• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners Folding Stock Long-Term Review

thrusty

Patriot
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Hedgesville, WV
My Google-fu is strong... I've went back and forth reading reviews on these stocks and I've even held and shot them. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about them.
Matter of fact, I want one, but I need more info...specifically, long term use and durability of the folding mechanism and fit.

I am seeking out those who have shot 1000's of rounds while the action was sitting in one of these folding stocks.

Couple questions:
Round count?
What model?
Is the lock-up still as strong as the day you got it?
Would you order another?
What would you like changed or what would you order differently with the stock?

Any other constructive input is welcome.

I've had my Savage 10 staggerfeed in a TF4 for about 2 years now. Probably ~1000 rounds and 10-15 field outings. After getting it, I played with the folding action incessantly. I've let anybody interested in checking it out screw with it. I feel it's been decently well-used.

It locks up 100%. the release button has gotten easier to actuate with all the use, and that's a good thing because it was awful stiff to begin with. The only negative I can think to say about it is the added weight and the fact it folds to the left, making the whole folded package pretty wide. When you consider the maximum width, from folded stock to bolt knob, it's pretty damn wide and doesn't like sliding all the way down to the bottom of the scabbard in an Eberlestock very much (it will go, but it's tight).

Another data point for you is how the hinge system handled being dropped out of a helicopter (twice) during Jared's "Paragon" testing series (available on youtube). The stock itself broke through the pistol grip area, but the folding system was intact and good to go.

Plus, you know with Tom Manners standing behind it, you can totally trust them.

Would I buy it again? Meh. Maybe, maybe not. I regret putting that much money into a Salvage (not the stock's fault, but still something to think about). I can't honestly say it has afforded me much extra convenience in handling/transporting my 26"+brake rifle. It does make me a bit shorter when humping the rifle in the scabbard, but it doesn't fit in a Storm/Pelican case when folded). It adds weight that doesn't really need to be there. After owning it for two years, my opinion is it would be ideally suited to a ~16-20" LEO sharpshooter rifle, where the ~10" shortening up of the whole rifle is a bigger percentage of the total. A 40" rifle being shortened by 10" is a much bigger deal than a 50" one being shortened by 10".

Last edited:
Good Q&A. I was having the same questions. I always like to ask, especially on high dollar items, "would you buy it again."

HE, hats off for the thoughtful response. I was wondering about the thickness, too. It might be a nice option to have if you were carrying the stick uncased behind the seat. I have a B 2500 king cab and sometimes carry a long gun in the cargo area. The folder might be nice for that, but an 18" rifle is pretty handy in a std configuration stock.

One of the rifles I fired in a MCS-TF1A was an 18" Snipers Hide group buy rifle. With the stock closed up, it didn't feel like it was overly thick...However, the overall feel of the rifle when it was folded reminded me of a sub-gun...which was extremely neat. ;)

Guess it just depends on how much room you have behind the seat of the King Cab...

Mine fits quite nicely folded in my Mega Cab:) only a couple hundred rounds through my .260 so far so unfortunately nothing really helpful to add. They are on the heavy side though and I doubt I will purchase another one unless I'm building a shorty.

folder009.jpg

Mine gets used almost daily, and has over 1000 rounds fired. It's still tight as a drum, and has worked perfectly. You need to keep the connecter cleaned, and lubed if you're working in a dusty, dry environment.

Manners Folding Stock Long-Term Review

[MENTION=17825]psinclair[/MENTION] is that folder a carbon fiber model (looks like elite GAP camo)? Would you happen to have an actual weight of it if so?
I'm actually considering a MCS-TF1A CF with DBM chassis....I guess my ultimate goal is lightweight and portability.

Question for anyone...how do you carry your folder with a sling? Would I also need a flush cup on the right side of the butt so I can attach the sling on the left side when it's folded?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
[MENTION=17825]psinclair[/MENTION] is that folder a carbon fiber model (looks like elite GAP camo)? Would you happen to have an actual weight of it if so?
I'm actually considering a MCS-TF1A CF with DBM chassis....I guess my ultimate goal is lightweight and portability.

Question for anyone...how do you carry your folder with a sling? Would I also need a flush cup on the right side of the butt so I can attach the sling on the left side when it's folded?

Thrusty,

I believe the elite tactical folders are apx 1lb lighter than the originals in the same layout, if my pathetic memory is working. If you go from an original with adjustable cheek (apx 4 lbs) to the one above w/o adj cheek, your cutting apx 2 lbs I believe. The catch being you may have to get some kind of cheek riser.

As far as carrying... I assumed you'd carry the rifle slinged while opened up and inside a pack like above while folded so you can hike, climb, crawl, run.

Think carrying the bolt gun with it slung around your neck while you jump on the 4wheeler to drive between varmint/predator shooting positions. Wouldn't necessarily put it in a pack...just need something to keep the tree limbs from grabbing the rifle while driving. (Yeah we have scabbards and gun racks...but it's more handy if it's already in your arms).

Who makes that cheek riser, or did you create it yourself? Looks very nice and clean and still allows folding of the stock.

That's thick saddle leather I wet formed, dyed, and attached to add a little height to the comb, plus when it's 30* below, or 100* above, leather is a little more cheek friendly that anything else...

Yep, carbon fiber.....I couldn't tell what it weighs though. You'd have to ask Tom.

Mine doesn't have a flush cup on the right side. The balance might be a little funky carrying it with a sling folded.....?