• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners GAT Owners Question

CarbonOne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2010
Utah
So, I'm the proud new owner of a 338rum in a manners GAT stock. It has a 28" Lija barrel on it.

I went to clean it tonight. I use a proshot boreguide and rod. I can't run a rod through it due to how high the stock is. It'll go in but I'm afraid of marking up the stock.

What do you guys use? I imagine a long rod with a lot of flex may work?? But what I've got ain't working and there's no way I'm sticking a rod in from the muzzle.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Manners GAT Owners Question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CarbonOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, I'm the proud new owner of a 338rum in a manners GAT stock. It has a 28" Lija barrel on it.

I went to clean it tonight. I use a proshot boreguide and rod. I can't run a rod through it due to how high the stock is. It'll go in but I'm afraid of marking up the stock.

What do you guys use? I imagine a long rod with a lot of flex may work?? But what I've got ain't working and there's no way I'm sticking a rod in from the muzzle.

Thanks for the help!</div></div>

I shot a GAT for a few years and that can be an issue. What I did is buy a Sinclair Bore Guide and cut it down a little. The cleaning rod will ride on top of the cheek piece but if you cut the (white Sinclair bore guide) down it will fit and it works very well.

Also I use a Dewey cleaning rod.

I haven't had an issue with cleaning my GAT stocked action.
It is a close fit and I set an old tee-shirt on the stock to keep most of the solvent off, but I don't worry too much about it. I haven't seen any ill effects from solvent on the paint. I do use a short bore guide when I get around to cleaning the barrel.

Thanks. I just ordered a 50" cleaning rod. That should be long enough to keep the handle from rubbing on the stock.

My old proshot rod has a very rough handle. I see the new ones have a new smoother handle. I imagine more than a few guys scratched the crap out of their stocks with the old ones.

I bought one of the cable cleaning kits from cabelas and have had good luck with it. 10X better than any rod cleaning system I've had. And it came in a pouch a little smaller around than a cd and it sure is nice to tote around. Maybe the cables are bad to use tho. I haven't had any problems out of it