• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Manners MCS-T1 or T4 ...more comfortable to carry?

battson

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
NZ
To those who've hunted with Manners stocks, can you help me with a question please.

I'm just about to order a Manners stock - I am totally sold on Manners... I will get a T1 or a T4 as I like the grip and hook... But I was wondering:

For all those who own them, can you please tell me which one is more confortable to carry when slung over your shoulder? Or in the hand?

I see the T1 has a ridge / bump in the forestock, just about the centre of balance. I like this design for shooting, but I would have thought it would ride up against your back in a pretty uncomfortable way, when you've got the rifle over your shoulder with a sling? Can anyone comment from experience?

I do a lot of walking when I'm out long range hunting, and I need a stock that's good to carry. Should I be looking at a T4 instead of a T1?

All advice and feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!
smile.gif

Re: Manners MCS-T1 or T4 ...more comfortable to carry?

I have no personal experiance with manners stocks and possibly this is useless info BUT have you considered a biathalon sling from tburkes on this site -I have one and they make the rifle carry a very pleasant experince and they look rather PURTY

Hey thanks for the suggestion.

As comfortable and stable as they are, I find them slow to get off the shoulder if I need to take a snap-shot at game. Also, I'm not sure it'd keep the stock from hurting my back because of the unique shape - after a week-long hunt in the mountains for instance. But I appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!

I use a T4 with left side flush cups. It rides well, no complaints. I dont have any experience with the T1

I like the T4A , also like the T2A i have. I have flush cups mounted on the left side and slung accross the back muzzle down i can carry either for a long time and the T4 is a heavy gun at about 17lbs.

I think the T1 would make it just a bit more comfortable if you have the studds of cups mounted on the opposite side of the bolt so the rifle rides flat against your back

I have a T4 with flush cups on the non-bolt side. It rides very nicely slung.

I've no experience with the T1.

Something you might think about... After I got my T4, I found that there are times the flat bottom on the butt annoys me. I was very used to moving a bag fore/aft to make elevation changes when shooting prone or from a bench with an angled stock and the flat bottom of the T4 offers none.

I would have bought a T2 most likely if it had been available in my inlet and I had thought this through a little more. If it's available in your inlet, you might consider this, unless all of your shooting is from hunting positions, in which case it may not matter.

Just a thought..

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those who've hunted with Manners stocks, can you help me with a question please.

I'm just about to order a Manners stock - I am totally sold on Manners... I will get a T1 or a T4 as I like the grip and hook... But I was wondering:

For all those who own them, can you please tell me which one is more confortable to carry when slung over your shoulder? Or in the hand?

I see the T1 has a ridge / bump in the forestock, just about the centre of balance. I like this design for shooting, but I would have thought it would ride up against your back in a pretty uncomfortable way, when you've got the rifle over your shoulder with a sling? Can anyone comment from experience?

I do a lot of walking when I'm out long range hunting, and I need a stock that's good to carry. Should I be looking at a T4 instead of a T1?

smile.gif
</div></div>

Eberlestock backpack
grin.gif

to each his own, i just sold my t4, and orderd two more t1s, a la and sa, they are more steamlined without the roundd front end as the t4. to me it makes it easyer to carry and shoot as i dont use bags, so i dont need the wide rounded forend. But either way. they are all good stocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those who've hunted with Manners stocks, can you help me with a question please.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Eberlestock backpack
grin.gif
</div></div>

Iv'e been looking *hard* at these.

I did an epic elk hunt in the North Fork with a friend last year and we both carried backpacks and lashed our rifles into the pack. The terrain was brutal. What a joy to not worry about the rifle coming unslung or banging into tress or brush.

I can only imagine that the Eberlestock must be FAR more efficient then our setup. Center of gravity alone would be an improvement.

John

Although I have both the T4 and T4-A, I have no experience with the T1.
Both of mine have flush-cups on the left side, and ride as comfortably as any conventional over-the-shoulder set up I have ever tried.
Second half of your question, regarding comfort in the hand; Obviously wider than most common "sporting" forearms, the T4s feel better to my hand than the one McM A5 I've tried. I have since become very partial to my three A3/5 stocks, when much off-hand or sling-supported prone shooting is expected.
I also own and like my Eberlestock packs, but you had asked about opinions on the stocks, not carry options.

