• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners-DBM Mini Chassis vs. DBM

Firefour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Will be stocking my build shortly and wondering if there is any advantage of using the manners chassis vs getting a regular mcmillan,
manners stock, bedding the action and using a badger,surgeon DBM?

Accuracy of bedded vs the chassis system, any difference?
Thanks

Re: Manners-DBM Mini Chassis vs. DBM

I run both... both very good systems.

Chassis adds more weight if that is an issue or not.

can't go wrong either way. 6 one/ half dozen the other !

Mini chassis. Bedding is extra time and very laborious or expensive if you pay someone to do it. Most bedding compounds are also susceptible to deterioration from any aggressive solvents, etc. plus you still have to buy and install the dmb. When my mini chassis T5 came in, I bolted it in, torqued it, went to the range and shot ragged holes. Needless to say, I've been sold on chassis over bedding ever since.

I have this same question and just started a thread on it but posted a link to this one for everyone to post their responses here.

Besides weight is there any change in accuracy or performance between chassis and full bed?

I have a mini chassis and it does the job great. The mini chassis offers the versatility of having multiple barreled actions and one host stock.

I do prefer the feel and function of Surgeons bottom metal as well as the overall look and feel of a good bed job over the mini chassis.

The mini chassis does weigh more but since I have a 24" #7 barrel I don't think I would notice the difference in weight. Additionally, a good bed job may have a positive increase in accuracy since the stock is perfectly mated to the action but I don't blame my misses on having a mini chassis. In fact, I have no complaints with regard to my current set up other than preferring the mag release on the Surgeon bottom metal over the release on the mini chassis.

In a nutshell, if I did not already have a mini chassis I would buy a Manners, Surgeon bottom metal, and have it bedded simply because I prefer the mag release of the Surgeon.

I got my first mini chassis in my .243/308 switch barrel and it's every bit as accurate as my bedded Manners stock. I will get another for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my first mini chassis in my .243/308 switch barrel and it's every bit as accurate as my bedded Manners stock. I will get another for sure. </div></div>

Like Rob, I haven't one bit of difference in accuracy between having a mini chassis versus a standard bedding job. I liked mine so much that I just ordered another Manners stock with the mini-chassis option. It's a very solid, accurate platform.

A little addition the the original question. Would a HS Precision PSS stock with a DBM work okay? Just for game, paper punching, and a little Fclass for fun.

Reason I ask, job will be gone in a year or two, so looking at the best ecomomy also.
Thanks

Yes, it works just fine. the HS bottom metal is nice for what you are describing.

regarding the original questions, the MCS vs. a good bedding job is no different as far as accuracy or other concerns that I have seen in any of mine.

I had two AICSs before this, and I really liked them, but I love my Mini-chassis in my T4, the only issue I have is it seems to crank the barrel to the right. I thought it was the rifle in the stock at first, but when I ditched it for another barreled action, I found out I was wrong. I ended up having to open up the forearm channel to keep my barrel from resting on the stock. You can see it clear as day, you start to bolt it in and it starts creeping to the right.

It shoots fine, I like the ergos and build quality of the manners, I just wish it fit right. I would have sent it back, but I had a match to shoot,and did not have time to wait. That seems to be the story of my life!

Anyway, I would still recommend one, I really like that it comes w/ DBM, and that it does not require bedding. It's the best of both worlds!

I run both a bedded MCM A5 and a Manners T4 w/ MINI-Chassis.Both are acuurate, like said above you will have down town as well as more money in a bedded MCM. I've shot many groups in the .1's with the Mini Chassis rifle, so I see no really to go the other route unless you are set on a particular DBM other than Badger. However, I do like the Marbled Molded in Camo of the MCM over any options from Manners.

I don't see that this could come down to accuracy, both can be done right and both can be done wrong.

In my opinion, the chassis is all about convenience and "ease of use."

I've shot plenty of unbedded McMillans and liked the results. I have also seen bad bedding jobs deteriorate accuracy.

I prefer chassis, owning both chassis Manners and bedded Manners/McMillans. They are just so damned easy to get up and running and keep them running right.

All that, and bedding is a pain in the ass.

I have the MC in two manners stocks. A true bolt and go system. One went from a pillar bedded a5 to a mini chassis t2a and my groups shrank. Not much, but any shrinkage of that variety is a good thing. Plus, the chassis is 365 ready to rock while a badger dbm and pillar bedding could run 350+200ish. Easy choice for me.

I have both systems. Surgeon bottom metal is very nice. If I was building a rifle from the ground up, I would probably go with a bedded Manners T3 and Surgeon DBM. If I already had a barreled action, I would drop it into the mini chassis.

I personally hate bedding, and love my mini chassis stocks. For one, its nice to be able to swap around barreled actions without worrying about bedding issues.

The mini-chassis is superior. Why? You can use multiple barreled actions in it, it doesn't deteriorate over time, it isn't suddenly specific to a single action that was bedded to it, you don't have to pay for a bedding job, if you sell it the value isn't hurt by bedding. Weight is for the most part the same.

