• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners ELR light stock and rear bag choice

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
I'm wondering what bag you use to make small adjustments in vertical with the Manners ELR light stock with the flat/level bag rider, or a similar fclass type stock.

I have a JoyPod X with the joystick but wouldn't mind being able to make small adjustments without touching the bipod.

Anyone use an airbag in the rear? Do you get any reticle bounce?

I'm disabled so I can't squeeze a rear bag with my off hand so that's not an option.

Does anyone use an angled rear bag with a flat and level buttstock? I have, and have done ok with it, but I wouldn't mind getting away from that setup.

Intended purpose shooting ELR matches. This build will replace my 338LM that I've shot a few matches with already.

Thanks,
Scott

Reactions: absp123
Personally I use a bag that I can manipulate to get the desired height.
I'm currently playing around with some different bags just to get the right height.
Manners released a stock with an option adjustable bag rider, not sure what actions it is able to accommodate.
could likely add an ABR to what ever stock you want to use

4AW offers an adjustable bag bag base that may work for you also. I think there is other brands out there but not sure

Reactions: A5scott
Yes, the Manners LRT 2.0 has an optional adjustable bag rider but they said they don't recommend it for 1.47" actions like the BAT CT. Manners said it's for 1.75" and 2" actions. That's where the Manners ELR light stock comes in, but they don't offer it with the ABR, as they say there isn't enough meat on the butt to accommodate it.

I've seen Terry Dines and 4AW adjustable bases and they look excellent. I just wouldn't mind finding an option that doesn't require turning knobs
I was originally thinking McMillan A6-A7 Supermag with the angled rear, but I wanted to try the Manners

Scott

Reactions: Taylorbok
Yes, the Manners LRT 2.0 has an optional adjustable bag rider but they said they don't recommend it for 1.47" actions like the BAT CT. Manners said it's for 1.75" and 2" actions. That's where the Manners ELR light stock comes in, but they don't offer it with the ABR, as they say there isn't enough meat on the butt to accommodate it.
I was a little sad to find this out to say the least. I had planned to order one of these stocks but wasn't using the larger action.
I'm hoping to have something custom made with ABR built into the stock. Either Cerus or another company up in Canada here, Rifles Refined.

Our URSA shooters just got 3 of those stocks after a year wait and 2 of them where for 1.47 BAT CT actions.
I called Manners and was told they couldn't give me a time only that it would be more than a year wait.

Attachments

• IMG_9856.jpg
    IMG_9856.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9736.jpg
    IMG_9736.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Resized_20230321_151042.jpeg
    Resized_20230321_151042.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 226
I was a little sad to find this out to say the least. I had planned to order one of these stocks but wasn't using the larger action.
I'm hoping to have something custom made with ABR built into the stock. Either Cerus or another company up in Canada here, Rifles Refined.
Yes I was surprised that they couldn't work an ABR into the light version.
Something like what Rocketmandb had made to attach to the butt pad area should do the trick.
I'm gonna give the air foil bag a try one if these days
Post up your version if you get something fabricated.

Scott

Our URSA shooters just got 3 of those stocks after a year wait and 2 of them where for 1.47 BAT CT actions.
I called Manners and was told they couldn't give me a time only that it would be more than a year wait.
Those are beautiful.
Do you mind if I ask how much the stock itself weighs and how much the 1.47" CT build weighs? I'm wondering if that would make the 26# light gun cap.

Scott

Those are beautiful.
Do you mind if I ask how much the stock itself weighs and how much the 1.47" CT build weighs? I'm wondering if that would make the 26# light gun cap.

Scott
When I talked to Paul Phillips he figured they maxed out around 13 lbs. I’m not totally in love with carbon either so gives me a reason to have something custom made. Rifles refined figures he can make it happen but be a wait also, if it all comes together I’ll post it up

When I talked to Paul Phillips he figured they maxed out around 13 lbs. I’m not totally in love with carbon either so gives me a reason to have something custom made. Rifles refined figures he can make it happen but be a wait also, if it all comes together I’ll post it up

ok yeah 13 pounds would put it way over the 26# limit, so that would ruin it for me and light gun ELR

I think the ELR light stock comes in around 5#

Scott

ok yeah 13 pounds would put it way over the 26# limit, so that would ruin it for me and light gun ELR

I think the ELR light stock comes in around 5#

Scott
In regards to stocks, I have both the LRT light and LRT 2.0 heavy. My LRT light is right at the limit coming out to 25 pounds and 7 ounces, fully loaded with an ATACR 7-35 sitting on top of it. I use an era-tac permanently set at 20 MOA to take advantage of my full scope elevation and negate the need of a prism to save weight.

The pictured LRT is chambered in 33xc, 1.45 inch straight barrel, 30”.

In regards to rear rests for the light stock, Ryan Cheney makes rear air foil bags that are very reasonably priced that I’ve seen around the ELR circuit. Quick shipping too. I personally have not used them. If you use a bipod EXT, you will probably not need an adjustable rear bag.

I have both the adjustable rear rests from 5 AW and Terry dines, hands down I would go with Terry Dines one over the 5AW. Match that with the ELR wedge or hunters wedge from thunderbird long range and you’ll be all set.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpeg
    IMG_2906.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
In regards to stocks, I have both the LRT light and LRT 2.0 heavy. My LRT light is right at the limit coming out to 25 pounds and 7 ounces, fully loaded with an ATACR 7-35 sitting on top of it. I use an era-tac permanently set at 20 MOA to take advantage of my full scope elevation and negate the need of a prism to save weight.

The pictured LRT is chambered in 33xc, 1.45 inch straight barrel, 30”.

In regards to rear rests for the light stock, Ryan Cheney makes rear air foil bags that are very reasonably priced that I’ve seen around the ELR circuit. Quick shipping too. I personally have not used them. If you use a bipod EXT, you will probably not need an adjustable rear bag.

I have both the adjustable rear rests from 5 AW and Terry dines, hands down I would go with Terry Dines one over the 5AW. Match that with the ELR wedge or hunters wedge from thunderbird long range and you’ll be all set.

God I love the arctic camo, and hope Manners finds a good source again... Beautiful rifle!

Ok so I'm planning on a 34" that will have kind of a Palma style profile, and hopefully won't have to chop my barrel shorter to make weight.

What is it about the Bipode EXT that you might not need an adjustable rear end with it?

Thank you for the heads up on the rear rests and bags.

Scott

Reactions: Moodilistic
God I love the arctic camo, and hope Manners finds a good source again... Beautiful rifle!

Ok so I'm planning on a 34" that will have kind of a Palma style profile, and hopefully won't have to chop my barrel shorter to make weight.

What is it about the Bipode EXT that you might not need an adjustable rear end with it?

Thank you for the heads up on the rear rests and bags.

Scott
If you can slide the bipod fore and aft it's sort of like raising or lowering the bipod. The closer the bipod gets to the shooter the higher the barrel will be pointed.

Reactions: Moodilistic
That’s correct. You can also cant. The ext is truly a game changer for larger, longer barrels.

There are plenty of ways/tricks to make weight, case in point, one of my heavy ELR rifles came out 53 pounds, primarily due to the 2” straight 38” barrel. I swapped components (scope mount, scope, bipod, brake, 100 yard zero with a 15” offset so that I don’t use a prism) and now I’m within weight.

Terry dines helped tremendously to provide some of the components needed to get under weight.

Rifle is attached for reference. (Photo credit: @BillyGoatMachine)

Attachments

• IMG_9574.jpeg
    IMG_9574.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2468.jpeg
    IMG_2468.jpeg
    659.5 KB · Views: 88
Did they give you a lead time? I've heard up to 2 years. I've got a new action and barrel should be here 2-3 months, I've been considering Terry Dines Fussion Pro Stealth chassis just because I can have it in about a month.
No lead time. But Ive wanted one for quite a while. So Whatever it takes. Anyway I just bought a Joe Updike Fast Chassis for my 416 Stroker .I have two 375 Cheytacs with all with same Stiller Tac Driver 1.6 action.So I can move two around.One is Left Hand Bolt though.

Last edited:
No lead time. But Uve wanted obe for quite a while. So Whatever it takes. Anyway I just bought a Joe Updike Fast Chassis for my 416 Stroker .I have two 375 Cheytacs with all with same Stiller Tac Driver 1.6 action.So I can move two around.One is Left Hand Bolt though.
My problem is I'm not a fan of aluminum chassis, maybe I could learn to love it. Carbon isn't really my jam either but I feel I could jive with that much easier. However it's hard to wait that long for something a guy doesn't really want. If Mcmillan would re design their beast to have a flat but I'd be all over that. Currently looking into having something custom made from wood.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
My problem is I'm not a fan of aluminum chassis, maybe I could learn to love it. Carbon isn't really my jam either but I feel I could jive with that much easier. However it's hard to wait that long for something a guy doesn't really want. If Mcmillan would re design their beast to have a flat but I'd be all over that. Currently looking into having something custom made from wood.
I've have 5 McRees chassis with swing/foldable stocks.I had to put a set screw in a couple to stop the wobble. I wanted to try something different so several of my friends suggested Joe Updikes.
I have Manners stock I like.Its my favorite I own as far as non aluminum stocks.But its on my 6GT .
My favorite aluminum is my MDT. I should have Ordered a Manners a year ago and I'd have it now

I ordered a Manners ELR light last February. I know it could still be another 6 or 7 months, but I just emailed to see if they have a timeframe for the batch I'm in... Hopefully we will know soon how long these are taking.

I have a beast 2 being built out, and I like an angled butt stock with a wedge rear bag, but I like Manners stocks a bit more than McM. The main reason I went with the Beast 2 was my gunsmith suggested that if I wanted the stock in a reasonable timeframe, to go with McM.

Scott

I ordered a Manners ELR light last February. I know it could still be another 6 or 7 months, but I just emailed to see if they have a timeframe for the batch I'm in... Hopefully we will know soon how long these are taking.

I have a beast 2 being built out, and I like an angled butt stock with a wedge rear bag, but I like Manners stocks a bit more than McM. The main reason I went with the Beast 2 was my gunsmith suggested that if I wanted the stock in a reasonable timeframe, to go with McM.

Scott
A flat ABR is the most stable way to adjust point of aim and will track the best. If you are running no ABR the angled butt works like a charm.

A flat ABR is the most stable way to adjust point of aim and will track the best. If you are running no ABR the angled butt works like a charm.

I have an ABR on an MPA chassis and it's excellent. I still kind of prefer making small elevation adjustments by just leaning into the rifle a bit, sliding it on the wedge rear bag. Also means I should check out a bipod ext thingy, but reaching far up front to lock and unlock the levers is a pain for me.

Scott