I find my T4A very nice in hand. But then again I am not hunting and its strictly range work.

I have just recently bought a Gunslinger 2 and it does make a great rest. I used it to sight in a AR15 though.

GG

Thanks everyone for the great feedback - I really appreciate the chance to learn from your experiences!

It sounds like I am worrying about a non-issue, seeing as you've all reported they're both great stocks. Although I have to say I won't be using flush cups.

Personally I find I can get the rilfe off my shoulder the most quickly using a conventional strap (by swinging the rifle under my arm, and up to my shoulder using the sling to guide it). It wouldn't be possible with a side mounted sling... Game at 60m is as common as 600m, so snap shooting is a must.

Some details:
The project is for a rifle which is 800m capable on big game, but light enough to be using for every-day hunting, and carried during alpine hunts in the Southern Alps (hunting deer, Chamois, and Tahr).

Rem 700 LA, 7mm Magnum
Heavy sporter/light varmint contour barrel (#4)
Sounds like a Manners MCS-T1, Coyote Tan
Leupold Mark 4: 4.5-14x50 TMR with Mil adjustment to match the reticle
Holland QD brake, if the recoil means I need one.

The rifle will weigh roughly 7.6lbs all up.
I'll put up some pics as soon as the last part arrives.
laugh.gif

ive never owned a t4 but have had or currently own t2, a5 a3-5, t-1 and htg.

to "me" i like carrying the slim forened stocks more. ive sold my t2 and a5 bc of the wide forends, to me they just arent as handy.

i have no issues carrying my a3-5 either at a match or hunting and love the stock. i feel the a-series to me are more stable form prone, but like the t and adj htg for a gun that i would hunt and carry more than shoot off my belly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i feel the a-series to me are more stable form prone, but like the t and adj htg for a gun that i would hunt and carry more than shoot off my belly </div></div>
Magic - that's exactly what I needed to know!
Thanks a bunch!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunterkiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Rem 700 LA, 7mm Magnum
Heavy sporter/light varmint contour barrel (#4)
Sounds like a Manners MCS-T1, Coyote Tan
Leupold Mark 4: 4.5-14x50 TMR with Mil adjustment to match the reticle
Holland QD brake, if the recoil means I need one.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The rifle will weigh roughly 7.6lbs all up. </span>
</div></div>

I realize that this is not the point of the thread, but this seems awfully optimistic to me.

My Tikka T3 Lite with lightweight Talley rings and a Burris 4.5-14 weighed 7.75 lbs and that's a 6.6 lb rifle out of the box (the stock only weighs 1.7 lbs.)

My Rem. 700 LSS in 300WM had a #3 barrel and weighed 8.8 lbs with a Burris 4.5-14 and lightweight Talley rings.

The #4 barrel is going to add weight and the T1 will not save you a pound. If anything it's probably a wash. Your scope weighs 3 ounces less than mine. I'm guessing you end up in the 8.5-8.9 lb. range, which is still light, but probably not what you were hoping for.

John

Sorry maths error (lbs to kgs) - it should be 7.9lbs.

I weighed it yesterday, everything but the stock, and if the 90% Carbon Fibre MCS-T1 is the weight Manners quoted me, then it will be a total of 7.9lbs.

That will be a nice light rig!

I forgot about the 90% carbon...

John

Thanks John.

Is anyone able to tell me which Manners stock can be made the lightest? Or at least how light the T1 and T4 can be? I am lead to believe it's 2.4lbs

The website is slightly ambigious about whether its mentioning mean weights or minimum weights.

I run the MCS T1 with a TIS quick cuff sling and love it! Also use traditional sling swivels and have had no issues/discomfort while carrying it slung. I tote it around the mountains of WV quite a bit now and wouldn't change a thing! Best of luck with your build!

001.jpg

061207_17351-1.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg