get away with one shot in town.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    If it returns I'm setting a trap. My wife said she'll be pissed for a long time if I catch a dog or cat. Lol. She wants a cage type trap. I'm not spending that kind of money. I'm probably going to use a soft jaw leg trap, then, if I catch it, pop it with a .22. I think I can get away with one shot in town.
    Offset jaw or better yet, laminated offset jaw. The soft catch is bs. Doubtful a yote would go in a livetrap. ~$25 you can get a catchpole to release any neighbor's dogs/cats and works great to dispatch too.

Offset jaw or better yet, laminated offset jaw. The soft catch is bs. Doubtful a yote would go in a livetrap. ~$25 you can get a catchpole to release any neighbor's dogs/cats and works great to dispatch too.
    just get a half a sheet of plywood and cut a hole in the bottom. Youtube search it. Great way to do it, way better than a catch pole.

and @wh20crazy you’ll never get one in a live trap. If you ever did, you would know beyond any doubt it was a polish coyote.

• Haha
    My dad once caught a great Dane. He just knew he was going to have to kill it. He sat down beside the dog and talked to him for a while (had his pistol beside him). When he released the jaws, the dog didn't move. Once blood started flowing, the dog yelped and hauled ass. The dog jumped up on the seat of the truck and thought my dad was his hero. Lol.

Sounds like a plan, though a Havahart type trap is more secure and also a good investment to keep for future. It is your decision in the end, of course. And make sure there are no Karen types living near you that will "file a complaint" against you if they hear or observe you discharging even a .22. I have had the pleasure of dealing with these in the past when I was target shooting on perfectly legal land. So joke was on them LOL.

I hate traps out in the wild; many a good bird dog has been crippled by one.

I hate traps out in the wild; many a good bird dog has been crippled by one.

That sucks. An ethical landowner would not allow trapping and hunting with dogs at the same time.

This was right up the road a couple miles from me

And I think the reason for brave/aggressive yotes is redtail hawks. The hawk population around here has exploded. They are getting the easy prey the yotes used to get.

If only they were attacking the right people...
    Disney says this is entirely impossible.

R

That's with wolves in particular. After the movie "White Fang" it says that there has never been documentation of a healthy wolf or wolf pack attacking a human in the N. American continent. Ever. Not one. That's a pretty bold statement if false.

Now sick, starving, old and broken teeth, turned onto human food --all bets off. But again, that's not a healthy animal in the wild anymore.

I've been literally feet from coyotes in the wild and the not so wild many, many times and not once has one ever attacked, growled or otherwise showed hostile intent. If anything they skit off if you come too close.

The ground squirrels on Mt. Rainier are much braver, they'll get behind a small rock or a can and have a stand off with you.

That's with wolves in particular. After the movie "White Fang" it says that there has never been documentation of a healthy wolf or wolf pack attacking a human in the N. American continent. Ever. Not one. That's a pretty bold statement if false.

Now sick, starving, old and broken teeth, turned onto human food --all bets off. But again, that's not a healthy animal in the wild anymore.

I've been literally feet from coyotes in the wild and the not so wild many, many times and not once has one ever attacked, growled or otherwise showed hostile intent. If anything they skit off if you come too close.

The ground squirrels on Mt. Rainier are much braver, they'll get behind a small rock or a can and have a stand off with you.
    When I was younger I decided to deer hunt a property I had access to right after a heavy snow which was followed by freezing rain which created a crunchy layer of ice on top of powdery snow. I knew I would make way too much noise going in by foot through my normal route, but the spot where I had a natural ground blind built up was right along the creek. I put my waders on and gave myself an extra hour to get into position (afternoon hunt) quietly and slowly walking upstream through the creek bed. I walked around one of the creek bends, cutting closely to the inside creek bank, and a coyote who had been bedded down (presumably enjoying the afternoon sun on that bent/point) stood up less than 3 feet from me at just above my face level. I about shit my waders. We stood there staring at each other for a few moments and the. he ran off.
    One of the coolest moments of my hunting career. Shot a nice mature doe that evening too. ?

Seems like there's a lot more coyote attacks in the NE, mostly from "coydogs", coyotes that have bred with dogs. Those are apparently more aggressive and less skittish then regular coyotes.

Lots of coyotes and other critters where I live, my property borders a desert wash. Regularly see coyotes, bobcats, Hawks, owls, etc. The coyotes aren't terribly brazen, but they certainly aren't afraid of people. I'm just outside of city limits, but lots of people where I'm at so there's no hunting pressure. Need to be vigilant when our 21lb dog is out and about.

If you guys have to dispatch a coyote and not want to worry about alerting the neighbors, maybe look into a high power .22, .25 or .30 cal pellet gun. Moderators/suppressors are completely legal for them and not regulated, you can purchase a very deadly and quiet setup that's perfectly legal and easily capable of dispatching a coyote. An Edgun Leishy with a .30 cal barrel would be about perfect for a short range coyote gun. Even a .22 or .25 would work as well.