• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners barrel channel picture.

chadrp

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2017
Central Iowa
Anybody have pictures of a Manners with a straight barrel channel with medium palma barrel in it? Ive been running a medium Palma barrel and I'm trying to decide on what barrel channel to do on a new stock. Not sure if I want to stay with a Palma channel or open it up just in case I would want to go heavier and what it would look like. Thanks

No pictures but manners will open it up for free if you pay shipping... if you happen to change your mind down the road.

No pictures but manners will open it up for free if you pay shipping... if you happen to change your mind down the road.
Yeah that's true, I've got one now that in med Palma that I may send back to have opened up to heavy palma since there seems to be more prefit options in the slightly heavier marksman contour. Heavy palma was what I was planning this new one on but just thought if it didn't look terrible in a straight contour I might save a little hassle.

Here is a barrel channel for a free floated MTU barrel with a med palma barrel in it. Plenty of room and no issues.

channel.jpg

I’m thinking of doing a manners stock for a comp rifle build, and am toying around the idea of just doing a 1.25 straight cut. That way I could run whatever I want. Considering I don’t know how heavy or light I want the gun I’d like to have options.

Anyone done/do this?

I just had Manners open up a barrel channel. There was a charge. I believe it was maybe $50-$60ish.

Anybody have pictures of a Manners with a straight barrel channel with medium palma barrel in it? Ive been running a medium Palma barrel and I'm trying to decide on what barrel channel to do on a new stock. Not sure if I want to stay with a Palma channel or open it up just in case I would want to go heavier and what it would look like. Thanks
I have 2 w 1.350 straight. One has a Bartlein Marksman contour. Let me go dig it out from the safe.

I’m thinking of doing a manners stock for a comp rifle build, and am toying around the idea of just doing a 1.25 straight cut. That way I could run whatever I want. Considering I don’t know how heavy or light I want the gun I’d like to have options.

Anyone done/do this?

Why not just think out the build and then you will know what you will probably use and can order accordingly?

Thanks rob! That's not too bad. Did you have to order anything specific to get the palma to fit in the MTU channel since the 1.25 shank is slightly longer with a palma contour?

No that stock had an MTU in it before so had it ordered for it. Then just rebarreled and it fit fine.

Why not just think out the build and then you will know what you will probably use and can order accordingly?

Honestly just to make changes easier. If all I’m losing is it looking a little off it seems like a viable option for a comp gun that I may want to play with different contours. Was just seeing if anyone else does it.

My other option was just to pick the heaviest contour I’d like to use but then I’m constrained to taper specs as well.

Reactions: Rob01
I don't think it looks off. I set mine up for the same reason. Plus it aids in cooling during the hot summer months.

Thanks BCX, I appreciate pics. Marksman was what I was thinking of going with so that's a good view of what it would look like. Looks like a fair amount of gap but you make a good point on getting more air around it for cooling

I can measure the gap if need be? That was a close up. Always looks bigger in the pic lol. Plus thats a straight 1.350 so if i decide to run a Proof CF bull barrel.

No you dont need to measure it. I'll just measure my barrel at the end of my stock and have a pretty close number. Yeah I'm sure it looks bigger in the close up than in person when your actually looking for it.

Reactions: BCX
Also, it sands out easy. My manners was a rem varmint and I replaced it with a marksman so I had to clearance a bit. I decided to take a dremel sanding wheel, it’s chewed into it so fast. It’s easy to do, sand paper on a dowel will make it easy to clearance.

I just had Manners open up a barrel channel. There was a charge. I believe it was maybe $50-$60ish.
That’s the easiest way but 20 minutes with some sand paper and a couple sockets and it can be done yourself. I opened a ctr contour to a medium Palma and it looks like it came from manners like that. I usually open them quickly with little regard to following the lines closeley but took my time with this one and it turned out.

Yup it's pretty easy to open them up. I have used a dowel and some sandpaper before and it makes short work of it. After I clean off the dust and hit it with some clear sealant.

Honestly just to make changes easier. If all I’m losing is it looking a little off it seems like a viable option for a comp gun that I may want to play with different contours. Was just seeing if anyone else does it.

My other option was just to pick the heaviest contour I’d like to use but then I’m constrained to taper specs as well.

That's what I meant about choosing heaviest you might use and then can go down from there. You can just get it straight but as an example I know I won't use any heavier than M24/40 contour now so I have mine come in that. Small differences in contour are not a problem. If you find a spot touching just hit it with some sandpaper to free float it in that area. Easy.

As mentioned above, super easy to open up. Maybe 20-25min of time, a 1" wooden dowel and sand paper...

I opened up a Rem Varm channel a few days ago to fit a bull 1.07" straight barrel. Used 80grit to get the meat of it opened up then used some 220 to smooth it out. Just wrap the sand paper sheet around the dowel and run it back and forth in the barrel channel.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I didnt think to go a little larger on my current manners and it's pretty tight and carbon lined so not sure I should mess with it but no accuracy issues with it.

I think I will probably end up going mtu or heavy palma channel as that's probably as heavy as I would ever go. I think this new barrel will be a marksman for just a touch more forward balance point than my med palma is.