My old GAP I pulled out of the T2 that it was bedded in and shot it in a Manner T4A that I had for another rifle. It shot as good in the mini-chassis as it did in the bedded gun---under half MOA.

If you decide to order the Manners mini-chassis, have them inlet it for a Timney trigger if you ever intend to possibly change out for one, otherwise you'll have to do some fitting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you decide to order the Manners mini-chassis, have them inlet it for a Timney trigger if you ever intend to possibly change out for one, otherwise you'll have to do some fitting.</div></div>

That's the truth!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mini-chassis is superior. Why? You can use multiple barreled actions in it, it doesn't deteriorate over time, it isn't suddenly specific to a single action that was bedded to it, you don't have to pay for a bedding job, if you sell it the value isn't hurt by bedding.</div></div>
This is true, but then you don't get Surgeon DBM, which is really nice. Also, if you're not planning on swapping several barreled actions through the same stock then the mini chassis doesn't have much advantage. GAP, Gradous, APA, Surgeon, PCR, etc. all pillar bed customers' rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to order the Manners mini-chassis, have them inlet it for a Timney trigger if you ever intend to possibly change out for one, otherwise you'll have to do some fitting.</div></div>
Very true, and you'll need a carbide bit to do the cutting. I learned my lesson the first time. In addition to the Timney inlet, I also had them mill out extra sections for the side bolt release and bolt handle so that I could drop in either my R700 or my 591 as needed.

So being cheaper and not deteriorating over time is not an advantage?

Interesting thought process.

Things happen with rifles...barrels don't last forever, and people often change plans.

The Surgeon bottom metal may be "nice" bit it isn't a must have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So being cheaper and not deteriorating over time is not an advantage?</div></div> Sure they are. I'm not convinced that a professional bedding job with marine tex or devcon is going to deteriorate appreciably over the life of the rifle. In my view, it's a completely negligible consideration unless you can point me to evidence that shows it's cause for concern. The USMC's A3 and A5 rifles are bedded. If bedding is good enough for them than it should be good enough for anyone. If we are going to go there then I could comment on the aluminum bedding block in the mini chassis sets up the perfect stage for a galvanic cell should any fluid seep between the barreled action. Again, I don't believe this stuff is worth arguing over.

As for cost, you have a point. A bedded stock with Surgeon DBM costs more than the mini-chassis. However, many gunsmiths and shooters believe that a properly pillar bedded rifle will shoot more accurately. As you have implied, this is debatable.

I own both systems and endorse both systems. I think, in the end, it's a personal choice. For me, if I was building a rifle from the ground up, I would want my rifle to be custom fit and bedded in the stock with Surgeon DBM. If I had a barreled action and just needed a chassis system to be in business, I would go with a Manners mini chassis. The beauty of this hobby is that there are multiple options available to suit the varied preferences, aesthetics, and budgets of its participants.

I have a Manners stock w/Surgeon BM and a Manners stock w/the mini chassis. I will take the Manners w/the Surgeon BM every time. I can find the mag well w/ease. I have issues finding the mag well w/the mini chassis. That said, the mini chassis is on my hunting rig....so, I am not worried about fast mag changes. I love the Surgeon BM on my comp gun. This is obviously just my opinion. Hope it helps.

-Al

This is a tough decision,,,
Manners, Mcmillan with a badger, surgeon, etc dbm, bedding
Manners with a mini chassis
About the same money for either

An HS precision pss stock with a dbm
couple of hundred bucks cheaper
damn,,,,

Manners with mini chassis will be less than bedding a rifle and DBM by the cost of the bed job.

HS isn't in the same league.

One can argue that the V block system of a chassis is not as good because it induces stress into the barrel action. Torque down your barreled action in a chassis then loosen the front screw. The front of your barreled action will rise. Then do the same with a bedded rifle or a bedded chassis and the barreled action should not rise because there is less/no stress. Just food for thought

Here's another log on the fire,, what about the AICS line of stocks? Similar to a mini chassis in the way the action rests?

The mini chassis is a semi or free floating rear tang the AICS is not. So similar but not the same in that respect. Is one better than the other? im sure you can argue both sides

You can argue the pros and cons of any concept but the proof is in the pudding. The mini chassis works just fine and is plenty accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can argue the pros and cons of any concept but the proof is in the pudding. The mini chassis works just fine and is plenty accurate.</div></div>
+1

OP, They all work well, it boils down to personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Firefour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
An HS precision pss stock with a dbm
couple of hundred bucks cheaper
damn,,,,</div></div> Don't go with HS precision unless you already have one on hand and you're pleased with it. Manners and McMillan are much better.

Gentlemen,, thanks for all the input. I have decided on getting a manners with a mini chassis. I feel it will fit my needs better than other options. May have another barreled action in the future needing a stock, which the chassis would fit the bill just right, plus, I don't have to grow older waiting on a bed job.

Leaning toward the manners T5,, or Gat. Like the thumbhole feel.
Anyone know the main difference in these two stocks??
Thanks