• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Manfrotto 055

dcmdon

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
Hi all, I'm easing my way into all the stuff I'm going to need to shoot rimfire PRS in the spring. I'd like to get a tripod and am considering a Manfrotto 055. I used them many years ago when I did more photography and remember them as very sturdy and high quality.

They are very reasonably priced because there are tons of them out on the used market. ($300 for carbon fiber, 125 for aluminum). Would this be a good choice for shooting off of or am I better off buying something new and Chinese. I hate to buy Chinese stuff if I can avoid it. The older Manfrotto's are still made in Italy.

If I do get one of these, can anyone recommend a head with an arca clamp?

Or, after doing some research, should I just buy a Leofoto LS-364C carbon tripod with an LH40 ball head and arca clamp for $290 and just be done with it.

I realize that if I really get into this, I may want to upgrade. But realistically if I can sell this locally for $200 after 2 or 3 years then I'm happy.

I'm not a huge fan of the 055 tripod, I've owned it before and the center crown just has too much slop in it. If you're going to buy used photography gear you're probably better off tracking down a used Gitzo 1325 and put a RRS TA-3 on top.

Nothing wrong with the manfrotto, look for a good deal, lots out there with little use on them. Gitzo would be a step up, RRS is top of the line and so is the cost.

I've had a 055XPROB for nearly 20 years. Right now it's sitting next to my computer in my home office because I use it as my camera tripod for video calls. This is not a tripod for shooting off of and it's barely a tripod for glassing from. I know some people like lever lock tripods, but I do not. They work pretty well when new, but once you start using a lever lock tripod heavily and it gets any dust in it, you're going to start having problems. Not to mention how temperature affects the function.